2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

How did Peckett end up this year? I did notice he had one very good game stats wise in the back end. Is he looking a likely prospect and where would we expect him to fall in the draft?
He certainly had a really good back end to the year. Difficult to see him pushing into the top 40 given the strength of this draft, but I would expect a bid in the main draft now.

I believe you may be referring to Lachlan Voss, 19 and 199cm. Played a couple of games for the Zebs late this year. Playing for the Dragons as an overager.

So let’s take him as the Sandy player.

We shouldn’t be compelled to take someone who’s played all year.

The simple message to players should be that if you play for Sandy during the year you’ll be in the mix to be drafted.

How did Peckett end up this year? I did notice he had one very good game stats wise in the back end. Is he looking a likely prospect and where would we expect him to fall in the draft?
Good enough to throw him a chance but nothing that screams legit prospect.
Probs still 50/50 (IMO) to attract a bid due to the depth of the draft, and l think we'd still be hoping he slips to the rookie list.

I could genuinely see a poor outcome being:
With the criteria of Richmond gets 3 off WC and 6 off GC, Adelaide and North switch (crows to ensure Draper, North knowing they still get a different type of mid):
1. FOS
2. Draper
3. Langford
4. Lalor
5. Smith
6. Smilie

We have the choice of Armstrong, Trainor, Reid and any other from the tier 2. I wouldn’t be against Reid, but really only if he comes with a beast or speed from tier 1.

A month or so ago I thought Adelaide would go past us and we would have 4 and 5.
Not a bad outcome because both Armstrong and Trainor will be in demand.

In this scenario:
Take Reid at P7.
Trade P8 back to grab Lindsey or Travaglia.
Keep the change for another pick.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a bad outcome because both Armstrong and Trainor will be in demand.

In this scenario:
Take Reid at P7.
Trade P8 back to grab Lindsey or Travaglia.
Keep the change for another pick.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we miss out on the big 6 it's very reasonable that Lindsey and Travaglia would be the next 2 in line so you'd just have to grab them.

Good enough to throw him a chance but nothing that screams legit prospect.
Probs still 50/50 (IMO) to attract a bid due to the depth of the draft, and l think we'd still be hoping he slips to the rookie list.
To add onto that, is a nice size and has a bit of power and there is something to work with. But like Cole has some serious serious work to do if he were to make it. Will depend on if he’s made of the right stuff.

To add onto that, is a nice size and has a bit of power and there is something to work with. But like Cole has some serious serious work to do if he were to make it. Will depend on if he’s made of the right stuff.
Someone posted that they were talking to a talent watcher and they likened Peckett to an AFL player, but I can’t recall. Was it Warner? It seemed OTT.

Who's better, Cole or Lachlan Voss?
I see more upside in Cole as a pure full back. Voss is more versatile and can play any key position but that could be detrimental bc he isn't exceptional at any

Cole has speed and is already quite well built for a teenager. Not the best overhead but I'm still hopeful that's only going to get better as he becomes more confident with his shoulder (injured last year). I just see so much Alex Pearce in him and I'd love to have a full back of that quality when we are in contention. Hopefully can fix his kicking style too but the foundations are there

The simple message to players should be that if you play for Sandy during the year you’ll be in the mix to be drafted.
I assume we have to add someone that misses out altogether across both drafts. Can’t just make up our own rules 😄. Imagine that. Nominate for anyone that plays for Tongala. “With Pick 17 in the rookie draft, st kilda select Harley Reid”.

Possible that he might not get picked given he is already an overager, but he’s shown quite a bit of improvement. There was talk of him in the mid season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone posted that they were talking to a talent watcher and they likened Peckett to an AFL player, but I can’t recall. Was it Warner? It seemed OTT.
It is OTT, Peckett lacks Warner's leg speed from what I've seen which is what makes Chad so elite. Thing is, some recruiters saw Chad as lacking speed back in his draft year which is interesting

Essendon follow us. You’d think a tall would be a good chance, but one of Travaglia, Lindsay, Hotton a strong chance too. If Richmond hold 10 via Freo, then quite possible that they want Armstrong or Trainor if they’ve taken mids at 1 and likely 6? If the Eagles move back to that pick as has been suggested as a possibility, then the old slap WC with a western Australian - Allan is a possibility if they see him as a mid.

We would want a juicy pick for moving back even 1 or 2 spots. A late first? If we still hold that third rounder by draft day, it might be useful to help us with a better pick in a scenario like that - assuming we will be limited to around 4 picks (outside of FS/NGA) so the 43 becomes tradeable.

Might as well drop the commitment altogether if that's the case. The aim was to improve the standard of non-listed footballers at Sandy. Rookie listing someone like Hipwell would show that we are serious. Inviting someone to play a single game and saying it satisfies the requirement makes a mockery of it. Why would anyone come play at Sandy for a season if we did that? We'd be better off not listing anyone at all and just abandoning the idea.

Essendon follow us. You’d think a tall would be a good chance, but one of Travaglia, Lindsay, Hotton a strong chance too. If Richmond hold 10 via Freo, then quite possible that they want Armstrong or Trainor if they’ve taken mids at 1 and likely 6? If the Eagles move back to that pick as has been suggested as a possibility, then the old slap WC with a western Australian - Allan is a possibility if they see him as a mid.

We would want a juicy pick for moving back even 1 or 2 spots. A late first? If we still hold that third rounder by draft day, it might be useful to help us with a better pick in a scenario like that - assuming we will be limited to around 4 picks (outside of FS/NGA) so the 43 becomes tradeable.
With the news about Trainor's head injuries l think it's safe to remove him from considerations around our picks.

Might as well drop the commitment altogether if that's the case. The aim was to improve the standard of non-listed footballers at Sandy. Rookie listing someone like Hipwell would show that we are serious. Inviting someone to play a single game and saying it satisfies the requirement makes a mockery of it. Why would anyone come play at Sandy for a season if we did that? We'd be better off not listing anyone at all and just abandoning the idea.

What's Hipwell's issue? Inside mid with no obvious role outside that?

What's Hipwell's issue? Inside mid with no obvious role outside that?
I'd say doubts over whether his VFL footy can transfer to AFL level. Very small and doesn't have breakaway speed, he'd get bullied by bigger bodies. Not exactly the best kick so can't play in Gulden/D'Ambrosio's wing role either

Hoffman was the best performed of our NGA's in the preliminary final. He had a really good game and shut down a lot of Dandenongs forward entires playing on Hynes when forward. If he grows another 2 or 3 cm's he could be our next CHB, he is really strong in the air and played with some presence.

Linder also had a decent game but I dont think he is in our calculations.

Cole made some good spoils but has a long long way to go to become an AFL key defender IMO.

Peckett had the quitest game Ive seen him play, he didnt look to be moving well possibly carried an injury.

Bailey McKenzie's effort will shoot him into top 30 calculations. Ashcoft is now the clear No 1 choice of he wasnt a FS.

Reid not one of his most proactive games but his game sense and ability to set team mates up is uncanny. Langford battled hard but Sandi's depth of talent was overwhelming.

Hoffman was the best performed of our NGA's in the preliminary final. He had a really good game and shut down a lot of Dandenongs forward entires playing on Hynes when forward. If he grows another 2 or 3 cm's he could be our next CHB, he is really strong in the air and played with some presence.

Linder also had a decent game but I dont think he is in our calculations.

Cole made some good spoils but has a long long way to go to become an AFL key defender IMO.

Peckett had the quitest game Ive seen him play, he didnt look to be moving well possibly carried an injury.

Bailey McKenzie's effort will shoot him into top 30 calculations. Ashcoft is now the clear No 1 choice of he wasnt a FS.

Reid not one of his most proactive games but his game sense and ability to set team mates up is uncanny. Langford battled hard but Sandi's depth of talent was overwhelming.

Good boy, knows how to follow "team" orders.
No early bids.

Depending on what we and NM suspect Gold Coast and Melbourne are going to do with their picks Don't be surprised if Saints get offered 2 + F1st from North Melbourne for 7 + 8. Then NM draft Armstrong and Trainor with 7 and 8.

Some pundits are not rating next years draft personally I havent seen enough of those kids. North are almost guaranteed to be a bottom 4 finish again, though.

Getting pick #2 this year would be good getting a choice of the midfielders, but I would still be hesitant to move 2 x early picks out of this draft. Getting 2 quality kids this year would put us a year ahead..

Last edited:
We are going to the draft with picks 7 & 8

We will use these picks unless something absolutely extraordinary (completely in our favor) comes along for us to split one
There was a lot of talk about us wanting 3 first rounders this year, whether thats via pick splitting, futures trading or bundling up later picks to a Brisbane or someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back