VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Bizarre how they picked him
Great they did.
Could be their Paddy/Petracca, Billings/Bont moment that they’ll still be agonising over ( like us) years after the fact!

So how did everyone assess Coles game today? 2 disposals and one was a toe kick along the ground. By contrast James Barratt a tall defender from Bendigo rolled out for Essendon, he had 8 disposals and 4 marks and one was a high quality pack mark.

I hope you all watched how when there is a ball in dispute on the ground how Cole stands 5 metres off the contest and rarely gets involved. How at times looks a bit timid with how he attacks the ball or the man. He does exactly the same at U18 level so it wasnt because he was playing VFL. Yes he had a couple of good spoils but for me we need defenders who provide a darn sight more than that.

He is 18 yo playing in the VFL so we shouldnt expect too much, but for me he offers little more at U18 level. Finding or winning the ball is something that needs to be learnt at junior level its too late to be taught at higher levels. Lets hope that showing detracts clubs from bidding on him so if we want we can take him as a rookie.

Last edited:

So how did everyone assess Coles game today? 2 disposals and one was a toe kick along the ground. By contrast James Barratt a tall defender from Bendigo rolled out for Essendon, he had 8 disposals and 4 marks and one was a high quality pack mark.

I hope you all watched how when there is a ball in dispute on the ground how Cole stands 5 metres off the contest and rarely gets involved. How at times looks a bit timid with how he attacks the ball or the man. He does exactly the same at U18 level so it wasnt because he was playing VFL. Yes he had a couple of good spoils but for me we need defenders who provide a darn sight more than that.

He is 18 yo playing in the VFL so we shouldnt expect too much, but for me he offers little more at U18 level. Finding or winning the ball is something that needs to be learnt at junior level its too late to be taught at higher levels. Lets hope that showing detracts clubs from bidding on him so if we want we can take him as a rookie.
Thought he was ok. His positioning is really good and he got a couple of nice spoils in. I think we will just look at him as being very raw and having a lot to work on but also he has a lot to work with. He’s quick off the mark and a massive unit. He would have been very nervous today so that would have affected him. He’s worth a spot on the list

Maybe but if we do that then imo there’s no point making the promise

The idea isn't that we strengthen the Saints, the idea is that we strengthen the Zebs and the alliance.
That means we need to do it with integrity.

( That doesn't mean we will do it with integrity , because sometimes Saints management are stoopid ".

Well Weiderman sort of suggests that we shouldn't take a key defender in the first round.

He looked absolute blue chip in his draft year. Funny how some just don't work out. Josh Schache too.

The midfield numbers for Sandy are a bit concerning. Dow can't seem to find consistency. No one racking it up. For all the shit people are giving Tsatas at least he found the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Cole having played for Sandringham now, have we found a loophole for our drafting a Zebra promise?
Sorry guys, this was tongue in cheek - I never actually intended it to be taken seriously.

Having said that, a Zebras listed player is going to get very lucky this year as I don't believe there are any standouts deserving of an actual rookie spot on an AFL list

Personally with such a tiny pool to select from, I cannot fathom how we can actually afford to rookie a Sandy player every year.
Only a one year contract so not a big commitment if they are no good.
Might have just decided to give up a rookie spot to improve to quality of the sandy players

Only a one year contract so not a big commitment if they are no good.
Might have just decided to give up a rookie spot to improve to quality of the sandy players

Think the idea is to attract fringe players to go down to sandy and compete for a list spot meaning sandy will get stronger could work

It's a good idea to ensure a stronger Sandringham, obviously helps the development of our kids. I'm not entirely sure we attracted anyone that we ordinarily would not have due to the arrangement.

The issue is that list spots are limited and its not like the AFL give us an extra spot to support the alignment. I'd personally hate to miss our next Sinclair or Wilkie due to space issues on the rookie list.

It's a good idea to ensure a stronger Sandringham, obviously helps the development of our kids. I'm not entirely sure we attracted anyone that we ordinarily would not have due to the arrangement.

The issue is that list spots are limited and its not like the AFL give us an extra spot to support the alignment. I'd personally hate to miss our next Sinclair or Wilkie due to space issues on the rookie list.

There were a couple of sign ups this year , who had recently missed the draft.
They haven't been so good , but it might get better in future.

There were a couple of sign ups this year , who had recently missed the draft.
They haven't been so good , but it might get better in future.
I know we got O'Leary, but he did play at Sandy Dragons last year. HHK was also a Sandy boy before the Swans.

Are there others who didn't play for us last year? Genuine question, I hope/d it worked

The arrangement didnt get announced until well into the season so its yet to attract anyone.

We have 2 spots in the rookie list automatically this year as both Heath and Sharman are technically still on it and are now at the 3 year limit you can keep them on it for.

Well Weiderman sort of suggests that we shouldn't take a key defender in the first round.
No doubt SteeloSainter would have taken Weiderman & Scache because they were rated so much higher than anyone else ... because U18 level is where it's at .... potential / development / room for improvement .... can take a hike

No doubt SteeloSainter would have taken Weiderman & Scache because they were rated so much higher than anyone else ... because U18 level is where it's at .... potential / development / room for improvement .... can take a hike

Its absolutely nothing to do with ratings, I am actually suggesting the opposite. I am making my own judgements and not looking through rose coloured glasses and listening to media nuffies.

Time will be the judge, lets see who gets the projections correct.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back