2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Massimo: welcome to the life of Isaac Smith, Mitch Duncan, Hugh McLuggage et al. All of whom have had better seasons and not been selected. Hugh did play inside mid a bit more so was probably edging closer to selection.

'Better seasons'.

Except he's a more complete player than any of those guys. If you take the best of what all three has to offer, he's close to that package in 2024.

Wins more contested ball than Smith did. Is more highly skilled than Duncan and McLuggage, and covers the ground better than both.

Is a better kick under pressure than all three, especially Smith.

Massimo is also not getting tried in our midfield any times soon because a) he's elite in his position and we'd lose more than we'd gain even if he out performed the guys in there. And b ) with Newcombe, Day, Nash and Worpel, and a supporting cast smashing through opposition our midfield doesn't need him any way.

Plus, why the FU%$ would you take a Ferrari and see if it could go mudding?

Last edited:
he has had 6 games below 16 disposals.

23 divided by 6 is how much of a season?

But sure, let's quote stats and not measure impact.

Massimo helps start attacking chains that generate scores, or links up in those chains and moves the bal down the field.

He was literally a shining light in our crap first 5 weeks, for example.

'Better seasons'.

Except he's a more complete player than any of those guys. If you take the best of what all three has to offer, he's close to that package.

Wins more contested ball than Smith did. Is more highly skilled than Duncan and McLuggage, and covers the ground better than both.

Massimo is also not getting tried in our midfield any times soon because a) he's elite in his position and we'd lose more than we'd gain even if he out performed the guys in there. And b ) with Newcombe, Day, Nash and Worpel, along and a supporting cast smashing through opposition our midfield doesn't need him any way.

Plus, why the FU%$ would you take a Ferrari and see if it could go mudding?
Now you're being silly. '

Smith 2014-2015 was a 23 disposal, 1 goal, half a goal assist per game wingman who broke lines and express launched it to their dynamic forward line. Hugely underrated influence for that side.

Duncan 2019-2020(fuil minute extrapolation) was a 25 disposal, 0.8 goal, 0.7 goal assist per game wingman whose ball use was up there with the best in the league.

McLuggage 2021-2022 was a 25 disposal, 0.7 goal, 1.0 goal assist per game wingman who had a mix of damaging attributes.

Massimo is a 20 disposal, 0.2 goal, 0.2 goal assist per game wingman who is playing very well but is not as influential as the above players during those seasons.

Sorry but this is just fantasy land stuff.

I don't even have any particular issue with Massimo and I certainly don't have any added love for the 3 mentioned, it's just a hilariously bad take.

All 3 are far better players.

neutral fans seriously underrate wilkie, does not get beaten, never makes a bad mistake, intercepts, kills any dangerous ground ball by taking possession at the perfect time right before getting tackled, absolutely mauls opponents with death by a thousand cuts style that doesn't give away a free - ever... best KPD the saints have had in 30 years easily

Now you're being silly. '

Smith 2014-2015 was a 23 disposal, 1 goal, half a goal assist per game wingman who broke lines and express launched it to their dynamic forward line. Better seasons.

Duncan 2019-2020(fuil minute extrapolation) was a 25 disposal, 0.8 goal, 0.7 goal assist per game wingman whose ball use was up there with the best in the league.

McLuggage 2021-2022 was a 25 disposal, 0.7 goal, 1.0 goal assist per game wingman who had a mix of damaging attributes.

Massimo is a 20 disposal, 0.2 goal, 0.2 goal assist per game wingman who is playing very well but is not as influential as the above players during those seasons.

Riiiiiight. I'm being silly.

I'll go after your first comparison because it's the dumbest.

Are you really telling me about Isaac Smith's 2014-15 seasons?

I was there, watching. You were flogging off to the AA team sheet every time some of your bog average players snuck in somehow. There's a few of them too.

Isaac was almost exclusively an outside player. He was the best runner in the comp along with Hill. He was a beautiful kick of the ball, and could break lines and games open.

He kicked goals from the wing. That's a petty rare bird in any side.

This year Massimo is a contest ball winning, highly skilled winger with pace to burn, probably not far off or equal to peak Smith. He is also a beautiful kick of the football, and can do it with guys in his face or hanging off of him.

He kicks goals too.

But he's got more of a defensive side than Isaac ever did.

He also was arguably playing some of his best footy when our team was playing some of its worst early in the year.

Could Isaac do that at Hawthorn, and impose himself physically in contests when things weren't going our way?

No, that wasn't his game. Smith is the better endurance runner, and obviously performed close to his maximum for pretty much his entire career.

But he could not do what Massimo does. Smith is the outside cream in a good side. He did play two monster Grand Finals too, which is not to be taken lightly. But we're talking home and away here.

Last edited:
Sorry but this is just fantasy land stuff.

I don't even have any particular issue with Massimo and I certainly don't have any added love for the 3 mentioned, it's just a hilariously bad take.

All 3 are far better players.

Your user name is WalshistheGOAT.

I don't have time to correct everyone with a dump opinion on a player you know jack about.

But I will point out that your username is a decent measuring stick here.

Riiiiiight. I'm being silly.

I'll go after your first comparison because it's the dumbest.

Are you really telling me about Isaac Smith's 2014-15 seasons?

I was there, watching. You were flogging off to the AA team sheet every time some of your bog average players snuck in somehow. There's a few of them too.

Isaac was almost exclusively an outside player. He was the best runner in the comp along with Hill. He was a beautiful kick of the ball, and could break lines and games open.

He kicked goals from the wing. That's a petty rare bird in any side.

This year Massimo is a contest ball winning, highly skilled winger with pace to burn, probably not far off or equal to peak Smith. He is also a beautiful kick of the football, and can do it with guys in his face or hanging off of him.

He kicks goals too.

But he's got more of a defensive side than Isaac ever did.

He also was arguably playing some of his best footy when our team was playing some of its worst early in the year.

Could Isaac do that at Hawthorn, and impose himself physically in contests when things weren't going our way?

No, that wasn't his game. Smith is the better endurance runner, and obviously performed close to his maximum for pretty much his entire career.

But he could not do what Massimo does. Smith is the outside cream in a good side, though he did play two monster Grand Finals.
I watched too and it's fine if you disagree. But you're adding some seriously pathetic gutter trash like I've bolded so I'm not reading the rest and you are free to talk to yourself about this topic.

I watched too and it's fine if you disagree. But you're adding some seriously pathetic gutter trash like I've bolded so I'm not reading the rest and you are free to talk to yourself about this topic.

Mr. Meow, the 'gutter trash' is a lot less offensive than the notion you might have watched Isaac's Smith career as closely as I did.

Mr. Meow, the 'gutter trash' is a lot less offensive than the notion you might have watched Isaac's Smith career as closely as I did.
You can put me under investigation if you like but I watched a hell of a lot of that Hawthorn side just as I've watched a hell of a lot of them this year. Such is the life of a footy tragic and I'm more than willing to be called a saddo for it. But let's not pretend every time someone disagrees with each other that one person simply hasn't informed themselves of the topic at hand. That's lazy. I merely mentioned the stats because I can't implant my recollections of each player into your brain.

Most would agree that those players had better seasons than Massimo's current one. Embley had better seasons too. He's just had a very good year but you're acting like he's having the greatest season of a wingman since Peter Matera's peak.

Except he's a more complete player than any of those guys.
Are you farking for real. I've read some weird shit on this site over 12 years but D'Ambrosio a more complete player than Smith, McCluggage and Duncan.... That takes the cake that one.

You can put me under investigation if you like but I watched a hell of a lot of that Hawthorn side just as I've watched a hell of a lot of them this year. Such is the life of a footy tragic and I'm more than willing to be called a saddo for it. But let's not pretend every time someone disagrees with each other that one person simply hasn't informed themselves of the topic at hand. That's lazy. I merely mentioned the stats because I can't implant my recollections of each player into your brain.

Most would agree that those players had better seasons than Massimo's current one. Embley had better seasons too. He's just had a very good year but you're acting like he's having the greatest season of a wingman since Peter Matera's peak.

Peter's Mater's peak was transcendent, and twice as good as any season from a wingman that I've seen.

But it's nonsense to suggest that Massimo's season doesn't point to him being a more complete than any of the players we're talking about.

Again, Isaac wasn't a great defensive player past pushing back hard to get numbers back and help out.

He wasn't a great one on one defender, and his disposal could be iffy in contested situations. That's half the game right there.

He was an offensive weapon no doubt, and the best outside runner and long kicking wingman you've had at Geelong in my lifetime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Dale surely in the team

Are you farking for real. I've read some weird shit on this site over 12 years but D'Ambrosio a more complete player than Smith, McCluggage and Duncan.... That takes the cake that one.

'It takes the cake'.

I don't have time to address every random maroon who's been kicked in the head by a horse, but again, let me guess: all three are better players because they've won AAs?

Kind of ironic that a group of Geelong supporters would put time trying to tell a Hawthorn supporter how good Isaac Smith is, in a conversation about AA selection...

I mean you just could not make this shit up.

Peter's Mater's peak was transcendent, and twice as good as any season from a wingman that I've seen.

But it's nonsense to suggest that Massimo's season doesn't point to him being a more complete than any of the players we're talking about.

Again, Isaac wasn't a great defensive player past pushing back hard to get numbers back and help out.

He wasn't a great one on one defender, and his disposal could be iffy in contested situations. That's half the game right there.

He was an offensive weapon no doubt, and the best outside runner and long kicking wingman you've had at Geelong in my lifetime.
So to be clear, which wingmen's seasons - if any - have bettered Massimo's 2024? From say the past 25 years.

Goddard, Montagna, Sidebottom, Embley, Lappin, J.Kelly, Gaff, Hill, Wells, Thomas, Edwards, J.Daicos and Gulden are a few others to play primarily wing some seasons while performing to an excellent standard.

Last edited:
Mass better skilled than Duncan. My lord that's a doozy.
Where's Damon_3388 at these days when you need him.

You Cats fans are like Russian State TV.

Go and look at D'Ambrosio kicking a footy, then compare Duncan.

One is incredibly accurate but comparably vanilla, and less damaging.

You'll work out who is who pretty easily.

I can see you're all confused by the idea, but we're not judging whole careers here. After all, one guy hasn't played his yet...

I can see you're all confused by the idea, but we're not judging whole careers here. After all, one guy hasn't played his yet...
Which explains why Duncan's best seasons have seen more disposals, score involvements, goals and goal assists by a significant margin.

He's had 5 seasons where he had 15+ goal assists and 4 seasons where he's kicked 20+ goals.

Massimo has had 7 goals and 5 goal assists this season.

'It takes the cake'.

I don't have time to address every random maroon who's been kicked in the head by a horse, but again, let me guess: all three are better players because they've won AAs?

Kind of ironic that a group of Geelong supporters would put time trying to tell a Hawthorn supporter how good Isaac Smith is, in a conversation about AA selection...

I mean you just could not make this shit up.
Frankly, and with as much disrespect intended as is possible, you are making an utterly moronic and incorrect assertion.
Toomanyheadknocks should be your username. Clearly posting concussed.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 144922.png Screenshot 2024-08-25 145007.png Screenshot 2024-08-25 145038.png

That is Massimo in his best year to date (2024) up against Duncan's worst year (and it's neck and neck), Smith's last year (is beaten) and McCluggage this year (gets smoked).

More complete. FFS.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 145417.png

Stacked up against Duncan's most productive season and it is not pretty at all.

You're too stupid to read anymore. Ignored.

So to be clear, which wingmen's seasons - if any - have bettered Massimo's 2024? From say the past 25 years.

Goddard, Montagna, Sidebottom, Embley, Lappin, J.Kelly, Gaff, Hill, Wells, Thomas, Edwards, J.Daicos and Gulden are a few others to play primarily wing some seasons while performing to an excellent standard.

Adding names to your list is not going to strengthen your argument against the best wingman from 2024.

How about you name a better wingman from this year?

Adding names to your list is not going to strengthen your argument against the best wingman from 2024.

How about you name a better wingman from this year?
Which of those players best seasons has Massimo surpassed in 2024? Simple exercise. You can just say all of them, for any of their seasons playing primarily on the wing. That's probably easiest and will also tell us a lot about your analytical skills.

That is Massimo in his best year to date (2024) up against Duncan's worst year (and it's neck and neck), Smith's last year (is beaten) and McCluggage this year (gets smoked).

You really were kicked in the head by a horse.

1. Yes, we're talking about his 2024. Dear Lord. It's the friggin AA team discussion for 2024....Literally the thread title.

2. You still can't grasp the concept that we're not judging entire careers here, we're discussing the 2024 AA team.

3. There are crater sized holes in the argument that you can judge a player's impact based on statistics. The entire all Australia team would be made up mids and half backs if that was true.

Plus, you kind of omit that Duncan played a lot of midfield over his career... I mean, at least try here.

Carter. Sized. Holes.

Let me guess, you also didn't like Cyril's 2008 grand final because he didn't get enough of the ball?

But also:

4. Where are the people kicing the door down to get Hugh into the AA team as a winger this year? I must have missed that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back