2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Might want to fact check that one mate

Happy Lady Gaga GIF by BuzzFeed

The bigger issue is:

-Why is 3 KPFs and 1 small/general forward, a better balance than 2 KPFs and 2 small/general forwards?

They are basically saying only the best non-KPF in the comp can make the AA side.

3 KPFs and 2 other forwards? Fine. But 3 and 1 is silly.
Probably not that many smaller forwards putting their hand up above other forwards. Just look at the midfield and bench, its not about making a functioning team

I know the selectors don’t like picking defenders who defend but only having one defender who shuts down his man in the team is a new low for them.

Then you’ve got McGovern who prefers to play loose and try to intercept. Which could work if the other 5 defenders selected didn’t just want to play kick-to-kick with each other and don’t worry about going near an opposition player.

Sicily making the squad with one working shoulder for half a season is a pretty fair effort.

Moore making the AA after glandular fever in the preseason is a great story. Just pure determination that kid. Almost delisted and now an AA.

McGovern is a great defender but if we're talking greatest among all defenders I am not picking him ahead of Scarlett or Enright. Blues fans would also say Doull.

Yep. Rance and Scarlett ahead of Gov for me in my opinion. Mind you, Ramve and Scarlett were different sort of defenders - they'd zone off there opponent but they knew when to do it. Very good readers of the game

Gov still probably one of the best "stoppers".....fantastic intercept mark.

Yes, he has.

View attachment 2096241

Curnow's certainly more elite at getting free kicks though :)

View attachment 2096242View attachment 2096243
This counting the games he was subbed out of? Might be worth having a look at SI, GA, CM etc... Up until he went down Curnow was leading the Coleman for almost 20 weeks straight and statistically the best KPF in the comp despite having a down year.

As I said, idm the Waterman selection... But Curnow had a better season

This counting the games he was subbed out of? Might be worth having a look at SI, GA, CM etc... Up until he went down Curnow was leading the Coleman for almost 20 weeks straight and statistically the best KPF in the comp despite having a down year.

As I said, idm the Waterman selection... But Curnow had a better season

But he didn't?

There's more to being a key forward than simply kicking goals in this day and age.

Clearly the AA selectors thought that as well.

But since you asked, here you go. All this despite playing in one of the worst teams in recent memory. Carlton also averaged 5 & 1/2 more inside 50s per game across the entire season.

Carlton also averaged 3.7 more goals per game, a product of having a vastly superior midfield, which lead to more/better inside 50 entries.

Curnow also played 1 extra game, hence kicking more goals.

1724944637165.png

1724944670252.png

1724944718927.png

1724944765188.png

But he didn't?

There's more to being a key forward than simply kicking goals in this day and age.

Clearly the AA selectors thought that as well.

But since you asked, here you go. All this despite playing in one of the worst teams in recent memory. Carlton also averaged 5 & 1/2 more inside 50s per game across the entire season.

Carlton also averaged 3.7 more goals per game, a product of having a vastly superior midfield, which lead to more/better inside 50 entries.

Curnow also played 1 extra game, hence kicking more goals.

View attachment 2096245

View attachment 2096246

View attachment 2096247

View attachment 2096248
Goals, Contested Marks, Score Involvements, Goal Assists, Shots on Goal and Goal Accuracy % are pretty much the the bread and butter for judging a KPF. Curnow ahead in the majority of those despite having some of those averages reduced by being subbed out injured.

Jake Waterman had a fantastic year and I'm glad he got selected, cbf really having the argument over a player I don't even dislike. Happy for him and WCE fans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goals, Contested Marks, Score Involvements, Goal Assists, Shots on Goal and Goal Accuracy % are pretty much the the bread and butter for judging a KPF. Curnow ahead in the majority of those despite having some of those averages reduced by being subbed out injured.

Jake Waterman had a fantastic year and I'm glad he got selected, cbf really having the argument over a player I don't even dislike. Happy for him and WCE fans
But that's not how the AA is picked.

They look at the year at hand and pick who they think was the better player, not their body of work up until that point.

I'm assuming here but they probably also consider players playing exceptionally well in terrible teams. Would be interested to know if that's the case.

Curnow had a great year and there's merit in the argument that he could've been in over Waterman but it's not the massive outlier like some people in this thread make it out to be.

But that's not how the AA is picked.

They look at the year at hand and pick who they think was the better player, not their body of work up until that point.

I'm assuming here but they probably also consider players playing exceptionally well in terrible teams. Would be interested to know if that's the case.

Curnow had a great year and there's merit in the argument that he could've been in over Waterman but it's not the massive outlier like some people in this thread make it out to be.
What exactly did Waterman do that meant his 2024 season was better than Curnow's? As I said, up until he got injured he was comfortably leading every KPF in every major category and practically everyone just considered him a lock for the 22, and Waterman missed more games than Curnow did so it can't be down to that.

Waterman had a fantastic year in a bad team but thats not really meant to excuse trailing in all the core metrics of a KPF's output.

Yep. Rance and Scarlett ahead of Gov for me in my opinion. Mind you, Ramve and Scarlett were different sort of defenders - they'd zone off there opponent but they knew when to do it. Very good readers of the game

Gov still probably one of the best "stoppers".....fantastic intercept mark.
If youre talking about reading the ball and zoning off Gov is the absolute top for that lol its like youve never watched him play.
Thats the main thing Gov is known for.

My mother drilled the difference between less and fewer in me as a kid. No one got away with using the wrong word in my house :p
Yes, my grandma was an English teacher as well, it’s good to be reminded. It is funny though I don’t know how you got away with saying “I support Sydney”.

Yes, my grandma was an English teacher as well, it’s good to be reminded. It is funny though I don’t know how you got away with saying “I support Sydney”.

I am not sure either :p

My personal one I always correct people on is the difference between poison and venom. Not sure why that one bugs me, though it fortunately does not come up much on bigfooty.

My personal one I always correct people on is the difference between poison and venom. Not sure why that one bugs me, though it fortunately does not come up much on bigfooty.
Hahaha 🤣, funny those little things that you can’t help but be annoyed at!

In the footy world I get annoyed at the overuse of the word humbled or humbling in the wrong context.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back