List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah its funny that other clubs supporters talk about removing free agency compensation cos it doesn't exist in other leagues....

Neither does F/S or academy selections!

Double dipping there really. If we want to make the draft truly equitable wipe all of it!
I honestly don't see why FA is needed. If a player is out of contact, they'll get to the club they want with minimal barriers.

Hell, even contacted players are getting to their preferred clubs these days.

So why keep FA? Just let clubs negotiate a trade for an OOC player and the controversy is gone. Hawks FR this year (currently 14) probably wouldn't have upset many people.

Someone wrote - apologies, I can’t find it, otherwise I would add the quote - that they thought Angus Hastie (in response to a suggestion/hope that he might fill Battle’s boots) just didn’t have the size and speed for AFL football. Moreover, and this bit probably stung my curiosity, that he didn’t really have any stand out talents.

He’s 190cm.

What do people think about this? Honestly, will he make it?

Is he gonna end up in Paton territory? Fringe defender? Sandy/Sub/Saints Firsts/Sandy/Sub..etc..etc.
I think we'll find Hammer takes Battle's role and does just fine.
Hastie will be a player. Looks like a smaller version Gilbo with better skills and footy IQ.
If we had 2 proper KPDs he could conceivably play 3rd tall when he's strong enough but we'd want him attacking instead.

Lewis Young is serviceable, I’ve seen him play good games for Dogs and Blues.
He’s 25 and moves well for a 6 foot 6 dude. I’m sure he’d nominate us if we said Battle role is yours if you’re good enough.
Pretty surprised he's on the outer. He's looked fine wherever I've been bored enough to watch Carlton play.

Someone wrote - apologies, I can’t find it, otherwise I would add the quote - that they thought Angus Hastie (in response to a suggestion/hope that he might fill Battle’s boots) just didn’t have the size and speed for AFL football. Moreover, and this bit probably stung my curiosity, that he didn’t really have any stand out talents.

He’s 190cm.

Is he gonna end up in Paton territory? Fringe defender? Sandy/Sub/Saints Firsts/Sandy/Sub..etc..etc.
He was third in the agility test at the combine last year which is pretty impressive for a guy his size. Neat skills, a decent turn of foot and a good head on his shoulders. Tom Stewart is also 190cm, McGovern 190cm, Luke Ryan 187cm, his height isn't an issue at all as long as he can jump, reach and use his body. Only just turned 19 so still plenty of learning and development to go but definitely has all the attributes to make it IMO. Keen to see how he goes next year, think he has stacks of improvement left in him once he starts filling out

It's sad neither Oscar Adams or Van Es turned into players, we've drafted for that KPD depth to cover a loss from the defensive unit but they didn't work out.
Adams played well for Glenelg in the
It's sad neither Oscar Adams or Van Es turned into players, we've drafted for that KPD depth to cover a loss from the defensive unit but they didn't work out.
Oscar had a good season at SANFL and played in a Premiership with Glenelg,but not sure he would have been a regular at AFL level

Now that we need a third tall defender we should see if the Hawks would accept our second for Battle. Could go alright in our backline.
Wait, I've got a brilliant plan.

What if we really wanted a first rounder, so we pick up a UFA (let's say Noah Balta) for 900K over 5 years to trigger Band 1, then just trade him back to Richmond for the compensation pick (for this to work Richmond would want to be offering Balta the same contract).

We get our early pick out of thin air, Richmond keep their player at the value they were happy with.

Something tells me if Geelong or Sydney did this it would be ticked off.

Hammer fills Batts role.
Wood fills Hammers role
Ari fills Woods role.

I'm not sure l like that as l want Max at CHF but it can be done with what we have. The resurgence of Coops gives us options. It's also still possible that Membrey stays on a 1 year deal.
I cant see Ari getting up and down the ground like Wood does, maybe and i mean maybe down the track in a year or two he might be able to when he gets a tank

McLennan is 188, Wilkie is 191.

McLennan is definitely only a flanker. Webster replacement.

PS Battle is 193
Hofmann is the Webster replacement. I know he hasn’t even been drafted yet, but he has all the attributes - speed, intercepting, defensive craft

McLennan is more a Starcevich so he’ll have to rely on body work more than closing speed. Definitely could lock down on medium defenders, but I’m not sure how he fits with the entire back 7 considering our defence is already quite slow especially losing Battle

If McLennan and Hofmann/Hastie can turn into the Starcevich Answerth pairing of the 2024 premiership team, it could work alongside Nas Sinc (Zorko, Wilmot), Doug/Cole Wilkie (Payne, Andrews), Arie/Hammer (Lester)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s 190cm.

Just simply too early to tell. Needs to add more strength, fitness, etc. Still quite raw at senior level and plenty of development and learning the game to go.

I'm confident that the midfield is better with Macrae. The back 6 is going to be the big question mark over the side. Our back 6 kept us in matches last year. A fit side will make a huge difference as well but really need a third tall back ready to go.

Our back 6 is still there as normally a back 7 add Cordy as the Battle replacement & it’s still ok, Cordy plays the 3rd tall will work.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tiges about to get a few more decent picks with Rioli, Baker and Bolton all leaving, what are the chances they go for a Kako bid with Bolton leaving if they get another top 10 pick?

Would Tigers bid before pick 9? If so, when?

That will be the calculation Bombers will be making.

If Tigers get pick 6 for Rioli then they probably trade that to North in a package deal involving North’s pick 2.

Tigers will probably only have picks 1 and 2 before Essendon’s pick. They won’t bid.

Therefore, logically, Essendon will probably conclude that the danger lies with either Melbourne or St Kilda.

I doubt Demons reach for Kako with 5 (unlikely but not impossible) leaving Saints as the wildcard.

If Saints tell Bombers they are possibly bidding for Kako then do the Bombers hold firm or prudently trade-down?

Do Saints really like Kako? Test of nerves if they do.

Would Tigers bid before pick 9? If so, when?

That will be the calculation Bombers will be making.

If Tigers get pick 6 for Rioli then they probably trade that to North in a package deal involving North’s pick 2.

Tigers will probably only have picks 1 and 2 before Essendon’s pick. They won’t bid.

Therefore, logically, Essendon will probably conclude that the danger lies with either Melbourne or St Kilda.

I doubt Demons reach for Kako with 5 (unlikely but not impossible) leaving Saints as the wildcard.

If Saints tell Bombers they are possibly bidding for Kako then do the Bombers hold firm or prudently trade-down?

Do Saints really like Kako? Test of nerves if they do.

Geez would be a bold call by Norf to trade pick 2, I know they've indicated to the media they're open to it, but top 3 picks are rare. If Richmond can get pick 6 for Rioli + steak knives, then a Kako bid would be a decent chance. If they upgrade to pick 2 then yeah that's a stretch. Not sure if Norf would bid on Kako, they probably want an inside mid to come through with Wardlaw if LDU is a chance of leaving. McKercher is more a winger, Duursma a forward, Sheezel playing great off halfback. Makes you wonder why North are considering downgrading though, they get the pick of the draft outside of pick 1. Strange.

So - for a sunday morning Hypothetical... If we were to get 9 from Ess, giving us 7,8 and 9. What if Andy Brayshaw was shopping for a house now..........in Brighton. Would we be going after him now instead of next year?? Using that pick 9?? Be a hell of a haul. Brayshaw, MaCrae, pick 7 and 8 and Soldo.
What if Bob Murphy was at RSEA Park last week?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back