Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

YvUOp8I.jpg

My review of the game:
  • Hawthorn are the biggest sooks in football.
  • our players played their roles - with my best three, in order is Jase, Jordan and Connor.

While Jase has been correctly identified as having a great game, I though his games against St Kilda and to a lesser extent, Richmond were better.

Only 35 games now played, and consistency is an issue. Let’s hope he has two more great games this year.

Finally dawned on me a few hours ago its taken 23 years for footy karma to occur.

2001 SF v Hawks - a few days after September 11th, and eariest feeling I've ever had a footy match, Fabian Francis streaming into goal from 48m out on 45 degree angle, tries to bounce kick a goal but it hits the post and we go 3 pts up. Over the next minute the ball ends up in Hawthorn's forward line and they kick a goal and win by 3 pts.

Last night, Silicy's set shot to win the game hits the post and we hang on over the next minute and win the game by 3 pts.

We did spend the next 5 or 6 years belting the Hawks for revenge for the straight sets knock out and causing a few upset wins after that, like early in 2009 at MCG playing the defending premiers.

Maybe footy Karma means the Hawks will start belting us for revenge.

Sorry, I might be having a senior's moment. But this is Dermott Brereton, the same guy who stood on guy's heads, ran through opposition huddles, left a trail of broken bones from his off the ball hits. The Dermott Brereton who had a song Dermie's a Hood named after him?

He's the moral arbiter of football behaviour now? He's offended by some post game banter?

Amidst mea culpas, previously admitted he racially-vilified Chris Lewis during the 1991 Grand Final too.

We just need Don Scott to be rolled in on a fainting couch.

We really played hard and tackled hard.

I thought the main difference was not having McEntee, Dixon and Burton in the team.

We have a fair whack of spuds to remove still but the out and out talent in the team is pretty darn high.

And I'm sure it's been said but if the Hawkers didn't get a few easy goals from free kicks, they may have got zippo.

We obviously struggled with marking and contested marking in the F50.

The ring ins down back were all borderline outstanding. Given their youth, just impressive.

I though Matthew Richardson in the commentary box was really good and balanced and stood up for us and finals footy a few times.

Last edited:
Yeah, funny how the sensitivity for Jack G and his age doesn’t factor into discussions for Jason H-F.

Hence why personally, I don't have much time for Hawk supporters as well as other Victorian club supporters because since last season they've consistently booed Jason Horne-Francis as a collective many times when it's had nothing to do with them. Another reason why I've really despised crow supporters more so since last year because again, nothing to do with them but they booed him. It's funny how they thought it was OK to boo the Hornet like they did yet complain over this Jack crap.

That pressure game has been our 1-wood the last 2 months, just simple, no nonsense, hard/manic football, can take us all the way if we continue on with it.

It's also been that favorite club you go looking for in your bag, only to leave you with that sinking feeling when you realise you don't have it today. Let's hope when we reach into the bag this week, it's right there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:

Great game of football. We finally break our knockout final drought, making it arguably our biggest win since 2014.

Attitude and intensity. Thats the expectation every final. Thats how you reach your potential. Just about every player put in 100%. Thats all we ask for, win or lose.

Young stars. Jase Burgoyne could be the best Burgoyne yet. Best on ground in a big final and still has so much to give. Sinn, Jones, Zerk, MG also stood up big time.

Willie Rioli. Just played at a level above everyone else on the ground it felt like. Elite game.

Bad:

Inconsistency. Why the **** do we come out breathing fire one week then rolling over the next? Its just not acceptable to be able to play like that and not show up for over a half against the cats. Its great that we're still in it, but if we'd done this last week there is a good chance we'd have a home prelim rather than having to travel.

The coaching. **** me where is our forward structure. At one point we were 3 goals from 22 inside 50s. We have to work twice as hard as our opponents consistently because of how inefficient we are. Should have been up by 40 odd in the second but we continuously let teams stay in touch because of this and in the end need luck to win it.

The post match interview and framing. We were a top 2 side playing a plucky 7th, at our home ground. How we ended up with the underdogs tag is beyond me. The job done speech from Rozee was embarrassing. Especially when its clear beyond any doubt now that we've already blown multiple opportunities. We've won one out of the three games we must win. Thats all. Win the next two then put on your I told you so hat.

Ugly:

Umpiring was absolutely shocking. Rules like dissent and kicking the ball away from a ball up that dont get applied almost ever somehow magically come back when it matters to Port. Dangerous tackle rule is now laughable and its clear nobody understands it. High tackles from ducking players still get shit umps sucked in over and over. Terrible.

The entire episode has descended to a media beat up. Hinkley and Sicily have both moved to defuse the situation. After Hinkley made a public apology for his outburst James Sicily was on the news bulletin last night saying there was no need for an apology. Sicily also said that Hawthorn had spoken with Ginnivan about his social media posts. It sounds to me as if both parties have moved on.

TBH I am not sure what Hinkley found so offensive in a 'See ya in 14 days' comment. OK, it is presumptive and a tad arrogant but hardly the sort of thing you go to war over. Maybe the old saying, winners are grinners and losers can please themselves should apply?

The media are full of please explain from the AFL but according to Matthew Richardson all the AFL has asked is for 'extra details'.

The entire episode has descended to a media beat up. Hinkley and Sicily have both moved to defuse the situation. After Hinkley made a public apology for his outburst James Sicily was on the news bulletin last night saying there was no need for an apology. Sicily also said that Hawthorn had spoken with Ginnivan about his social media posts. It sounds to me as if both parties have moved on.

TBH I am not sure what Hinkley found so offensive in a 'See ya in 14 days' comment. OK, it is presumptive and a tad arrogant but hardly the sort of thing you go to war over. Maybe the old saying, winners are grinners and losers can please themselves should apply?

The media are full of please explain from the AFL but according to Matthew Richardson all the AFL has asked is for 'extra details'.

Ginnivan started some shit, Hinkley returns serve, Sicily stands up for his mate. All totally normal shit.

Its sad where we're at the point where anything that isnt totally sterilised now needs a royal inquiry.

Hence why personally, I don't have much time for Hawk supporters as well as other Victorian club supporters because since last season they've consistently booed Jason Horne-Francis as a collective many times when it's had nothing to do with them. Another reason why I've really despised crow supporters more so since last year because again, nothing to do with them but they booed him. It's funny how they thought it was OK to boo the Hornet like they did yet complain over this Jack crap.
Hawks fan here... Jason Horne-Francis is probably my favourite AFL footballer. Every Hawthorn fan I know thinks he is unbelievable. JHF and Nick Daicos (and Toby Greene) are the opposition players I would pay money to watch as a neutral.

He was too good for us in the 1 point Round 11 defeat and too good again for us in the 3 point defeat on Friday night.

How he was left out of the All Australian team, I will never know... It doesn't matter too much. He'll end up with 5 or 6 AA blazers and probably win a Brownlow one day.

Last edited:
It's a shame that all the controversial clickbait crap is what drives the media these days

Instead of a talking about a great game (and a great 'backs to the wall' win by Port) the media have been preoccupied with all the horseshit between Jack Ginnivan and Ken Hinkley. Basically catering to all the non-Port, non-Hawthorn nuffies who don't really give a shit about the game we played, but who LOVE all the controversial "he said she said" crap.

While I love the budding rivalry between our clubs which is partially built on stuff like this, I also find it disappointing that Ginnivan posted crap on Twitter which made the week all about him instead of Port v Hawks and Luke Breust's 300th AFL game. He's young and immature (and probably a bit of a dickhead who needs to grow up.)

Likewise, Hinkley probably let himself down a bit with his post-game antics which have also taken some of the gloss off Port's great win and he's made himself the centre of attention instead of his players.

My own personal attitude to it all is that winners are grinners and losers can please themselves. Ken and the Port players are fully entitled to chirp at Ginnivan after the game. Ginnivan brought all of this on himself. It sucks that he has dragged the HFC into it, as well. But we have to defend him now cos he's one of us.

I think everyone was a little bit emotional after the game. Kenny, with his job on the line. Our leaders, Sammy Mitchell and Sicily too, after a crushing defeat in a game we so nearly snatched away from you in the final minute. Sicily has given his all this season, courageously playing with a separated shoulder since the 5th May, playing so brilliantly and carrying the team on his back. I'm guessing he personally felt responsible for the loss with his set shot 'poster'. A case of so close, yet so far...

The cold light of day has brought some perspective to the matter. It's all a storm in a teacup. The Hawks have moved on... (But we'll be ultra-determined to get our revenge next year.)

Meanwhile Port have bigger fish to fry next Friday in Sydney.

Good luck, Port fans. Give 'em hell! :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back