2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely but it helps them squeeze in a couple more mids

You don’t put Heeney there it would be like plonking Tom Green forward it’s dumb. You want an extra mid Bont has played games starting forward or here’s an idea you have the bench jeez. Half forwards should start games forward

From a Hawthorn perspective:

The only players of relevance are:

Dylan Moore: Should be in in my view but starting to wonder if his unselfishness might cost him a spot? Had another 29 possessions on the weekend, the most score involvements on the ground (11), the most metres gained, 7 inside 50's and another couple of goal assists but didn't kick any himself. Is now 9 and 8 goals behind Stengle and Greene respectively. Greene kicked 1 this weekend but only had 4 touches and Stengle had 7 possessions, 4 clangers and no goals (obviously Moore works up the ground a bit more than those guys). I think Moore is the best half forward in the game but will the selectors focus on the goal tally? I hope not, especially considering Moore has the most score involvements of any forward and the 2nd most goal assists in the comp, whilst averaging over 20 possessions and does more defensively (tackles, tackles inside 50 and pressure acts).

James Sicily: An even more confusing one - I'm just not sure where he stands given his unique role as a key defender who is also our primary rebounder. Been incredible again but has missed 3 games and been swung forward (to great effect) but which effects his 'defensive stat averages'. As always, played on a mix of opponents on the weekend - primarily Curnow who has 2 touches in the half that he was on for. Switched around (primarily McKay after that who did not add to his goal tally from that point). Sicily had 30 possessions himself, 10 marks, 7 intercepts, 6 score involvements and 500+ metres gained.

D’Ambrosio will be a good shout and should make the extended squad. Scrimshaw a chance too.

You don’t put Heeney there it would be like plonking Tom Green forward it’s dumb. You want an extra mid Bont has played games starting forward or here’s an idea you have the bench jeez. Half forwards should start games forward
As maybe mentioned elsewhere a forward line of the following would magic to watch

Moore Curnow Greene
Stengle Hogan and a 3rd tall (JD/HMetc)

As maybe mentioned elsewhere a forward line of the following would magic to watch

Moore Curnow Greene
Stengle Hogan and a 3rd tall (JD/HMetc)

That’s what it should be although Daniher should be a certain selection somewhere. I would be fine him on the bench though as the so called second ruck/fwd.

I had JD as the potential 3rd tall along with Harry McKay

Daniher has been way better and the Lions are top 4, him, Neale and MCCluggage should all be in there somewhere

RE: JHF, he is completely ready to tear the league apart next year. Has that Sam Mitchell-esque poise, and sublime skill with both legs.

For this year though he's not one of the midfield locks, but he'd definitely be in that next group where you could pick any of them and be able to make a case for it. Serong, Brayshaw, Butters, Merret, Libba, Tom Green, LDU etc.
He’s tearing it apart now
Single handedly won us another game on the weekend
Clearly the best mid/ forward in the game

Daniher has been way better and the Lions are top 4, him, Neale and MCCluggage should all be in there somewhere
Lions aren’t top 4 anymore.

I think this just shows that there isn’t much between everyone on the top half of the ladder so actual position shouldn’t be much of a selling point.

He’s tearing it apart now
Single handedly won us another game on the weekend
Clearly the best mid/ forward in the game
JHF is at the point now where he should be in the AA squad and is a possible bench option.

Last two games could change that but he isn't starting in the team over Dylan Moore as a true HFF, and I don't think he would be in over Bont and Heeney yet (the two best goal kicking Mid/Fwds)

Lions aren’t top 4 anymore.

I think this just shows that there isn’t much between everyone on the top half of the ladder so actual position shouldn’t be much of a selling point.

They should finish top 4 and from where they were those 3 are a big reason why.

Xerri another monster game. Surely a lock for the number 1 ruck.

Sheezel another big game too is now a lock for the final 22

Gawn will still get the ruck. If they go a second ruck he might get the bench one, think they pick Daniher though as the so called second ruck. Sheezel gets on the bench well he should

Gawn will still get the ruck. If they go a second ruck he might get the bench one, think they pick Daniher though as the so called second ruck. Sheezel gets on the bench well he should
Gawn hd a pretty good game

And people are forgetting how dominate he was in the first half of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goals and assists round 22:

1. Charlie Curnow 72 (57/15)
2. Jesse Hogan 71 (61/10)
3. Jeremy Cameron 61 (46/15)/Toby Greene (37/24)
5. Joe Daniher 57 (45/12)/Josh Treacy (45/12)
7. Dylan Moore 56 (29/27)
8. Ben King 55 (52/3)/Jake Waterman (49/7)
10. Kyle Langford 53 (39/14)/Darcy Fogarty (39/14)/Tyson Stengle (38/15)/Marcus Bontempelli (30/23)

Gawn hd a pretty good game

And people are forgetting how dominate he was in the first half of the year

Gawn's game was like Bont's yesterday, quieter sure but he was still easily Melbourne's best honestly the amount of marks he was taking in defence put your other defenders to shame (sorry mate but they were diabolical the whole lot of them).

Gawn's game was like Bont's yesterday, quieter sure but he was still easily Melbourne's best honestly the amount of marks he was taking in defence put your other defenders to shame (sorry mate but they were diabolical the whole lot of them).
Dont disagree

Except Kossie has a decent argument for our best

Dont disagree

Except Kossie has a decent argument for our best

Yeah one of the two, though without Gawn I shudder to think how many you blokes let in. Fair point on Kossie though had a great game.

JHF is at the point now where he should be in the AA squad and is a possible bench option.

Last two games could change that but he isn't starting in the team over Dylan Moore as a true HFF, and I don't think he would be in over Bont and Heeney yet (the two best goal kicking Mid/Fwds)
Centre clearances per CBA %
JHF: 16.9
Bont: 12.6
Heeney: 9.8

I know there is a bit that goes into this but we're now sitting second on the ladder and JHF is our clearcut best and most important player. I think Butters having the reputation along with a brilliant year might put him ahead of JHF but there isn't really a more deserving option from Port if we get anyone in.

Centre clearances per CBA %
JHF: 16.9
Bont: 12.6
Heeney: 9.8

Sure, you can pull a single specific stat to attempt to prove a point, but in reality you need to look at overall performance:

Bont has more Centre Clearances per game than JHF, Heeney slightly behind:
Bont: 2.7
Heeney: 2.0
JHF: 2.4

Both Bont and Heeney score more goals per game than JHF:
Bont: 1.4
Heeney: 1.3
JHF: 1.1

Disposals as above:
Bont: 26.1
Heeney: 25.6
JHF: 22.1

Metres Gained as above:
Bont: 443.3
Heeney: 407.1
JHF: 369.9

Disposal efficiency Heeney is on top but JHF still third:
Bont: 67.2%
Heeney: 68.8%
JHF: 65.6%

As per my previous post, I'm not saying JHF isn't worthy. But he isn't quite above Heeney, and Bont is currently the best player in the competition.

Sure, you can pull a single specific stat to attempt to prove a point, but in reality you need to look at overall performance:

Bont has more Centre Clearances per game than JHF, Heeney slightly behind:
Bont: 2.7
Heeney: 2.0
JHF: 2.4

Both Bont and Heeney score more goals per game than JHF:
Bont: 1.4
Heeney: 1.3
JHF: 1.1

Disposals as above:
Bont: 26.1
Heeney: 25.6
JHF: 22.1

Metres Gained as above:
Bont: 443.3
Heeney: 407.1
JHF: 369.9

Disposal efficiency Heeney is on top but JHF still third:
Bont: 67.2%
Heeney: 68.8%
JHF: 65.6%

As per my previous post, I'm not saying JHF isn't worthy. But he isn't quite above Heeney, and Bont is currently the best player in the competition.
It’s actually two specific stats
First he wins more centre clearances per attendance
Second 39% of the time he touches it we score
Best percentage recorded in ten years

Slightly down on goal/ disposal averages over Heeney/ bont but up on impact
For example JHF won us the game on the weekend
Lifted the team to victory on his shoulders
Bont couldn’t

Xerri another monster game. Surely a lock for the number 1 ruck.

Sheezel another big game too is now a lock for the final 22
At least he's finally past Big O in the coaches votes.

Still plenty behind Gawn, who got another 6 on one leg - and Gawn's played 3 less games (actually 2 but subbed off with injury at halftime in a third, so not getting votes).

It’s actually two specific stats
First he wins more centre clearances per attendance
Second 39% of the time he touches it we score
Best percentage recorded in ten years

Slightly down on goal/ disposal averages over Heeney/ bont but up on impact
For example JHF won us the game on the weekend
Lifted the team to victory on his shoulders
Bont couldn’t

To your first point - that clip was from a few weeks ago, and that score involvement-to-disposal ratio has already dropped back down to 34%.
For comparison Dylan Moore is currently sitting at 35% for the same stat.
Bont and Heeney both sitting around 31-32%

Bont might not have dragged the Dogs to victory this weekend, but he has definitely done that many times both this year and in previous years.

To your first point - that clip was from a few weeks ago, and that score involvement-to-disposal ratio has already dropped back down to 34%.
For comparison Dylan Moore is currently sitting at 35% for the same stat.
Bont and Heeney both sitting around 31-32%

Bont might not have dragged the Dogs to victory this weekend, but he has definitely done that many times both this year and in previous years.
That’s cause he dropped back into defence to save the game late & had 10 game saving touches just killing time
Bont & Heeney could never quite hit 39%
And if JHF attended more centre bounces he would easily eclipse the 2 for clearance's
Plus he is a 3rd year player still building his tank whilst the others are in their 10th & 11th seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back