VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there's still time for lance and I think he makes it.

Don't rate toce though. I think Richmond are about to find that out.

I rate Toce, for where we finished on the ladder he's been elite. Better than Dalrymple in the same period

I hope the coach is sitting lancey boy down this morning and reading him the riot act. Bring the captain and Hilly into the conversation as well to provide a bit of peer feedback.
There can be zero room for sooky attitudes and toxicity has a tendency to grow like a virus.
Cut it out right now. I’d be sacking him next week if he keeps it up to be honest. The club looks to have gone out of its way to make him feel comfortable.
If he didn’t want to risk leaving Perth he shouldn’t have nominated for the draft, as simple as that.
Have a look at Hammer and Poos attitude to being dropped. They lose none of their enthusiasm and use it as an opportunity to improve. Great examples of how to work through disappointment.

West Coast had him in their academy. Knowing those shonky campaigners they will ask him to play shit and get traded over Jamie Cripps style.

Absolutely agree. Some of the overreach on here is a bit OTP.

Good to see some who weren’t getting enough gratification from expressing their opinions about Ming have now turned to a 19 year old and home sick Lance, and seem to think their say opinions should be accepted as fact.
Very different position professionally speaking to Max King. With Max, there's no gratification in what's been said by posters...just frustration, and a general consensus that he would be better away from goal. Also been on the list 6 years...and is now a man...he shouldn't be sooking it up during games, but instead be doing everything in his power and limits of his talent to will the team over the line. He needs to compete harder and better. Hopefully this rehab time finally gets him going, but he's running out of chances.
Lance is a kid, barely been on the list a year, he is going to be immature in many aspects of the game. Hopefully the club give him the time needed to get to where he needs to be.
Hopefully his current attitudinal issues are unrecognizable to what they are in the coming years (If he stays) Hopefully - if he stays - it doesn't take 6 years.

Obviously as I am not there at games etc, I cant comment on Collards game, attitude, demeanour etc. But as a young indigenous guy from WA, this would be a huge culture shock for him in so many ways. He is away from family, relationships and the familiar. He may, or may not, be able to adjust, but clearly needs more time. This is one for the club and welfare staff to work with him.

Three weeks ago my wife and myself went back to the Tiwi Islands where I taught nearly forty years ago. On the ferry on the way over, for our three day visit, we met the daughter of one of my ex-students. She lives in Melbourne, at boarding school there, in her fourth year. Peggy is playing for the womens team at Sandringham. She loves Melbourne (except the weather) and is up for the end of 2025 AFL Draft. Peggy said that her first year away from all that she knew and family was hard, but now she loved it there. She will of course return to the islands after her career, but for now, she loves it and will happily go to wherever in Australia she is drafted.

Peggy trains at RSEA Park and uses facilities there. I asked if she had met any of the St Kilda players, to which she had. When asked who her favourite was, she said Mason Wood. He is so friendly and helpful and has been very kind to her. He always goes out of his way to say hello and check on how she is going. We hear similar stories of Mason from others on the mens list. He is a huge attribute to the club in so many ways. I hope that post career we are able to retain him at the club.

So Collard may not yet be as we want him, but the club will be working with him on this. He needs time, if he can overcome problems with the move, time away from family and traditions, excellent. If he can't then of course sadly it will not have worked out. But fair go, give the kid some time, its early days.
What a terrific and balanced summary, well said!

If this is actually the case, and I highly doubt it because you're just another random punter on Big Footy, that is the stupidest draft decision I've ever seen.

We need desperately need wins for our first round picks. Imagine picking a player who 'might' not go home.

You can stop pretending to be a fly on the wall now.
I think there was a similar element to the Harley Reid and Jason Horne Francis draft selections among many others. There may be an element of risk, which the degree of is basically unknown to all until actually experienced by the player, but you have to take that chance for the up side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is incredibly fit. Playing at a high level. Don’t see why he couldn’t. We need lots of guys to get to 100 games.

One problem of ours is not enough from the 80’s and 90’s got to 100 games. Or the ones that did had daughters.
This often repeated statement that our stars had daughters is not exactly accurate, i I remember. I certainly know Harvey, Loewe and Winmar had boys, some of our lesser lights did too like Matt Young, Frankie Peckett, etc.

The sad fact is they didn't take up footy or they did but weren't good enough.

Which begs the question, why not? Their dads had enough talent and presumably passion for the game to pass on to their kids, how is it that the stars of other clubs were able to sire players of equal or higher talent and determination and ours weren't?

Last edited:
This often repeated statement that our stars had daughters is not exactly accurate, i I remember. I certainly know Harvey, Loewe and Winmar had boys, some of our lesser lights did too like Matt Young, Frankie Peckett, etc.

You might be right. But Lockett and Frawley had only daughters. I should have said….mainly daughters.

I think there was a similar element to the Harley Reid and Jason Horne Francis draft selections among many others. There may be an element of risk, which the degree of is basically unknown to all until actually experienced by the player, but you have to take that chance for the up side.
Naz being the best example imo

Which begs the question, why not? Their dads had enough talent and presumably passion for the game to pass on to their kids, how is it that the stars of other clubs were able to sire players of equal or higher talent and determination and ours weren't?
They saw the pain of being a StKilda player and scarred them away from football....simples

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

FFS can you stop that rubbish.
They backed our culture and took a very talented kid. It worked for Nas but doesn't seem so for Lance.
There's always a risk and maybe this one hasn't worked. Maybe it will work out. Maybe his bloody dog died.
Nas had to be talked out of returning home in his first year. Over the bye break the club sent him home for a spell because he was homesick.

Fortunately, Terry Milera told him to put on his big boy pants and honour his contract. The rest, so far at least, is history. I hope Lance goes the same way.

It's the St Kilda curse.

Thought this might be the best thread for this stellar interview.

And this right here, the light in Pou's eyes and how players like him can use wins like this to build, is why you don't tank.

Getting high picks is important, and we shouldn't be too hard on the club if they're looking to reset a little, but when you deliberately lose, you also lose the passion and the winning mentality.

That game would have been worth nearly every game before it in terms of developed for Mattaes

And this right here, the light in Pou's eyes and how players like him can use wins like this to build, is why you don't tank.

Getting high picks is important, and we shouldn't be too hard on the club if they're looking to reset a little, but when you deliberately lose, you also lose the passion and the winning mentality.

That game would have been worth nearly every game before it in terms of developed for Mattaes
We need to teach the young players to win. To turn those close losses into victory.
Then when more players come in, they don't need to re-educate the entire playing group.

You might be right. But Lockett and Frawley had only daughters. I should have said….mainly daughters.

The biggest issue we had was being a bottom side for years we had an unsettled line up and plenty of players coming for short stints.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back