Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

just realised the “biggest” media voices on the Hinkley sledge are all Hawthorn ex-players.

Dunstall, Brereton, Hodge and Lewis.

I wonder if they can actually write a review on the game now?
Can't blame Dunstall like the other flogs. The bloke is very rational even if he comes across as boring.

Watch the video in this Roar link.

"It's all colour Sarah, and I think it's humourous." Then he bags Sicily for nearly dropping Breust while gobbing off at Hinkley as he was chairing him off the ground.

I have watched the first quarter of Friday night's game this arvo and we were so switched on. Will watch the rest soon.

I couldn't help but think, did we put the queue in the rack in the last quarter, or even before 3/4 time last week QF, so that we could concentrate on Friday night's game?

I'm not saying it was a directive from Ken, but did some of the players basically preserve themselves for the SF, knowing the cupboard is pretty bare, and 19 or 20 of the players knew they wouldn't be dropped??

Geez that pathetic Offsiders show spent 20 mins on the post game Ken comment.🤣
And that we only just scraped in over the ‘Baby Hawks.’
Not a mention of the goals Hawks got from dubious frees or that Port had similar age and experience demographic.
Really offended by the loss by the sounds of it.
Ah the VIC media machine, hey.

Anyone see the interview with Sicily at the airport?

Bloke was literally grinding his teeth, he was seething that hard.

Surely they can't be THAT angry with what happened right?

I'd hope a lot of that anger would come from the fact he missed the shot at goal
He did miss the go ahead goal to win the game.

Not a mention of the goals Hawks got from dubious frees or that Port had similar age and experience demographic.
Which is why I want a Geelong loss on Saturday. The self entitled Vics would implode if it's an all non Victorian decider.

If we brought that intensity of tackling to the Geelong game, it would've been a really good game.

Hawthorn were lucky to score a goal in the first half. They were given three free kicks and a 50 metre penalty for their first three goals. Aliir's was ticky touch but it was there. The other two were just great tackles that shows you how much the game has been lost to wokeness. Ginnivan's goal was just too many Hawks around the ball.

After that, it was pretty much Watson keeping them in the game.

The three goals in the third were on Bergman of all people. Another dubious free kick for a high tackle of a ducking Watson. Then burnt on the lead by Watson. Later in the quarter, burnt on the lead by Breust.

Watson had a fantastic crumb in the last quarter with Rozee of all people trying to nab him. IIRC that was Zerk's fault for leaving his man.

Then it was Sicily to the forward line.

What I'm trying to say is that with decent umpiring and a bit of luck, we would've smashed the Hawks.
In the end, they hit the post twice late in the game which for mine, was a tad undeserved, that is, that they had a chance to win the game, not that they missed the goal and won.

Last edited:
Another thing I wanted to address is what Kane said that it was a great win with all of our outs.

And this is true but we do have quite a few young guys on the sidelines itching for a game.

With Hinkley's gold cards and playing veterans over young guys, it's been a tad maddening for the overall development of the team but we do have young guys chomping at the bit and that is why it is tough to see certain older or average or injured players get games over some potential very good players.

I really like Houston and Farrell and their kicking but when you ask Jones and Sinn to come in you get good boots but much better defence and intercepting.

I was pretty happy to see albeit by injury Visentini, Lorenz and Sinn get a game recently. These younger types should've got a sprinkling of games this year but the coaching staff is a bit conservative in this way.

Campbell Brown on Sunrise this morning made the following comments:

1. Hawthorn got favoured by the umpires on Friday night.
2. He loved Hinkley's comments and expected it after Ginnivan mouthed off.

Given he's an ex Hawks player, these comments have made him my favourite footy commentator

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campbell Brown on Sunrise this morning made the following comments:

1. Hawthorn got favoured by the umpires on Friday night.
2. He loved Hinkley's comments and expected it after Ginnivan mouthed off.

Given he's an ex Hawks player, these comments have made him my favourite footy commentator
Campbell Brown probably forged a relationship with Hinkley at the GC Suns, so not surprised that he would be supportive.

Another thing I wanted to address is what Kane said that it was a great win with all of our outs.

And this is true but we do have quite a few young guys on the sidelines itching for a game.

With Hinkley's gold cards and playing veterans over young guys, it's been a tad maddening for the overall development of the team but we do have young guys chomping at the bit and that is why it is tough to see certain older or average or injured players get games over some potential very good players.

I really like Houston and Farrell and their kicking but when you ask Jones and Sinn to come in you get good boots but much better defence and intercepting.

I was pretty happy to see albeit by injury Visentini, Lorenz and Sinn get a game recently. These younger types should've got a sprinkling of games this year but the coaching staff is a bit conservative in this way.
Agree with your comments about the inclusion of young players and what they can bring. The challenge is whether it can be sustained over a few weeks, especially with the roller-coaster highs and lows of emotions during a testing finals series. I'd love to think that the same young half-back flankers will bring the same intensity this week against Sydney, but I doubt it tbh. I think it's up to the older players (Wines, Boak, Drew, DBJ, Aliir, Rozee, Butters, Rioli) to make sure that the standards are still high.

Campbell Brown probably forged a relationship with Hinkley at the GC Suns, so not surprised that he would be supportive.
True. What surprised me most was his comment about Hawthorn getting favoured by the umpires. You don't here too many ex-Vic players making comments like that!!

Cheers mate... I still reckon you guys are under selling him, but hey I love the way in which he just gets on with the job..
I think so too, he’s been a great player up forward, dead eye shot

I have watched the first quarter of Friday night's game this arvo and we were so switched on. Will watch the rest soon.

I couldn't help but think, did we put the queue in the rack in the last quarter, or even before 3/4 time last week QF, so that we could concentrate on Friday night's game?

I'm not saying it was a directive from Ken, but did some of the players basically preserve themselves for the SF, knowing the cupboard is pretty bare, and 19 or 20 of the players knew they wouldn't be dropped??

Well we do have history of not putting teams to the sword when we should. We still lack that ruthlessness that we so want to see at our club.

Have you got a link to this?
Watched the replay last night & thought Jones first half was fantastic. Like to see more of that, not many mistakes and used his pace to great effect. For 4 qtrs, I loved ZTs game & probably think it hasn't been given enough recognition. Luv the way he goes about it, totally focusses on his role.

We still have some weak links who I doubt will improve as they don't have the required skill set and/or pace. I would drop Frankie & bring in McEntee to do a total tagging role on one of the 3 Sydney guns. He shuts one down, thats his total focus. I think he has the mental make-up to do that & did a great job when he played that role previously. Mead needs to take a hard look at himself. So many wasted posessions against the Hawks. He's a Mead, he needs to step up to the standard & give everything. Tackle his a*se off, chase, shephard, just do the hard team stuff to let the more skilled players shine. And no way should we bring Dixon in. If Viscenti is fit he should replace Marshall. He has way more upside than the alternatives & is worth the risk. If he's not fit then Burton plays forward imo. Lord is currently not up to it.

Last edited:
Do yourselves a favour and listen to two very mature young men give great interviews this morning:

JHF on 3AW
Sinn on ABC Grandstand SA.

Both speak extremely well. Would love for Sinn to have a clear run at it from here and establish himself as a really good AFL player. Mead and Drew both came good in their fourth-fifth years. Hopefully he does too.
Mead has a long way to go. He's way off being a consistent asset to the team.

The Vic dream partly over. Suck sh*t.
No, not exactly.
In Victoria they still claim ' Sydney ' and ' Brisbane ' as South Melbourne and Fitzroy, so in actual fact Port are the only genuine outliers. A great proportion of the Vic football public also consider Geelong to be inbred country bumpkins as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back