2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think Papley is a bit of a dark horse. A dominant top of the ladder side will get its best players in each part of the field looked at.

Papley's up to 30 goals, 11 goal assists and 119 score involvements so far.

Stengle's at 33 goals, 14 goal assists and 105 score involvements.

Moore's at 27 goals, 18 goal assists and 112 score involvements.

Greene's at 24 goals, 18 goal assists and 101 score involements - and still has to play today.
Even Toby's "bad" seasons are still competitive with the best.

Even Toby's "bad" seasons are still competitive with the best.
I wasn’t trying to suggest he’s been poor. Lots of players every year have fine seasons that don’t get them close to the AA team. It’s something lots of posters miss when they come into this thread and insist that Player X from their team is surely a lock for the AA team because they’ve had a couple of good games in a row. 22 (or do they pick 23 now?) players doesn’t stretch far across 18 teams.

Papley has been a productive and important player for us this year - as per normal. But I hadn’t thought of him in terms of AA contention. If he kicks three or four goals a game for the rest of the year I guess he might force his way in, though I think it matters more whether his contributions stand out as the reason we win games. To me that’s what should set AA players apart far more than merely stats. Stats rarely tell the whole story. In past seasons Greene has been the standout match winner for the Giants. This year he has rarely been that.

Moore is close to lock wether they go mid size Waterman Langford will decide if there is another small as there will definitley be a mid chosen on one flank.

Bailey Dale is clearly on the HBF. Easily the most damaging rebound defender in the comp

Greene? As in Toby? I wouldn't have thought he's anywhere close to the AA team this year. He's had two or three good games but has been well down on his best (or AA) form for the rest of the season.
Still been one of the best smalls this season

Kysiah Pickett is coming strong for the position has close to the best goal average and one thing he is head and shoulders above the others is defensively tackles the others are quite poor compared to him.

Greene? As in Toby? I wouldn't have thought he's anywhere close to the AA team this year. He's had two or three good games but has been well down on his best (or AA) form for the rest of the season.

Agree. I’d at least have Stengle, Moore and Rankine above

My one criticisms on Greene early on was his accuracy, having a look at his stats now 3/4 through the year he hasn't really addressed this issue.

Inaccuracy can also inflate Score Involvements a tad as well, you get one for kicking a behind but that's a clanger. He's going at 39% this year. If he was going at 53% like he did in 2023 he would have kicked 33 goals and be sitting alongside Stengle.

But you always need to keep a close eye on these top end stars because they can turn on.

My one criticisms on Greene early on was his accuracy, having a look at his stats now 3/4 through the year he hasn't really addressed this issue.

Inaccuracy can also inflate Score Involvements a tad as well, you get one for kicking a behind but that's a clanger. He's going at 39% this year. If he was going at 53% like he did in 2023 he would have kicked 33 goals and be sitting alongside Stengle.

But you always need to keep a close eye on these top end stars because they can turn on.
I know it's only against Richmond, but this has still been a competitive game.

Greene with 8 goals/assists and we're not even at 3QT. Take him out and I think Richmond would actually be winning this so far.

When he's on, he's on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry McKay is building a case that is difficult to ignore. 4th in the Coleman while also doing a lot around the ground and chopping out in the ruck.

Last edited:
That's okay
Far too inconsistent for mine. Had a huge last month or so but was pretty ordinary for most of the first half of the season. Cripps, Bont, Merrett been far more consistent performers and better defensively/in the 1 percenters this year which imo is the best show of leadership.
Harry McKay is building a case that is difficult to ignore. 3rd in the Coleman while also doing a lot around the ground and chopping out in the ruck.
Tough with Hogan and Daniher also performing well

Harry McKay is building a case that is difficult to ignore. 3rd in the Coleman while also doing a lot around the ground and chopping out in the ruck.
Jeremy Cameron hasn't had what I'd call a particularly great season, yet still:

-Has more combined goals/assists
-Has an extra score involvement per game
-Averages 3.4 more disposals per game
-Has more total coaches votes
-Has had more games featuring in the coaches votes

Than McKay.

So if McKay is building a case, Cameron still has a stronger one despite being well below his best.

B: Nick Blakey - Harris Andrews - Bailey Dale
HB: Jordan Clark - Jacob Weitering - Lachie Whitfield
C: Errol Gulden - Patrick Cripps - Nick Daicos
HF: Chad Warner - Jesse Hogan - Harry Sheezel
F: Tyson Stengle - Charlie Curnow - Dylan Moore
R: Max Gawn - Marcus Bontempelli - Isaac Heeney
I: Zach Merrett - Zak Butters - Lachie Neale - Max Holmes

B: Nick Blakey - Harris Andrews - Bailey Dale
HB: Jordan Clark - Jacob Weitering - Lachie Whitfield
C: Errol Gulden - Patrick Cripps - Nick Daicos
HF: Chad Warner - Jesse Hogan - Harry Sheezel
F: Tyson Stengle - Charlie Curnow - Dylan Moore
R: Max Gawn - Marcus Bontempelli - Isaac Heeney
I: Zach Merrett - Zak Butters - Lachie Neale - Max Holmes
I like it.

Heeney to the HFF, Daicos starting rover and Sheezel bench, and you can lock it away.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back