Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn wont get the soft draw they had this year and the AFL will put them in prime time big games on the big stage. They finished 16th last year so played most of double games against bottom 6 and middle 6.

Wouldn't be surprised if they stagnate even go back a bit in 2025, before taking off in 2026. Its happened all before and it will happen again. Footy isn't always a natural progression upward graph.

Hawks 2024 double up games and 2023 ladder position were;
Collingwood 1st, GWS 7th made PF, Adelaide 10th, Geelong 12th, Richmond 13th, North 17th,

Post the 0-5 start and in that 14-4 run they beat;

North (17th) in 6th game by 45pts to break their duck then by 124pts
Rich (18th) 48pts and 63pts
WCE (16th) 61pts
Adel (15th) 27pts and 66pts

They lost to Sydney (1st) by 76pts, Port (2nd) 1pt Gee (3rd) 51pts and GWS (4th) 2pts
and beat GWS (4th) by 6pts at York Park, Bris (5th) 25pts Docklands and Bulldogs (6th) 7pts at Docklands

They smashed Collingwood and injury plagued Carlton very late in the season by 11 goals each and used the wide open spaces of MCG to full advantage.

Nothing is guranteed they will be a powerhouse next year.

Honestly, Hinkley shouldn't have mouthed off, but with all the media carry on by the Hawthorn media mafia you'd swear he bit the heads off a nest of baby hawks and spat them in the faces of the Hawthorn team.
The Geelong media mafia will come out and back Hinkley.

Saw Jimmy Bartel do it on 9's Sunday (general) Sports show, and he will do it again on Footy Furnace tonight and no doubt Leigh Matthews go the other way. Whateley will back him today and tomorrow and Joel Selwood will do his bit. If Billy Brownless was still at 9 he would threaten to bring peace to Hinkley and Sicily over a few frothies at his pub.

Just repeating here the point Kane Cornes made on the Footy Show, that he said Port had no right to win that game, Farrell and Houston out, Burton out, Dixon out just before the game, Lorenz in for his second game (quarter), Marshall playing his first game in 6 weeks and then subbed out half way through after head knocks, a string of dodgy free kicks for goals to Hawthorn. Throw in our best pressure forward SPP who we've missed for most of the year.

Some of the inexperienced kids who stood up in this game, like Jase Burgoyne, Logan Evans, Lachie Jones covered the losses better than we could have hoped.
This was a good listen

Someone this morning on one of the TV sports shows said Rd 1 (well Rd 2 given the BS Rd 0) should open with Port v Hawthorn game. Didn't say which venue.

Just repeating here the point Kane Cornes made on the Footy Show, that he said Port had no right to win that game, Farrell and Houston out, Burton out, Dixon out just before the game, Lorenz in for his second game (quarter), Marshall playing his first game in 6 weeks and then subbed out half way through after head knocks, a string of dodgy free kicks for goals to Hawthorn. Throw in our best pressure forward SPP who we've missed for most of the year.

Some of the inexperienced kids who stood up in this game, like Jase Burgoyne, Logan Evans, Lachie Jones covered the losses better than we could have hoped.

it's online already too I've started watching, I think Kane said it's one of our or one of the great wins

No, I moved on to the Preliminary Final yesterday and the entire clubs needs to as well.

Please for the love of god don't spend this week drinking our own bathwater 😵‍💫.

Given the jubilation and then high controversy at the end of the game, the chances of an emotional crash in the PF with the seams coming apart and a belting ensuing are high.

We need a low-key week without the coach or president doing or saying anything stupid (challenge:impossible).

Hawthorn wont get the soft draw they had this year and the AFL will put them in prime time big games on the big stage. They finished 16th last year so played most of double games against bottom 6 and middle 6.

Wouldn't be surprised if they stagnate even go back a bit in 2025, before taking off in 2026. Its happened all before and it will happen again. Footy isn't always a natural progression upward graph.

Hawks 2024 double up games and 2023 ladder position were;
Collingwood 1st, GWS 7th made PF, Adelaide 10th, Geelong 12th, Richmond 13th, North 17th,

Post the 0-5 start and in that 14-4 run they beat;

North (17th) in 6th game by 45pts to break their duck then by 124pts
Rich (18th) 48pts and 63pts
WCE (16th) 61pts
Adel (15th) 27pts and 66pts

They lost to Sydney (1st) by 76pts, Port (2nd) 1pt Gee (3rd) 51pts and GWS (4th) 2pts
and beat GWS (4th) by 6pts at York Park, Bris (5th) 25pts Docklands and Bulldogs (6th) 7pts at Docklands

They smashed Collingwood and injury plagued Carlton very late in the season by 11 goals each and used the wide open spaces of MCG to full advantage.

Nothing is guranteed they will be a powerhouse next year.
I reckon they feel a bit like us in 2013. Huge year to get back on track, but may need to consolidate for a couple years before a serious push.

Unbelievable season for a side many thought would be bottom 4 though.

it's online already too I've started watching, I think Kane said it's one of our or one of the great wins

The Hinkley saga is typical Victorian grandstanding self righteous over reaction to a non Victorian side whereas if its a Victorian side with a coach being aggressive its good theatre and we understand the emotion etc etc.
VFL underpins everything that is AFL. I hope the GF is between two non Vic sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I moved on to the Preliminary Final yesterday and the entire clubs needs to as well.

Please for the love of god don't spend this week drinking our own bathwater 😵‍💫.

Given the jubilation and then high controversy at the end of the game, the chances of an emotional crash in the PF with the seams coming apart and a belting ensuing are high.

We need a low-key week without the coach or president doing or saying anything stupid (challenge:impossible).

You know they will though.

The Hinkley saga is typical Victorian grandstanding self righteous over reaction to a non Victorian side whereas if its a Victorian side with a coach being aggressive its good theatre and we understand the emotion etc etc.
VFL underpins everything that is AFL. I hope the GF is between two non Vic sides.
About 4-5 years ago, Kane Cornes was getting stuck into the Hawthorn coach, Alastair Clarkson on a weekly basis, calling him a sore loser and a whinger every time Clarkson opened his mouth to express an opinion. Korn also bitched about Clarkson's "cosy relationship" with AFL boss Gill McLachlan (as though Clarko having a morning coffee with Gill once a week was part of some conspiracy to give the Hawks an advantage over their rivals...) 🤣

On and on, Korn went... Like a dog with a bone. Quite tiresome.

Anyway, since the Hawks appointed Sam Mitchell as their coach, Korn has gone 180' the other way... Praising the Hawks for every little thing they do... Labelling Sam Mitchell as a "coaching genius".... Blowing his Kornes smoke up everyone's arses... Telling everyone how he'll get a Nick Watson tattoo when the Hawks win the flag... etc... etc...

You would be forgiven for thinking Korn no longer cares about Port Adelaide and has become a Hawthorn fanatic. His ties to Port would mostly involve his brother Chad working as an assistant to Hinkley.. So it's natural, Korn would defend them to the hilt and back the Port coaches when anyone comes at them

1. the former Hawks in the Vic media who give Kenny shit for acting like a clown after the game.
2. the Port fans who think Kenny should be sacked after 12 years with no Grand Final appearances.

I just shrug...

If it was 2018 or 2019 and Clarkson did exactly what Hinkley did after a game (not that I care), you just know that Kane Korn would be all over the airwaves saying how unprofessional it is for an AFL coach to approach opposition players after a game... how it is incumbent on the elder-statesman AFL coaches to show leadership and act the right way... how the AFL should give him a "please explain" and sanction him.... BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Korn is just as bad (and agenda driven) as everyone else in the media.... Worse in many ways... Because he is a hypocrite who changes his opinions like the wind changes... Always backing the winner... So it appears he has jumped off the Sam Mitchell/Hawthorn bandwagon for now and jumped back on board with Port Adelaide for this year's premiership.

Flog! 🤣

About 4-5 years ago, Kane Cornes was getting stuck into the Hawthorn coach, Alastair Clarkson on a weekly basis, calling him a sore loser and a whinger every time Clarkson opened his mouth to express an opinion. Korn also bitched about Clarkson's "cosy relationship" with AFL boss Gill McLachlan (as though Clarko having a morning coffee with Gill once a week was part of some conspiracy to give the Hawks an advantage over their rivals...) 🤣

On and on, Korn went... Like a dog with a bone. Quite tiresome.

Anyway, since the Hawks appointed Sam Mitchell as their coach, Korn has gone 180' the other way... Praising the Hawks for every little thing they do... Labelling Sam Mitchell as a "coaching genius".... Blowing his Kornes smoke up everyone's arses... Telling everyone how he'll get a Nick Watson tattoo when the Hawks win the flag... etc... etc...

You would be forgiven for thinking Korn no longer cares about Port Adelaide and has become a Hawthorn fanatic. His ties to Port would mostly involve his brother Chad working as an assistant to Hinkley.. So it's natural, Korn would defend them to the hilt and back the Port coaches when anyone comes at them

1. the people in the Vic media who give Kenny shit for acting like a clown after the game.
2. the Port fans who think Kenny should be sacked after 12 years with no Grand Final appearances.

I just shrug... If it was 2018 or 2019 and Clarkson did exactly what Hinkley did after a game (not that I care), you just know that Kane Korn would be all over the airwaves saying how unprofessional it is for an AFL coach to approach opposition players after a game... how it is incumbent on the elder-statesman AFL coaches to show leadership and act the right way... how the AFL should give him a "please explain" and sanction him.... BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Korn is just as bad (and agenda driven) as everyone else in the media.... Worse in many ways... Because he is a hypocrite who changes his opinions like the wind changes... Always backing the winner... So it appears he has jumped off the Sam Mitchell/Hawthorn bandwagon for now and jumped back on board with Port Adelaide for this year's premiership.

(Flog! 🤣)
Jeez .. wrong place to post this here matee ... Very few Cornes lovers reside here!

I’ll be very surprised if we’re able to maintain that level of energy, intensity and emotion next week and beyond if we get there. Everybody at the club, last week were rightly smashed in the media whereas this week will be how courageous they were with so much adversity.
Why? We’ve shown we can do it for multiple weeks previously

Anyone see the interview with Sicily at the airport?

Bloke was literally grinding his teeth, he was seething that hard.

Surely they can't be THAT angry with what happened right?

I'd hope a lot of that anger would come from the fact he missed the shot at goal

He's a bit unhinged, watch him play, check his tribunal record. He's so close to the edge it only takes a breeze to blow him over. And that behaviour is condoned by Mitchell through his tears. Why are people mean to us? We're just having fun. instagram, Snapchat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back