2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks fans have officially gone off the edge of sanity.

Massimo over peak Isaac Smith and Mitch Duncan

Scrimshaw over Weitering

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Dont get me wrong, Massimo is an absolute jet but suggesting he is better than Merrett?

lol

just lunacy.

Scrimshaw over Weitering

They're having a fantastic run, with almost the whole squad playing 7/10 or 8/10 right now (most teams will carry a bunch of 4 and 5/10's). But that doesn't mean they have half a dozen walk up AA selections, where you need to be closer to 9/10 and for a whole season.

Moore absolutely. Sicily a smokey. Then a few are in contention for the squad of 44. Some if they keep their form of the past 2 months would be in the conversation in 2025.

Scrimshaw over Weitering

I never said that Massimo was better than peak Izzy or Duncan. He is tracking extremely well at his age though.

I'm choosing J.McGovern and Andrews as the main key tall defenders. If you are going to have a third tall defender, there needs to be a point of difference - Weitering is just more of the same (and worse in 2024 than those two). As such I think Sicily and Scrimshaw would be much better as a 3rd tall option from a team balance perspective.

If I was choosing another lockdown tall defender then I'm taking Collins over Weitering.

Scrimshaw over Weitering

Statistically, Scrimshaw and Weitering are basically the same in 2024.
There is honestly only one stat between them that is significantly different.

You tell me which one is which:

1724630452134.png

Statistically, Scrimshaw and Weitering are basically the same in 2024.
There is honestly only one stat between them that is significantly different.

You tell me which one is which:

View attachment 2092061
Sorry but this is so dumb I'm not even sure I want to indulge. Weitering is a KPD. Scrimshaw is a tall half back flanker. You'd be better off comparing Scrimshaw to Newman or Mcgovern

More Hawks fans claiming others don't watch their games...
If you watched enough, you'd know that Scrimshaw often lines up on the 2nd tallest forward (Frost will take the number one).

We have a competent, well-structured and highly skilled zone defense. 5 of our 6 defenders can rebound very well, that doesn't mean they should all be considered 'flankers'.

Do you consider Sicily a 'tall half-back flanker' as well?

Yeah, I'd be happy to swap N.Daicos on to the field for D'Ambrosio.

I honestly don't think Weitering has had that great of a year. Certainly the 2nd half of his season has been very average.
If I was going to bring in another tall defender I'd choose Sicily, Scrimshaw (seriously, not biased here) or even Sam Collins before Weitering.
The back end of the year might really hurt Weitering's chances. That's not totally on him especially once the whole forward line fell apart. But reality is that does seem to matter in selectors minds. I reckon that decision on the second/third defenders will go pretty close

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm assuming those are career stats. Scrimshaw this year generally plays on the 2nd tall. Frost plays on the the no 1 and a mix of Scrimshaw, Weddle and Sicily in that order play on the number 2 tall
I posted the wrong image, updated with this season. Weitering is an absolute wall and a far far far better defender than Scrimshaw. No slight on Scrimshaw who is having a great season.

Let me clarify:

If I'm picking my 1st key defender for a team (with no other players selected yet) and can choose between only Weitering or Scrimshaw - I'm picking Weitering.

If I'm picking my 3rd tall defender for a team that already has J.McGovern and Andrews on the field (who I would 100% pick before Weitering this year) then I'm going to pick both Sicily and Scrimshaw over Weitering.

The back end of the year might really hurt Weitering's chances. That's not totally on him especially once the whole forward line fell apart. But reality is that does seem to matter in selectors minds. I reckon that decision on the second/third defenders will go pretty close
The only rebuttal I'd have to that is that if that did come into play, WCE and GCS also had terrible ends to the season. Pearce, Taylor etc missed too many games so realistically his competition is Collins and McGov whose teams were even worse

The only rebuttal I'd have to that is that if that did come into play, WCE and GCS also had terrible ends to the season. Pearce, Taylor etc missed too many games so realistically his competition is Collins and McGov whose teams were even worse
Yeah thats a good point. Personally I think Weitering will make it. But I can see it being a tough convo as not many finished the year really strong IMO

No love for JackBuckley …. He goes under the radar

Let me clarify:

If I'm picking my 1st key defender for a team (with no other players selected yet) and can choose between only Weitering or Scrimshaw - I'm picking Weitering.

If I'm picking my 3rd tall defender for a team that already has J.McGovern and Andrews on the field (who I would 100% pick before Weitering this year) then I'm going to pick both Sicily and Scrimshaw over Weitering.
And that's a perfectly fine opinion to have. But then he's in the mix with Lever, Blakey, Ryan, Idun etc.

The two don't play the same role in a team

No they're from this year. Ur 2nd KPD who averages 2 spoils a game and 1.2 contested one on ones is on the right
It has been updated to this year since I quoted it. That probably says more about the difference between the Carlton and Hawthorn defensive systems

I have no problem if Weitering is named AA, had a great year in a team that throws their backline under the bus so often.
Only black mark is losing a defensive one on one to a Watson contested mark. Should probably exclude him on that alone

has got him in disposal efficiency but loses nearly every other stat significantly. I mean Merrett Avgs 1/4 of Massimos disposals as tackles lol.

Now could Ambrosio be a better player in the future? Entirely possible.

But right now, it's not close. So your statement that Dambrosio "would torch Merrett" is ****ing laughable.

How do they look at the same stage of their careers?

And if you think Massimo would not torch Merrett for pace, you're absolutely out of your mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back