VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

We are really having a go at Toce for taking a player that every draft outlet rated to go around our pick?

Shouldn't be surprised. The same types would be the first to attack him and call him hopeless if another Vic club took him with the next pick and he developed into a good player.

How about we give a teenager some patience and stop hounding him for not handling everything perfectly.

I hope the coach is sitting lancey boy down this morning and reading him the riot act. Bring the captain and Hilly into the conversation as well to provide a bit of peer feedback.
There can be zero room for sooky attitudes and toxicity has a tendency to grow like a virus.
Cut it out right now. I’d be sacking him next week if he keeps it up to be honest. The club looks to have gone out of its way to make him feel comfortable.
If he didn’t want to risk leaving Perth he shouldn’t have nominated for the draft, as simple as that.
Have a look at Hammer and Poos attitude to being dropped. They lose none of their enthusiasm and use it as an opportunity to improve. Great examples of how to work through disappointment.

I hope the coach is sitting lancey boy down this morning and reading him the riot act. Bring the captain and Hilly into the conversation as well to provide a bit of peer feedback.
There can be zero room for sooky attitudes and toxicity has a tendency to grow like a virus.
Cut it out right now. I’d be sacking him next week if he keeps it up to be honest. The club looks to have gone out of its way to make him feel comfortable.
If he didn’t want to risk leaving Perth he shouldn’t have nominated for the draft, as simple as that.
Have a look at Hammer and Poos attitude to being dropped. They lose none of their enthusiasm and use it as an opportunity to improve. Great examples of how to work through disappointment.
That's the opposite of what the coach should do.

Obviously as I am not there at games etc, I cant comment on Collards game, attitude, demeanour etc. But as a young indigenous guy from WA, this would be a huge culture shock for him in so many ways. He is away from family, relationships and the familiar. He may, or may not, be able to adjust, but clearly needs more time. This is one for the club and welfare staff to work with him.

Three weeks ago my wife and myself went back to the Tiwi Islands where I taught nearly forty years ago. On the ferry on the way over, for our three day visit, we met the daughter of one of my ex-students. She lives in Melbourne, at boarding school there, in her fourth year. Peggy is playing for the womens team at Sandringham. She loves Melbourne (except the weather) and is up for the end of 2025 AFL Draft. Peggy said that her first year away from all that she knew and family was hard, but now she loved it there. She will of course return to the islands after her career, but for now, she loves it and will happily go to wherever in Australia she is drafted.

Peggy trains at RSEA Park and uses facilities there. I asked if she had met any of the St Kilda players, to which she had. When asked who her favourite was, she said Mason Wood. He is so friendly and helpful and has been very kind to her. He always goes out of his way to say hello and check on how she is going. We hear similar stories of Mason from others on the mens list. He is a huge attribute to the club in so many ways. I hope that post career we are able to retain him at the club.

So Collard may not yet be as we want him, but the club will be working with him on this. He needs time, if he can overcome problems with the move, time away from family and traditions, excellent. If he can't then of course sadly it will not have worked out. But fair go, give the kid some time, its early days.

Last edited:
Mate I was at the game and if he was playing under 12 with that attitude he would be asked not to come back. Something is up
Something being the key point.

Could just be he is disappointed in how he's playing.

Way to much speculation and conjecture

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

We picked Collard knowing he didn't want to leave, but hoping we could overcome that. It would kinda go against principal to give up on that at first chance.
If this is actually the case, and I highly doubt it because you're just another random punter on Big Footy, that is the stupidest draft decision I've ever seen.

We need desperately need wins for our first round picks. Imagine picking a player who 'might' not go home.

You can stop pretending to be a fly on the wall now.

Re Collard, It's most probable that he is missing being in WA, and if that is the case then a win/win proposal would be for the Saints to give him the opportunity to go back for the remainder of the year and see if he can get some games in the WAFL. Sometimes the reality of going home doesn't meet the expectations. Additionally tell his manager that he is free to talk to the Weagles and Freo, and if they offer a first round pick and he want's to go back to WA at the end of the year the Saints would release him early. If he doesn't get that offer from the WA clubs then he starts pre season next year back at Moorabin with the rest of the team in 2025. I don't think Lance is going to contribute to the Saints in 2024, in fact he may be someone who shouldn't be around. This way he gets time to work out his own headspace before 2025.

We are really having a go at Toce for taking a player that every draft outlet rated to go around our pick?

Shouldn't be surprised. The same types would be the first to attack him and call him hopeless if another Vic club took him with the next pick and he developed into a good player.

How about we give a teenager some patience and stop hounding him for not handling everything perfectly.

I watched the coverage on draft night, and it seemed to me there were a "group" of guys there, including SOS, and they seemed to be calmly discussing things.

Also:
Carlton clearly have a crap list manager, 16 games and only 9 goals.

and West coast have a crap list manager, 9 games and only 7 goals.

Collard seems to struggle to get the ball, but when he gets it he hits the scoreboard.
I can't think of a reason not to coach him and train him with a view to getting more of the ball.

Shai Bolton springs to mind.

Very very similar vibes to Collard going into that draft.

And we've heard plenty in the proceeding years about what a stuff up it was not taking him when we could.

Re Collard, It's most probable that he is missing being in WA, and if that is the case then a win/win proposal would be for the Saints to give him the opportunity to go back for the remainder of the year and see if he can get some games in the WAFL. Sometimes the reality of going home doesn't meet the expectations. Additionally tell his manager that he is free to talk to the Weagles and Freo, and if they offer a first round pick and he want's to go back to WA at the end of the year the Saints would release him early. If he doesn't get that offer from the WA clubs then he starts pre season next year back at Moorabin with the rest of the team in 2025. I don't think Lance is going to contribute to the Saints in 2024, in fact he may be someone who shouldn't be around. This way he gets time to work out his own headspace before 2025.
I think you mean second round pick.

Shai Bolton springs to mind.

Very very similar vibes to Collard going into that draft.

And we've heard plenty in the proceeding years about what a stuff up it was not taking him when we could.
Bolton and collard are very very different players.

Collard required alot more development than Bolton.

It's interesting we selected him given how much development it would take. I think players are more likely to go back home if they're not playing senior footy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand the Collard home sick situation.
There would be many people me included that would struggle being taken away from family and friends.
I understand it’s a professional environment and if you want to play in the big league you have to put on your big boy pants but it wouldn’t make it any easier.
I feel for Collard and hope he isn’t suffering to much off field.
Unless someone is in the know or has talked to him and he has said I'm homesick. Then none of us would know.

Unless someone is in the know or has talked to him and he has said I'm homesick. Then none of us would know.
Spot on. The only thing we know, and can comment on, is what we see. And what we are seeing is very ordinary atm. Hopefully for our sake, the club can get/keep him happy and get him motoring next year.

Spot on. The only thing we know, and can comment on, is what we see. And what we are seeing is very ordinary atm. Hopefully for our sake, the club can get/keep him happy and get him motoring next year.

We’ve got a lot of indigenous boys around to make him feel at home.

We have Aunty Katrina and a very impressive approach to indigenous culture.

We have Brad Hill who is like a hero to these lads.

And of course we have the incomparable Mason Wood showing enormous care for all his team mates.

We have great coaching staff.

We have the brilliant Tony Brown looking after players welfare.

We have much improved management and facilities.

We invested our first round pick on Lance, fully aware of the challenges in regard to developing him and retaining him.

I’m sure the club will do all it can to turn him around and make him the player he can be. At the Saints.

However if all that eventually fails, at least we’ll know there’s not more we could’ve done.

Obviously as I am not there at games etc, I cant comment on Collards game, attitude, demeanour etc. But as a young indigenous guy from WA, this would be a huge culture shock for him in so many ways. He is away from family, relationships and the familiar. He may, or may not, be able to adjust, but clearly needs more time. This is one for the club and welfare staff to work with him.

Three weeks ago my wife and myself went back to the Tiwi Islands where I taught nearly forty years ago. On the ferry on the way over, for our three day visit, we met the daughter of one of my ex-students. She lives in Melbourne, at boarding school there, in her fourth year. Peggy is playing for the womens team at Sandringham. She loves Melbourne (except the weather) and is up for the end of 2025 AFL Draft. Peggy said that her first year away from all that she knew and family was hard, but now she loved it there. She will of course return to the islands after her career, but for now, she loves it and will happily go to wherever in Australia she is drafted.

Peggy trains at RSEA Park and uses facilities there. I asked if she had met any of the St Kilda players, to which she had. When asked who her favourite was, she said Mason Wood. He is so friendly and helpful and has been very kind to her. He always goes out of his way to say hello and check on how she is going. We hear similar stories of Mason from others on the mens list. He is a huge attribute to the club in so many ways. I hope that post career we are able to retain him at the club.

So Collard may not yet be as we want him, but the club will be working with him on this. He needs time, if he can overcome problems with the move, time away from family and traditions, excellent. If he can't then of course sadly it will not have worked out. But fair go, give the kid some time, its early days.
Great post SS. Just on Mason Wood. He is one of our best gets in years. Terrific player, and what he does behind the scenes is pretty special. I see he is helping coach the AFLW team. Really hope we wrap him up post footy career for a role. Guys like him make a club. Invaluable.

Great post SS. Just on Mason Wood. He is one of our best gets in years. Terrific player, and what he does behind the scenes is pretty special. I see he is helping coach the AFLW team. Really hope we wrap him up post footy career for a role. Guys like him make a club. Invaluable.

Would love to see him get to 100 games with the Saints (only managed 65 at the Roos)

Think he’ll get to around 70 by the end of this year if he plays all remaining games*

* Just gotta stop courageously trying to kill himself!

Would love to see him get to 100 games with the Saints (only managed 65 at the Roos)

Think he’ll get to around 70 by the end of this year if he plays all remaining games*

* Just gotta stop courageously trying to kill himself!
He is incredibly fit. Playing at a high level. Don’t see why he couldn’t. We need lots of guys to get to 100 games.

One problem of ours is not enough from the 80’s and 90’s got to 100 games. Or the ones that did had daughters.

And of course we have the incomparable Mason Wood showing enormous care for all his team mates.

We invested our first round pick on Lance, fully aware of the challenges in regard to developing him and retaining him.

I’m sure the club will do all it can to turn him around and make him the player he can be. At the Saints.

However if all that eventually fails, at least we’ll know there’s not more we could’ve done.
This for sure. I think its just patience. He is settling it takes guys different amounts of time to settle. We know Nas struggled in his first year.

Absolutely agree. Some of the overreach on here is a bit OTP.

Good to see some who weren’t getting enough gratification from expressing their opinions about Ming have now turned to a 19 year old and home sick Lance, and seem to think their say opinions should be accepted as fact.

200% both Mason Wood and Brad Hill should be slotted into development roles the minute they finish playing, they are both terrific characters for the club and future kids development.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back