2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

The team isn’t picked over the last 6 weeks of the season. The body of work over the whole season is the reason they are still top, despite playing like spuds at the moment.
Chad Warner has kicked more goals than any other mid in the game this year and Heeney is third. But by all means let’s get another accumulator in there.
well given how many good players there are, yes it does matter.

Getting hard to ignore. I'd leave a midfielder out and include all of Greene, Stengle and Moore. It won't happen though.

Sheezel would be close to the top of that list on his current form line from a full season.

Look forward to revisiting it next year.

He’s already clocked up 12 goals and 20 GA.

He looms as a future 25+ goal/40+ GA type I think.

He may even be a type to crack the ton at points in his career imo

Clark Andrews Stewart
Zorko Weitering Daicos
Merrett Cripps Gulden
Bont Daniher Curnow
Moore Hogan Stengle

Jackson Serong Heeney

Cameron Sheezel McKay Brayshaw

I can’t find a spot for a port player this is bad considering where they are sitting it just seems butters is the only consistent one but I feel even better players than him have missed out.

Clark Andrews Stewart
Zorko Weitering Daicos
Merrett Cripps Gulden
Bont Daniher Curnow
Moore Hogan Stengle

Jackson Serong Heeney

I can’t find a spot for a port player this is bad considering where they are sitting it just seems butters is the only consistent one but I feel even better players than him have missed out.
Stewart? He was going so bad they had to move him. Whitfield in.

Clark Andrews Stewart
Zorko Weitering Daicos
Merrett Cripps Gulden
Bont Daniher Curnow
Moore Hogan Stengle

Jackson Serong Heeney

I'm sure there is room in your side for 1 Port player on the bench at least for McKay who has been ordinary for the past month

Clark Andrews Stewart
Zorko Weitering Daicos
Merrett Cripps Gulden
Bont Daniher Curnow
Moore Hogan Stengle

Jackson Serong Heeney

Simple - Houston in, Stewart out

Houston is in. He is easily the best half back in the league and backing up last year with another elite season.

They said during the broadcast the other day he is the best kick in the AFL, he’s a great intercept/contested mark for his size and he has been ultra consistent again.

Clark Andrews Stewart
Zorko Weitering Daicos
Merrett Cripps Gulden
Bont Daniher Curnow
Moore Hogan Stengle

Jackson Serong Heeney

Port have no locks for sure. But Houston has definitely had a better year than Stewart

Greene - Curnow - Moore
Cameron - Hogan - Stengle

It just makes sense.
I'm still not sold on Greene,

Name - Moore - Greene - Stengle

Player Rankings - 12.6, 11.6, 12.5
Goals - 29, 36, 38
Accuracy - 55%, 44%, 58%
Score Involvment - 6.9, 7.1, 6.1
Pressure Acts - 16.7, 15.2, 13.9
Disposals - 19.7, 16.5, 14
Contested Possessions - 7.8, 6.7, 6.8
Disposal Efficiency - 70%, 61%, 59%
Tackles - 3.7, 2.2, 2.4
Inside 50s - 4.3, 4.6, 3
1 on 1 Win % - 38%, 9%, 35%

My main concern all year has been his accuracy and efficiency with how much footy gets directed his way. He has improved massively throughout the year in that area but still can't help but think kicking behinds have contributed to his SI being a touch higher than they should be. His best is as good as it gets so you can never completely put a line through him.

Stewart-Andrews-Blakey
Zorko-McGov-Whitfield
Errol-Bont-Merrett
Treacy-Curnow-Heeney
Greene - Hogan - waterman

Followers: Gawn, Cripps, Daicos
Int: Treloar, Neale, Sheezel, Serong

Defenders: Can toss a coin between Whitfield, Clark, Dale, Stewart and Houston and Blakey could miss depending on the final 3 rounds. Could have moved Sheezel or Daicos back but Sheezel is on the bench anyway and Daicos really isn't playing that type of role this year. Pearce was fantastic but has missed too many games.

Mids: Could put Bont on the CHF line but he deserves to be starting mid. Heeney has dropped off lately so he can go there. Anderson, Rowell, LDU, Butters and Young unlucky. Many who had fantastic years will miss out and the interchange is already "all mids". Feel is one had to miss it'd be Serong as the others are all strong around the contest but also more damaging. Sheezel (back/fwd), Daicos(back), Heeney (fwd) and Bont (fwd) can play multiple positions, as can Stewart (mid) and Whitfield (wing).

Forwards: tempting to throw Warner a spot in the forward line (29g) but misses unless he can recapture his mid season form. Rankine would be in if he played more games. Cameron, Stringer and JUH coming home strong. Flip a coin for Stengle, Moore and Greene. If forward line is too tall, take our Treacy for Moore or Stengle.

Ruck: Gawn is the best but has missed a few. I have Xerri at 2 and Marshall has had a fantastic season. Grundy has dropped off lately. No second ruck as all play best as solo ruck.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In no world has Jackson been even remotely close to as good as Xerri! Who’s saying otherwise? Fight them!

Xerri has been phenomenal. Jackson wouldn’t even be in my top 3 this season.

Edit - Lingface!
Yeah my side is bad, didn’t even include Neale as well, just think Jackson has had a very good year but hard to find where to put him.

I am having another go on the AFL app now they have one to build an all Australian side out now.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the AA selectors manage to fit in all of the Sydney Swans “locks” after their ordinary form over the second half of the season.

People always talk about “recency bias” when it comes to All Australian selection. But I reckon it’s the exact opposite. Deserving players who come on strong over the second half of the season often get left out due early season “lock em in” bias.

Toby Greene aint making the All Australian team. Lets be real.

My main concern all year with Toby Greene has been his accuracy and efficiency with how much footy gets directed his way. He has improved massively throughout the year in that area but still can't help but think kicking behinds have contributed to his SI being a touch higher than they should be. His best is as good as it gets so you can never completely put a line through him.
The score involvements stat would be a more meaningful way of ranking players if we were to remove their ‘behinds’ tally from their total SI’s

Kicking a behind (missing the goal) is a bad play. It’s a downer for the team.

They’re handing the ball back to the opposition. It’s basically a turnover. Nobody really cares about adding 1 point to the team’s total score (which is why defenders are to happy to concede a rushed behind).

The only exception to this is when scores are level late in the game when any score will do because it gives your team the lead.

Here’s the adjusted score involvements for small/med forwards…
(goals + score involvements for teammates)

6.3 Dylan Moore
6.1 Gryan Miers
5.8 Toby Greene
5.5 Elijah Hollands
5.4 Tyson Stengle
5.3 Brent Daniels
5.3 Connor Macdonald
5.2 Tom Papley
5.2 Ben Keats
5.2 Izak Rankine
5.1 Lachie Fogarty
4.9 Jamie Elliott
4.9 Rhylee West
4.8 Josh Rachele
4.8 Dustin Martin
4.7 Matt Guelfi
4.7 Brad Close
4.6 Jade Gresham
4.5 Jack Ginnivan
4.5 Cam Rayner
4.5 Liam Henry
4.5 Sam Switkowski
4.4 Darcy Byrne-Jones
4.4 Will Hoskin-Elliott
4.3 Mitch Owens
4.2 Jack Higgins
4.2 Ben Long
4.2 Kysaiah Pickett
4.1 Cody Weightman
4.1 Paul Curtis
4.1 Jamie Cripps
4.1 Bobby Hill
3.9 Charlie Cameron

The score involvements stat would be a more meaningful way of ranking players if we were to remove their ‘behinds’ tally from their total SI’s

Kicking a behind (missing the goal) is a bad play. It’s a downer for the team.

They’re handing the ball back to the opposition. It’s basically a turnover. Nobody really cares about adding 1 point to the team’s total score (which is why defenders are to happy to concede a rushed behind).

The only exception to this is when scores are level late in the game when any score will do because it gives your team the lead.

Adjusted score involvements…
(Small/Med forwards)

6.3 Dylan Moore
6.1 Gryan Miers
5.8 Toby Greene
5.5 Elijah Hollands
5.4 Tyson Stengle
5.3 Brent Daniels
5.3 Connor Macdonald
5.2 Tom Papley
5.2 Ben Keats
5.2 Izak Rankine
5.1 Lachie Fogarty
4.9 Jamie Elliott
4.9 Rhylee West
4.8 Josh Rachele
4.8 Dustin Martin
4.7 Matt Guelfi
4.7 Brad Close
4.6 Jade Gresham
4.5 Jack Ginnivan
4.5 Cam Rayner
4.5 Liam Henry
4.5 Sam Switkowski
4.4 Darcy Byrne-Jones
4.4 Will Hoskin-Elliott
4.3 Mitch Owens
4.2 Jack Higgins
4.2 Ben Long
4.2 Kysaiah Pickett
4.1 Cody Weightman
4.1 Paul Curtis
4.1 Jamie Cripps
4.1 Bobby Hill
3.9 Charlie Cameron
Surely direct GAs are a better metric? Toby is deserving as it stands but a big last 3 games could get him over the line

Surely direct GAs are a better metric? Toby is deserving as it stands but a big last 3 games could get him over the line
Not really

Quite often, the player credited with the goal assist was just a link in the scoring chain and the really good work was done by the guy who got the ball over to the “goal assister”

The point of my post above is not to definitively rank the small forwards by score involvements as though it’s the only stat which matters

It’s simply an acknowledgment that the total score involvements is a mixed bag of good & bad play

Good - kicking a goal
Bad - missing your shot for goal
Good - helping your teammates score a goal or a behind. (It’s not their fault if their teammate was inaccurate)

It’s just a simple way of adding an extra layer to the “score involvements” stat to make it a bit more meaningful from a ranking perspective

Has he had a better season than Jason Horne-Francis? Has he been better than Will Day?

I’m talking about impact and influence on games (as opposed to stats and Hoynie’s magical ratings points)
Will day is like a drop down from JHF, not as many disposals but when he gets them he absolutely rips teams apart. What he did to Adelaide the other week was elite.

JHF only had 25 something disposals on Saturday but I gave him BOG because every time he got the ball, he did something that made a big play for Port either moving forward or entry inside 50 for a goal. There were times where he evaded 3 Swans in plays, very skilled at ground. He's still maturing and learning to deal with niggling players but I think Port have handled this pressure quite well by bringing in Wines into the midfield. If he can build consistency for next season he's a strong chance to be the best player in the competition. Not for pure disposals, but for what he can do with them.

Said this time and time again. Nic Martin who has 40 disposals on the half back, or finding a player uncontested is worth **** all. The same goes for Sheezel. 35 disposals to uncontested players is contributing to the team moving forward but it's not as impactful as what Day and JHF do. I know that will be controversial but people romanticize over stats way too much.

A hard ball get around a pack of players, or a contested mark and a forward entry inside 50 which leads to a goal is worth more than 5 cheap disposals. I hope the AA selectors consider this.

Not really

Quite often, the player credited with the goal assist was just a link in the scoring chain and the really good work was done by the guy who got the ball over to the “goal assister”

The point of my post above is not to definitively rank the small forwards by score involvements as though it’s the only stat which matters

It’s simply an acknowledgment that the total score involvements is a mixed bag of good & bad play

Good - kicking a goal
Bad - missing your shot for goal
Good - helping your teammates score a goal or a behind. (It’s not their fault if their teammate was inaccurate)

It’s just a simple way of adding an extra layer to the “score involvements” stat to make it a bit more meaningful from a ranking perspective
I get your point and generally agree … but score involvement seems even less meaningful than GAs despite GAs being a bit weak as a stat

It is. There's a reason every commentator says that the last kick is the most important in the chain and why teams like certain players ball in hand for it (Greene, Miers, Moore etc).

Score involvements and score launches are much more relevant for half backs

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back