2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he’ll almost certainly be picked on the wing. He’d definitely be in my team but I would still have him next in line behind the guys I listed

It’s such a subjective exercise, don’t envy the selectors jobs

With 3 round’s to go..I’ll probably cop it big time, but here we go:

FB: Jordan Clark-Jacob Weitering-Dan Houston

HB: Dayne Zorko-Harris Andrews-Lachie Whitfield

C: Errol Gulden-Patrick Cripps (C)-Zach Merrett

HF: Harry Sheezel-Joe Daniher-Isaac Heeney

FF: Dylan Moore-Jesse Hogan-Jake Waterman

R: Tristan Xerri-Marcus Bontempelli (VC)- Caleb Serong

Int: Lachie Neale-Adam Treloar-Zak Butters-Nick Daicos

Your post brought up something I meant to address. That if Port finish in the top 4 surely some of their players will get recognition, but a number have felt more like "squad of 44" rather than best 22. The usual suspects: Butters, Rozee and Houston. Plus JHF.

They had 3 make it last year. I wonder what's going to happen this time. In my own team they'd likely all be on the cusp but still missing out.

Can't really argue with that team. The only one who stood out to me was Butters, but when I tried to think of someone to replace him, I couldn’t. So, I can't argue with it at all. Maybe Warner, hard to ignore all those goals.

As far as Geelong players:

Stengle only kicked 1 goal but had 20 disposals with 14 of them contested, and 9 score involvements. Was very important. He and Moore should both get in but I wouldn't be surprised if Stengle makes way so that there is one less "unlucky" stoppage midfielder.

Holmes isn't knocking the door down quite loudly enough for a youngster so I think he'll miss out. Someone like Dale will take his spot. They'll reward Holmes next season if he has similar output.

Stewart and Cameron likely excluded themselves with their poor runs (Stewart's included a couple of missed games too) in the middle of the year. Cameron at CHF has 21 goals over the past 8 games while going at 14 disposals/game. Stewart has been dominating the coaches votes since his move to midfield over the same period. Both were our best players the first 5 or 6 weeks. But the in between period was poor. Their strong finishes might put them into the squad of 44 at least.

Holmes isn't knocking the door down quite loudly enough for a youngster so I think he'll miss out. Someone like Dale will take his spot. They'll reward Holmes next season if he has similar output.
Think Holmes was a shoe in for half back halfway through but moving to inside mid hurt his chances, still a great season but his time has been too split.

I'd swap either Serrong or Brayshaw for Merrett

Tracey for either Moore / Waterman

I'd also add Papley as the small forward here.

I agree with this but I'd put Stengle in the pocket with Waterman replacing Butters on the bench

Daicos has to start in the 18

Purple7x08_24 don't be afraid to respond little fella. You don't have to hide behind the dislike button. I'll go easy. ;)
A lot of good players up for recognition but think Port deserve more credit.

As long as Butters and Houston come home strong, I'd have them both in.

A lot of good players up for recognition but think Port deserve more credit.

As long as Butters and Houston come home strong, I'd have them both in.
See it's so much better when we chat!

Yeah I wasn't ruling them out. I was more musing on the situation with Port meaning they would all be more likely for inclusion than they would've been a month out. The ladder does always play a role - it's ridiculously bunched up but I'd say whoever ends up 2nd ends up more likely to have players in on line ball decisions than a side in 8th-10th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See it's so much better when we chat!

Yeah I wasn't ruling them out. I was more musing on the situation with Port meaning they would all be more likely for inclusion than they would've been a month out. The ladder does always play a role - it's ridiculously bunched up but I'd say whoever ends up 2nd ends up more likely to have players in on line ball decisions than a side in 8th-10th.
I noticed people have Joe Daniher in the fwd pocket. If you're going to go for the best 3rd man up type it has to be Jezza.

I'm still thinking Heeney could drop out if he keeps playing poorly. That makes room.

I noticed people have Joe Daniher in the fwd pocket. If you're going to go for the best 3rd man up type it has to be Jezza.

I'm still thinking Heeney could drop out if he keeps playing poorly. That makes room.

Your talking about leaving out the bloke coming second in the coaches votes?
Whilst having two team mates in the top ten taking votes of him?
Whilst still sitting on top of the ladder?

I think even with a poor finish Heeney simply has too many coaches votes etc locked in for them to ignore him. A player with 90+ votes has surely never missed out.

Jezza is an enigma. He has frustrated at times this year, particularly by missing about 10-15 sodas for a player of his standard. He had a 5 week horror run. Yet he's still been our second most frequent coaches votes getter (quite rare as a forward) and is 3rd on the combined goals/assists table behind just Hogan and Curnow. Daniher has 7 more score involvements and Brisbane will finish top 2. He has also suffered inaccuracy issues.

Team structure wise Cameron actually does play as a large flanker type rather than a traditional KPF so better fits "general forward" status. But I'm not too sure if the selectors care about that.

There's so many hyped midfielders that I wouldn't be surprised if only two key forwards are chosen. In reality Cameron has probably performed as well as Curnow (when factoring in things like coaches votes), but the player with the most combined goals/assists will make it by default.

Your talking about leaving out the bloke coming second in the coaches votes?
Whilst having two team mates in the top ten taking votes of him?
Whilst still sitting on top of the ladder?
I'm saying I could see justification for it if he finishes poorly. I think in fairness the whole team has dropped off, and Warner looked lost out there on Saturday night.

I'm saying I could see justification for it if he finishes poorly. I think in fairness the whole team has dropped off, and Warner looked lost out there on Saturday night.

The team isn’t picked over the last 6 weeks of the season. The body of work over the whole season is the reason they are still top, despite playing like spuds at the moment.
Chad Warner has kicked more goals than any other mid in the game this year and Heeney is third. But by all means let’s get another accumulator in there.

Who do you guys think is worthy of discussing their place in the AA from each team?
(I'm sure I missed some blatant ones feel free to plead your cases for or against)

Adelaide :
Brisbane : Neale, Zorko, Andrews, Daniher
Carlton : Cripps, Curnow, Weitering, McKay
Collingwood : Naicos
Essendon : Merrett
Fremantle : Serong, Young, Ryan, Clark, Treacy, Pearce
Geelong : Stengle, Cameron, Holmes, Stewart
Gold Coast : Flanders, Collins, Rowell
GWS : Hogan, Whitfield, Buckley, Greene
Hawthorn : Moore
Melbourne : Gawn
North Melbourne : Sheezel, Xerri
Port Adelaide : Butters, Houston
Richmond :
St Kilda : Sinclair, Marshall, Wilkie
Sydney : Heeney, Warner, Gulden, Blakey, Grundy
West Coast : Waterman, McGovern
Western Bulldogs : Trealor, Bontempeli, Dale, Jones (Jamarra if he could convert has impressed me)

Last edited:
Combined goals and assists round 20:

1. Charlie Curnow 71 (56/15)
2. Jesse Hogan 68 (58/68)
3. Toby Greene 60 (36/24)
4. Jeremy Cameron 59 (45/14)
5. Josh Treacy 57 (45/12)
6. Joe Daniher 55 (43/12)
7. Jake Waterman 54 (48/6)/Dylan Moore (29/25)
9. Tyson Stengle 53 (38/15)
10. Kyle Langford 52 (39/13)

Combined goals and assists round 20:

1. Charlie Curnow 71 (56/15)
2. Jesse Hogan 68 (58/68)
3. Toby Greene 60 (36/24)
4. Jeremy Cameron 59 (45/14)
5. Josh Treacy 57 (45/12)
6. Joe Daniher 55 (43/12)
7. Jake Waterman 54 (48/6)/Dylan Moore (29/25)
9. Tyson Stengle 53 (38/15)
10. Kyle Langford 52 (39/13)
Getting hard to ignore. I'd leave a midfielder out and include all of Greene, Stengle and Moore. It won't happen though.

Getting hard to ignore. I'd leave a midfielder out and include all of Greene, Stengle and Moore. It won't happen though.
Greene - Curnow - Moore
Cameron - Hogan - Stengle

It just makes sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back