2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how you conflated these two when Andrews averages more marks as well as intercept marks. I think McGovern was statistically better at ground level, whereas Andrews nearly doubled the amount of spoils while losing defensive contests at half the rate McGovern was.
When the ball is coming in freely under no pressure its gonna be more than a bit harder to defend to be fair.

Statistically Curnow and Waterman are identical, why the outrage?
I'm not one thats upset about the Snakes selection, but statistically Curnow leads pretty easily. Curnow leads in pretty much every important stat for a KPF - Even on goals, leads in Shots on goal, Score involvements, goal assists, contested marks. That's with the couple of games he was subbed out from extremely early on in too which dropped those averages quite a bit.

For me though I'm happy to see Waterman selected, had a career best year in a terrible team. Curnow the best KPF in the league when he's up and going but he hasn't had an outstanding season in 2025, just a decent one by his standards.

Andrews absolutely is an awesome player. But Gov is another level.
Gov is in the greatest defender of all time conversation, and thats no exaggeration. Its been a ****ing cheat code having him in the backline all these years(bar the last 3 or so when hes been injured)

But this year is all that matters, or should be. 'Gov' and Weitering over Andrews is total nonsense.

Gets in the team for being tall. Has the disposal of an ape not a midfielder lol
Clearly don't watch football. He has massively improved his kicking lately.

He's a decent player but he's not a generational defender like Gov. Harris has openly admitted to basing his playing style around McGovern.

We've got special people calling McGovern a stat padder when he's averaging less marks and more intercepts than Harris Andrews. So Andrews is the one getting a lot of horizontal ball and not doing much with it.

Unfortunately for Andrews, Weitering has been the best lock down defender this year.

A great player.

Robbed.

Curnow had a great first half but was very average after bye before injured I think. Likely why he wasn't selected.
For our lofty expectations of him Charlie was average most of the year. Never thought he was 100% tbh, but he snagged some bags in quarters here and there off pure freakish talent alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not one thats upset about the Snakes selection, but statistically Curnow leads pretty easily. Curnow leads in pretty much every important stat for a KPF - Even on goals, leads in Shots on goal, Score involvements, goal assists, contested marks. That's with the couple of games he was subbed out from extremely early on in too which dropped those averages quite a bit.

For me though I'm happy to see Waterman selected, had a career best year in a terrible team. Curnow the best KPF in the league when he's up and going but he hasn't had an outstanding season in 2025, just a decent one by his standards.
What Waterman has over all the other KPFs, aside from Cameron, is the insane work rate, always in the top few for kms run in each game getting right up to half back regularly and then beating his man back to goal.
Combine that with the same amount of goals and overall similar stats to Curnow, who lets be honest is getting silver service compared to what Waterman gets, and Waterman is a worthy selection.

Can argue theyve got the 2 leading goal kickers for the year, the 3rd one selected is based on overall performance, not just the "KPF stats"

Stolen from reddit

2ho2b0ebrlld1.jpeg

61 total direct goal involvements (goals/assists), while going at 13.5 disposals and 6.1 score involvements per game from a forward pocket is worthy of making the AA side. He's not the first small forward to be ripped off though, and he won't be the last.
Toby Greene covered all those numbers and more yet didn't make the squad.

Granted Stengle's season is quite comparable to the 2021 AA season won by Tom Papley, but the perception at the time was that Papley didn't deserve to make the team that year, and I see the same with Stengle.

What Waterman has over all the other KPFs, aside from Cameron, is the insane work rate, always in the top few for kms run in each game getting right up to half back regularly and then beating his man back to goal.
Combine that with the same amount of goals and overall similar stats to Curnow, who lets be honest is getting silver service compared to what Waterman gets, and Waterman is a worthy selection.

Can argue theyve got the 2 leading goal kickers for the year, the 3rd one selected is based on overall performance, not just the "KPF stats"
The bigger issue is:

-Why is 3 KPFs and 1 small/general forward, a better balance than 2 KPFs and 2 small/general forwards?

They are basically saying only the best non-KPF in the comp can make the AA side.

3 KPFs and 2 other forwards? Fine. But 3 and 1 is silly.

Toby Greene covered all those numbers and more yet didn't make the squad.

Granted Stengle's season is quite comparable to the 2021 AA season won by Tom Papley, but the perception at the time was that Papley didn't deserve to make the team that year, and I see the same with Stengle.
Greene did have a hugely under the radar great season, it simply wasn't near his 2023 which seemed to work against him. I would've been happy for him to replace one of the tall forwards spots as well, it's not just a "My poor Cats player" thing.

Stengle this year was better than in his 2022 AA season. We had a terrible midfield for half of the season and ball movement was similarly poor for about that time. Stengle provided game lifting moments and offensive 1v1 wins most matches, was the most deadly goal sneak in the comp and there is no other player you'd rather sitting next to the big key forwards. Moore at HFF and Stengle at FF is how you structure a dynamite forward line. Throwing Moore in the pocket and two midfielders on the flanks, then a redundant KPF in another pocket - that's a mess.

Last edited:
reckon they had to fit in nick in the AA on the wing because hes going to win the brownlow

imagine being a brownlow winner and not being in AA

still deserves to be in there but a bit funny on the wing

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back