VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t that the knock on them in their draft years and why they both slid?
Happy to say Lemmey finished the game in excellent fashion, both forward and in the ruck. Think he enjoys getting more involved. Just has issues making the play for mine. Is a talent and showing “enough”. Does go missing, but fair to say most developing tall forwards are prone to that. Liked the way he fought his way in to the game, embraced team ethos.

No mention of Boyd, Motlop, Cottrell, Hollands, Cowan, Cincotta etc then Michael.?
Boyd and Cincotta are not part of the National draft.
Motlop good but his desire and work ethic is starting to be questioned
Cowans is Austin's best relative to draft position
Hollands- first round need to hit those
Cottrell was drafted by SoS
Austin is not great at drafting kids.
An Afl side last in the VFL reflects lack of draft talent

Lord , Carroll were both good, Cunners was classy when he was on ground..Binns is not allowed the freedom he got early in season and is working out new way to get involved (he was good)....is it time to try Mirkov as stay at home full forward , he would at least engage an opponent or even two , right now after he does his ruck work it feels like we a man down as he just walks around making hardly any effort even when ball is near

A lot of injuries this year has impacted our VFL depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a gap in the age. All of Austin's guys are either too young or midseason guys. Our list profile has a huge hole in it where the development projects under SOS we're basically all fails. Basically. So there's no carry in the vfl. Compounded by essentially starting a new vfl team and having a list of poor vfl players.

It is extraordinarily disingenuous to pick one tiny area of Austin's Job and extrapolate it to say he's doing poorly. He's not had many picks because he's had so much to patch up. He's hit those picks at a good enough rate / too soon for some of them.

I think people forget how horrid SOS was at drafting late picks + mids, the kind of guys who become reliable depth.

Wilson will be a jet. We missed him when he went off last week and we missed him today.

Matt Carroll might be the greatest footballer on the planet, but we’ve never see him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Getting on the front foot and writing off Lord early. Classic BF post. Glad we have some better judges of footy and development staff at the club.
How is saying

maybe as a 2 way player ... and that is a type we need

writing him off? I think he has his limitations but within those limitations he might bring something of value in a certain role. I just don't see him as a player who will damage the other side with his possessions, and I stand by that. But as a latish mid season draft pick I don't have a problem with that. I do think there was someone available at that pick I would have gone for first but that is another matter.

Last edited:
There's a gap in the age. All of Austin's guys are either too young or midseason guys. Our list profile has a huge hole in it where the development projects under SOS we're basically all fails. Basically. So there's no carry in the vfl. Compounded by essentially starting a new vfl team and having a list of poor vfl players.

It is extraordinarily disingenuous to pick one tiny area of Austin's Job and extrapolate it to say he's doing poorly. He's not had many picks because he's had so much to patch up. He's hit those picks at a good enough rate / too soon for some of them.

I think people forget how horrid SOS was at drafting late picks + mids, the kind of guys who become reliable depth.
Fwiw these are the guys that could be running around as solid depth and would've given Austin more cushion if even 30-50% of them had worked out.

Sps, macreadie, Polson, Kerr, Lebois, Gallucci, JGM, Korchek, O'Brien, Schumacher, garlett, O'Shea, Shaw, Finbar, BenSos, Goddard, Bugg, Deluca, Gibbons, Philp, ramsey, honey, Moore, Phillips

I bet people dont even remember SOS drafted some of these guys. But his hit rate for mids and smalls was abysmal. This is one hell of a list of guys that Austin should have atleast 5 or so of these guys still.

What a load of laughable rubbish. We can't count Boyd and Cincotta as draft successes? We made conscious decisions to trade our first in successive years to bring in Saad and Cerra so in reality they should be included in any discussions about list management and drafting.

An AFL team second on the ladder and right in the premiership window reflects both trade and draft success.

They ran over us in the end a 6 goal, loss. On the positive side Akuei early and Lemmey late looked bona fide AFL players. Probably too late for Dom, sadly, but early days for Harry and I wouldn't be writing him off.

Cooper Lord was very busy and I like his 2 way running. Not sure about his hurt factor, but love his inside and defensive work. Should be very valuable at 2nds level and may bring a point of difference in the firsts with his defensive side. Early days but worth keeping an eye on. Not in firsts discussions yet I would have thought. Carroll and Lemmey came home with a wet sail and showed AFL traits but the former might struggle to oust any incumbent in his role and the latter still a ways off ready but if replicates that sort of performance he puts himself in the frame either as a forward relief ruckman or if either of Charlie or Harry become unavailable. Binns again very busy and keeps pressing his case for a shot in the firsts. Mirkov dominated the taps as you would expect but nowhere near pressing his case for retention on the list much less elevation for a senior game. Cunners was good on limited (and I presume managed) minutes but not ready to elevate yet. Other than that big Durds was serviceable and could come in at a pinch but again he isn't outing anyone at the moment. Youngs stats read OK but he was pretty ordinary to my mind, likewise Marchbank is not showing much reason to consider rushing him back. We know however he is a highly regarded player internally. Little Durds looks to have done the shoulder again and 4 disposal games from Monahan and Moir speak for themselves. I think that is all our senior/rookie listed guys. As for the VFL listed and top-up guys Prout and Ferronato were the standout to my eye.

All in all no-one demanding a spot in the firsts but a few who could step in to cover injury/suspension/workload management issues that might arise.

Those who watched the game, Lord is BOG stats wise, how was his overall game?
Lord I Thought looks like some real potential there. First time I've watched him play and liked what I saw in very tough conditions.
As for all the to-ing and fro-ing about the listed players and who should be kepy v let go. Pretty straight forward for mine. Carol trade, Cunners gone, Akui gone, Mirkov gone, Yound terrible, Marchbank poor.
Can't get rid of them all at once but Lord showed more than allthose named above. Lemmy looked ok in patches. Prob want to expose him to a senior game or two to show him what it takes / expectations are. Always looks in cruise mode. There was nothing in any of today where you were remotely close to thinking wow he needs a run in the ones.

Fwiw these are the guys that could be running around as solid depth and would've given Austin more cushion if even 30-50% of them had worked out.

Sps, macreadie, Polson, Kerr, Lebois, Gallucci, JGM, Korchek, O'Brien, Schumacher, garlett, O'Shea, Shaw, Finbar, BenSos, Goddard, Bugg, Deluca, Gibbons, Philp, ramsey, honey, Moore, Phillips

I bet people dont even remember SOS drafted some of these guys. But his hit rate for mids and smalls was abysmal. This is one hell of a list of guys that Austin should have atleast 5 or so of these guys still.
Add Dow and Stocker to that list.

SPS, Dow, Stocker, LOB, Philp

3 top 10 picks plus 2 top 20 picks.

I am loving Austin's ability to bring in quality players with later / rookie picks.

No problem comparing to SOS who had a very patchy record .... but it's just not apples to apples. SOS was looking for young roughies with high numbers of late picks. Austin can be a lot more surgical taking only 2 or 3 players in the draft.

And it is way easier to bring very young players into a successful team. Very cut-throat for those youngsters when the club is struggling.

All that said I still think Austin has done extremely well and out-performed SOS on the later picks.

Interesting with Fantasia. He has been slowly building as he has gotten a bit fitter. Looked very much like the Auskick kid running round with senior team. His third goal yesterday was from right on the 50. Early on this season he couldn't kick 45 - not even close. That might be the story of his improvement in that his body is starting to let him do the things he used to be able to do.

SOS was way too by-the-numbers with later picks, kept trying to pick bust proof players with no real elite skills or retreads. Couple that with some speculative moves involving significant injury histories that other clubs baulked at, and you've got a recipe for blowing up your list profile, which happened.

Moving back over to the VFL, hard to expect much from players returning from injury, first gamers and 1st/2nd year players, especially when all the pre-game planning gets torn to bits.
I'm not as confident in carrol as others are. Was for quite a while but seems to be more Nick Graham than I'd have liked.
The ability to physically impose himself consistently through a game/season is now a big problem, and it may quickly become a problem for Binns and Lemmey too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back