2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think your best defender should have to go on the best forward anyway. For example Andrew will almost always go to the tallest forward while the smaller guys take the others. Better matchups for the team is not really a negative
Yep. Weiterings a giant of a man, to think he's going to chase around JUH or Cameron up the field is silly. He goes to the big stay at home forwards where he can wrestle them and kill contests in the most dangerous part of the ground. That's what he's best suited to, not chasing roaming CHFs around the ground.

Then Ugle Hagan was bog - great move.
Your coach has quite literally shifted your best defender, arguably the best defender in the whole competition over the last 4-5 years due to what opposition teams were doing to quell his influence...

homer brain GIF

Merret and Butters yes. Neale no. No other mid can touch him at the moment.

But the team is not based on ‘At the moment’. It is based on the whole year. Hypothetically even if Neale gets 10 coaches votes this week and Cripps and Daicos got none, Neale would still be behind them both. Cripps and Daicos have been better over the whole year.

Your coach has quite literally shifted your best defender, arguably the best defender in the whole competition over the last 4-5 years due to what opposition teams were doing to quell his influence...

homer brain GIF
Has nothing to do with this he was playing on a dangerous forward and dominating he moved off him and lost the game because of this while having no offensive impact from the move.

Blakey - May - Zorko
Whitfield - Andrews - Houston
Gulden - Neale - Merrett
Gawn - Bontempelli -Butters
Heeney - Cameron - Moore
Stengle - Curnow - Hogan
Warner - Daicos - Cripps - Sinclair
Cripps and Daicos are not on the interchange mate. Both top three in Brownlow rankings and top four in coaches awards. They will be picked first

My entry is halfway rolling team, halfway projecting my expected form lines of players to end of season:

FB: Blakey Weitering Zorko

HB: Holmes Andrews Clark

C: N.Daicos Cripps Gulden

HF: Bontempelli Hogan J.Cameron

FF: Stengle Curnow Moore

R: Gawn Neale Heeney

IC: Merrett Serong Warner Greene

Edit: forgot about Warner, he...probably edges out Butters unless they go with 4 mids on the bench. I also don't think Serong is a mega lock with Cripps and now Neale as the midfield bulls ahead of him.

Last edited:
Holmes with another 7 coaches votes from the back flank/wing again this week. He stopped getting them when we temporarily shifted him to midfield as a stop-gap. Normal service has resumed over the past 3 weeks.

That's 11 games where he's collected coaches votes in outside roles so if the team this year actually recognises those players as it did in 2023 (J.Daicos/Gulden/Sinclair/Houston), he will make it.

Neale's in and based on his form probably wins the AFLCA and Brownlow. Somehow still an underrated player.
Not sure about that. Likely gets tagged by Rowbottom or Jordon this weekend and has to get 22 more points than Heeney to overtake him. That's going to be pretty tough over a 6 week stretch, especially against some quality opponents over that period.

Not sure about that. Likely gets tagged by Rowbottom or Jordon this weekend and has to get 22 more points than Heeney to overtake him. That's going to be pretty tough over a 6 week stretch, especially against some quality opponents over that period.
I don't even think Heeney is his main threat. Not in his peak form and his teammates are.

Naicos and Neale will go at it imo. No-one really to steal votes off them.

Bont could but will depend on how much the Dogs win.

I don't even think Heeney is his main threat. Not in his peak form and his teammates are.

Cripps has North, West Coast, Hawthorn, Pies and Saints to come. He's as good a shot as any but don't think he'll catch Heeney when he's every chance to turn it on again in the build up to finals. Been the best player in the comp all year and I expect him to finish strong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its still more than 2 perfect rounds to catch the front runners in the Coaches. Might be too much there but definitely looks like going top 5 in both again

Not sure if the game on the weekend helps or hinders Sicily's case?

He went forward late in the 3rd quarter and essentially won Hawthorn the game, kicking 3 goals in a row to help turn a 16 point deficit into a win - and got coaches votes.

However, being swung forward doesn't necessarily help your chances of being picked as a defender, especially when his averages in all the defensive stats went down.

If he keeps being swung back and forward as needed (and does well), do people think he'll be more or less likely to be selected?

I'd say hinders, if he was close to a lock it probably helps "your having a one off bad day and your still swung fwd to be the match winner, Lock him in".

But in this case he already had 2 Injury effected games and missed 3 because of the shoulder. Now we have another one you can put towards the shoulder, yes still had a massive impact but not as a defender where he is a chance at AA. It's starting to add up, I wouldn't put a line through him yet but he'd need to finish the year with a few more games like the one he played against Richmond.

But AA or not games like that playing through injury and having a massive impact is all grit and heart, its why he is a top end talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back