2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Toby is equal to or better than Tyson on almost all stats now.... making a great late run

Heeney is definitely a lock. Would require him to stink it up in all three remaining games to even remotely be not considered.

Toby is Marginally in front of Stengle.
1723001035980.png

These stats seem a little different from the usual 1on1 stats posted here but Andrews would have to be close to locked into one of the key defensive posts

You really are a Richmond nuffie that just happens to support the Blues. You'd fit in with their lot seamlessly.

The actual break down of Stewart's year:

-First 5 weeks as a defender were outstanding, he was our MVP by far. As good as his 2023 form, or a little better.
-His 6th game he was concussed midway through it.
-Missed one week.
-Round 9-16: a lean patch by his lofty standards. Still found plenty of the ball but wasn't the effective rebounding/intercepting machine that he was the previous x amount of years. It's still been overstated how bad he was though. He just wasn't in AA form.
-Last 6 weeks: one of the best players in the comp with the new midfield/sweeping defender hybrid role. Easily our MVP again.
-Next 3 weeks? If he matched the last 6, that would make 14 games of the season in career best form (or at least matching it) and 7 games where he wasn't AA level.

I suspect people already ruled him out due to being below his standards when Geelong were out of sorts. But overall he's still had a stellar season, so long as he finishes strong.

You really are a Richmond nuffie that just happens to support the Blues. You'd fit in with their lot seamlessly.

The actual break down of Stewart's year:

-First 5 weeks as a defender were outstanding, he was our MVP by far. As good as his 2023 form, or a little better.
-His 6th game he was concussed midway through it.
-Missed one week.
-Round 9-16: a lean patch by his lofty standards. Still found plenty of the ball but wasn't the effective rebounding/intercepting machine that he was the previous x amount of years. It's still been overstated how bad he was though. He just wasn't in AA form.
-Last 6 weeks: one of the best players in the comp with the new midfield/sweeping defender hybrid role. Easily our MVP again.
-Next 3 weeks? If he matched the last 6, that would make 14 games of the season in career best form (or at least matching it) and 7 games where he wasn't AA level.

I suspect people already ruled him out due to being below his standards when Geelong were out of sorts. But overall he's still had a stellar season, so long as he finishes strong.
He was a liability for a third of the season. Couldn't find the ball, goals kicked on him weekly, giving away dumb free kicks from frustration... He was in career worst form.

More to the point where would he be in the team? Half back? He was so hopeless down there this season that his coach had to move him. Midfield? Probably 40 mids ahead of him this year.

Not even close to an AA season. Would be a bigger disgrace than when he got in over Sicily a few years back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a liability for a third of the season. Couldn't find the ball, goals kicked on him weekly, giving away dumb free kicks from frustration... He was in career worst form.

More to the point where would he be in the team? Half back? He was so hopeless down there this season that his coach had to move him. Midfield? Probably 40 mids ahead of him this year.

Not even close to an AA season. Would be a bigger disgrace than when he got in over Sicily a few years back.
Couldn't find the ball is a stretch. He averaged 19 disposals over that down period. Every single Geelong player struggled to some degree through that period. Our midfield was getting destroyed and so the defence was dealing with an onslaught...until Stewart was moved to help the midfield. It's back to being more manageable for the most part.

Utilities aren't as popular for AA spots as inside mids but they do get in and are strong candidates for the bench. He really isn't that different to Sinclair last year as a defender/midfielder hybrid who sweeps the back of stoppages then pushes back to cover opposition attacks.

Like I said he's had 11 games in career best form and a leaner patch by his standards in the middle. 3 more games strong games and he's surely in the squad of 44, which means he's in the conversation. If he falls off again he'd have a line through him. Personally I don't think there's been much between Holmes and Stewart overall, they've just peaked at different times.

Bailey Dale surely a lock.

Couldn't find the ball is a stretch. He averaged 19 disposals over that down period. Every single Geelong player struggled to some degree through that period. Our midfield was getting destroyed and so the defence was dealing with an onslaught...until Stewart was moved to help the midfield. It's back to being more manageable for the most part.

Utilities aren't as popular for AA spots as inside mids but they do get in and are strong candidates for the bench. He really isn't that different to Sinclair last year as a defender/midfielder hybrid who sweeps the back of stoppages then pushes back to cover opposition attacks.

Like I said he's had 11 games in career best form and a leaner patch by his standards in the middle. 3 more games strong games and he's surely in the squad of 44, which means he's in the conversation. If he falls off again he'd have a line through him. Personally I don't think there's been much between Holmes and Stewart overall, they've just peaked at different times.
You can try to rewrite history as much as you want but everyone who watched Geelong games this season saw Stewart terrible run.

He's not a "utility" either... He got put into the midfield so your coach could hide him from having a genuine opponent down back because for about 8 weeks straight every time he had a direct opponent he played terribly and was having mid game meltdowns on a seemingly fortnightly basis.

As I said, would be a worse selection than when he got in over Sicily

Dylan Moore a chance surely.

Thats certainly an interesting way to bend statistics.

That one “crap” clearance is a center clearance. As Xerri averages almost a full one more per game.

And they average vertically the same contested possessions, so you could argue that Gawn averages 1 crap possession more per game.

There’s barely anything between most of their stats. Including their hit out stats.

The big difference is marks/contested marks for Gawn and Tackles/Pressure acts for Xerri.

Xerri puts on twice the amount of pressure around the ball and is the second best tackler in the AFL this season.

I tend to think the selection panel will reward Xerri rather than just a 7th AA jacket for Gawn, given it’s very much a line ball decision.
It's fair to say I've never judged ruckmen on their bumbling clearances.

I'll have to let Dean Cox know that he wasn't much good because he only averaged 2.8 clearances and 1.48 tackles throughout his career.

Or maybe I'll continue to judge rucks on things like disposals, hitouts/hitouts to advantage, marks, contested marks and goals.

Not to mention using my eyes.

You can try to rewrite history as much as you want but everyone who watched Geelong games this season saw Stewart terrible run.

He's not a "utility" either... He got put into the midfield so your coach could hide him from having a genuine opponent down back because for about 8 weeks straight every time he had a direct opponent he played terribly and was having mid game meltdowns on a seemingly fortnightly basis.

As I said, would be a worse selection than when he got in over Sicily
It's really pointless to start exchanges like this. Simply state your case. I shouldn't have to hold your hand in showing you how to discuss a difference of opinion.

Nothing I stated was untrue. This season has seen the best of Stewart for 11 games and the worst since he was in his debut season for a 7 week period in the middle. A strong 3 games to end the year and he'll be in the squad of 44, so is therefore not a silly player to discuss.

He is a utility. His time has been split equally between midfield and defence, with the former a hybrid midfielder/sweeping defender role anyway. The move to midfield has saved our season, while being easily our best player over the first 6 weeks got us off to a cracking start. If he'd not had those 11 AA level weeks Geelong would be in the bottom 6 right now.

All the hyperbole and dramatic language in the world you throw in doesn't change any of these basic facts.

The Lions locks are Harris Andrews and Lachie Neale IMO.

A possibility are Dayne Zorko and Joe Daniher.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back