Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There are many factors to consider for us falling off a cliff, but I think the main single factor is they completely butchered the fitness program pre season.

Combine that with too many injury prone players, the starts won’t align for this group again like they did back half of last year.

Revamp of fitness regime, getting rid of half a dozen permanently injured players, and focus on recruiting for our needs (pace pace and more pace, and a decent key back to help Weiters) and see how we go next season.

Absolute disaster lucky I had something else on.

We need a mini rebuild.

Team is slow and not skilful enough. If it’s not on our terms and if our top 5 players aren’t playing out of our skins we’ve got nothing.

McGovern
Kemp
Owies
O Hollands
Kennedy
Hewett
Pitto
Charlie
Harry
Walsh
Plus more

Have all been garbage for the 2nd half of the year.

We drank our own bath water after the Geelong game and it’s turned to shit.

I’d be aggressive at the trade table. Really agressive.

apart from Cripps weitering chsrlie Harry and TDK and maybe walshy because I’m happy to give him a pass due to his back for the 2nd half of the year I’d have everyone else on the table for any players that kick and run with half a yard of pace. They’re out there look at dambrosio from hawks.

Big off season coming up

Let's have some Vossy bingo for the presser. I nominate the following items of NuSpeak:

Process
Journey
Values
Brand
Moments
Play our way
Identity
Get to work.
Don’t know what’s wrong with player X, appears to be <something> we’ll have it scanned tomorrow.
X played because the were fit.

Our finals campaign journey from 2nd on ladder….

Fire This Is Fine GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enough is being said about the players and performance.

So I want to put a bit of acid on the crowd, at least early on. I only heard most of the game on the radio but even when we were right in the game in the first quarter every time Hawthorn were in possession and going forward the crowd was roaring with every touch and clapping. When we did... Almost crickets. This, with supposedly a Blues majority crowd.

I think a lot of supporters are almost hesitant and nervous like the players are. Granted many of us are quite scarred over the past few decades.
A novel concept, blame the supporters.

Let’s see how that plays out.

Lol after last weekend I swore I’d make plans purposefully this Sunday arvo so I couldn’t get sucked in and be disappointed again.

Then I watched the ‘it’s the hope that kills you’ Ted Lasso scene and got roped into going, absolute disaster.

Been a Voss fan but after 3 years now I still have no idea what we’re trying to do. There’s no flow in our rebound game - when it does come off it’s just talent kicking it to talent up the ground.

Stoppage game is just pure cheating, all they want to do is run forward of the footy and no matter how many times we get burnt, nothing changes.

Team defence is an absolute disaster due to our midfield refusing to work without ball in hand.

There’s honestly not one shining light about our ‘game plan’.

I won’t agree with any terms like ‘our list has been exposed’ - our list is fine, as good as anyone else’s in the top 4, there’s just a clear problem with the playing group in terms of mental fortitude and coaching… and injuries.

Best thing for the club big picture is to miss the 8. If we fall in on % and cause an EF upset you just know the club will back slap and all will be fine again.

Clearing out Russell should free up soft cap space, overpay for some two strong assistants and ffs just develop a playing style that’s identifiable and holds up. I refuse to believe that we’d be in this position if we had similar coaching as Hawthorn, Collingwood (2023 version), Geelong, Sydney etc.

As for the playing group itself, Martin, Cuningham, Marchbank have to go - can’t even believe some fans are discussing this. Gov & Saads durability are also questionable - they’re key players, can they be relied on?

Walsh’s kicking.. my god. He legit can’t hit a leading fwd no matter how much time and space he has & how good the lead is, is he damaging enough to be our #2 mid? We know what he can do, but after some injuries, attention from opposition and body copping turmoil now, is there any growth there? His defensive running is just terrible as well so he can’t be redeployed as a winger or anything either.

Small forwards personnel continue to be a problem, I don’t see that getting fixed, but once again it can be fixed from a team perspective if we cleaned up our entries and created some unpredictability.

I’m not as worried about the back 6 as if our mids pulled their finger out they wouldn’t be caught out so much.

It’s all so deflating. Another September watching other teams contend, like we’ve spent 8 years getting to this point, so clubs like Geelong can steam past us after 1 year out of the 8?

Bloody over it. #eco.#eco

As someone who has openly struggled with mental health and has faced joblessness and homelessness in the last month, to have some of that fixed to see this has funnelled a lot of those emotions right now.

I don't intend to pick fights, slur anyone or misbehave. We are all supporters and together in most cases the one love we share. But it hurts to see us do this again.

The most gutless display of sh1tful football I have ever seen a Carlton side ever dish up.
They really showed what a soft bunch of downhill skiers they really are.
McGovern soft as butter.
Saad looking for easy kicks.
Walsh, a sh1tton of nothing possessions.
Williams, might as well have slept in.
Pittonet, trade bait.
Cincotta - did he even get a kick?

The list goes on....
Given Saad pinged his hammy, that kinda explains why he’s been so off

Can you imagine, your whole bloodline following the Hawks, reminding you that they’ve won 4 premierships since my birth to our 0, went through a rebuild and have overtaken us again in the same time?

What a miserable day. Miserable.

I’ve been biting my tongue for a couple weeks now thinking just one win will make it all click, oh how foolish I was/am.

I honestly, genuinely, from the bottom of my heart think this club is about to implode from within, we may need to make some drastic changes come years end.

I’d get rid of Vossy, think he’s respectfully inept compared to a majority of the other coaches in the league. but that won’t happen, I don’t think.
Yes because 2 of my 3 brothers are Hawthorn (the other is Geelong) and so there's 8 flags there to to our 0.
What REALLY irks me off is that none of them are members, and only have interest when they are winning, yet I've been the poor sucker who's stuck fat with consecutive membership for the last 24 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back