List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Viney was just on RSN radio and he said we wont be applying for any PPs and we'll be aiming to bringing in a couple more mature-aged recruits.

Awesome.

Brady and Clarko's track record in this space is fantastic at the moment. Clarko has an absolutely abysmal record over the last 7-8 years of mature age recruits to try and accelerate his rebuilds.

He has a terrible eye for mature age recruits at the moment.

Cue another 15 years in the wilderness when we dilute the #1 pick for a 29 year old and then trade out of next years draft.

At this point I'd want any decision like this ratified by the board of the football club. It's to critical and I don't trust either Clarko or Rawlings.

Neither of them should be making a decision of this magnitude themselves.

Both are entering self preservation mode.

So if it all goes **** up, absolutely everyone at the football club is held accountable, including the CEO and Chairman

Last edited:
Todd Viney has known Oli Wines since he was a kid.

If there was any over the hill, 29 year old journeyman in the comp we are going to give a ridiculous final pay day to, it will be him.

Port will piss themselves in the process, we gifted them the capital to get Rozee by taking Polec and Pittard, they white ant JHF and they will sell a cooked Wines (who they have been playing on the wing for 3 years) for overs.

We are to them what Freo were to us in the 90's.

It'd be like someone coming in and offering Simpkin $1m a season at the moment.

Awesome.

Brady and Clarko's track record in this space is fantastic at the moment. Clarko has an absolutely abysmal record over the last 7-8 years of mature age recruits to try and accelerate his rebuilds.

He has a terrible eye for mature age recruits at the moment.

Cue another 15 years in the wilderness when we dilute the #1 pick for a 29 year old and then trade out of next years draft.

At this point I'd want any decision like this ratified by the board of the football club. It's to critical and I don't trust either Clarko or Rawlings.

Neither of them should be making a decision of this magnitude themselves.

Both are entering self preservation mode.

So if it all goes **** up, absolutely everyone at the football club is held accountable, including the CEO and Chairman

It won't be just Clarko and Rawlings! They have Viney, plus experienced coaches in Adcock and Clarke, plus Michael Barlow. Add in Thursfield too. There is alot of experience there covering knowledge of alot of teams/players, so will be a collective decision of what is needed across the board... think I trust them to get it right rather than going to the Board to ask Sonja or Jen!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I’m sure there is a joke somewhere about Wines and shelf life. Happy for 1 or 2 years, but not 5, that’s a laugh.

Does anyone else wonder why Hodgeys opinions and thoughts are highly regarded, to me he comes across as someone who rocks up to his shows and broadcasts 5 minutes before they air and quickly asks everyone else what are we doing today/tonight and makes it up as he goes.
So... a journalist then?

1. Money
2. Hes the exact player we need
3. Clarkson connection
4. Straight in the leadership group, key player in turning it around

His standards alone at training would be worth any $$ we pay him.
Decent logic but it'd be like poaching Glenn Archer in 2002.

Viney strikes as Melbourne heart & soul person. Just can't imagine any offer turning his head if they still value him.

Its not so much the years but the amount of cash we are prepared to give him. l wouldn't be throwing heaps of money at him but would make an offer of a bit more than he's making atm but give him 4 years by then our midfield should be good enough to move on without him.

I think the on-field leadership and off-field day to day standards he would bring is enough to offer him 3 years and a trigger for fourth/coaching role under Clarko.

Its not so much the years but the amount of cash we are prepared to give him. l wouldn't be throwing heaps of money at him but would make an offer of a bit more than he's making atm but give him 4 years by then our midfield should be good enough to move on without him.

We have trouble meeting the salary cap floor as is though

St Kilda yet to put a deal in front of Dougal Howard. In and out of Ross’s side. He is definitely a player of interest for our back 6. 28 key back.. What do we think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have two/three years to absolutely nail our draft picks and not waste any 2nd and 3rd rounders on journeymen. We simply have to stay the course, taking any shortcuts now is going to leave us in an even bigger hole.

If we top up and overpay (like we already have for Stephens and Fisher, amongst a whole host of other duds), then we'll end up in the wilderness for another 5/6 years once the Tassie team diluted drafts come around.

Drafted top end talent and free agency for A grade players is the only way we dig ourselves out of this hole.

It won't be just Clarko and Rawlings! They have Viney, plus experienced coaches in Adcock and Clarke, plus Michael Barlow. Add in Thursfield too. There is alot of experience there covering knowledge of alot of teams/players, so will be a collective decision of what is needed across the board... think I trust them to get it right rather than going to the Board to ask Sonja or Jen!

Adock, Barlow and Clarke should have absolute zero input on this.

This is a serious decision that impacts the future of the football club and moves well beyond the authority of the coach.

$1m x 5 year deals with draft capital attached to it should not be decided by Rawlings or Clarko.

It needs to be ratified by the entire board, so the membership can have accountability to any decision and correct oversight.

Clarko and Rawlings could be gone well before this contract is even half finished.

It's why none of these decisions are made remotely at the level of Scouts or head coaches in American sports. The GM works for the owner and above the sporting department.

In this instance it would have to be the relevant Executive (CEO Jenn Watt, GM-Football Todd Viney) seeking ratification from the 7 sitting board members.

Rawlings is hardly a GM in the real sense in terms of commercial experience. He should be a pitching a proposal to Watt and Viney only.

Given their track record the last few years, there is zero confidence in this current administration and the membership deserves future accountability for any decisions.

The board serves the members of the club.

If they manufacture another Polec/Pittard decision or a ramped up version of Dylan Stephens or CCJ, it could put the future of the football club at risk given our onfield performances for the last 5 years and I don't say that with any hyperbole.

Last edited:
It needs to be ratified by the entire board, so the membership can have accountability to any decision and correct oversight.

Clarko and Rawlings could be gone well before this contract is even half finished.

It's why none of these decisions are made remotely at the level of Scouts or head coaches in American sports. The GM works for the owner and above the sporting department.

In this instance it would have to be the relevant Executive (CEO Jenn Watt, GM-Football Todd Viney seeking rattification from the 7 sitting board members)

Rawlings is hardly a GM in the real sense in terms of commercial experience.

Given their track record the last few years, there is zero confidence in them.

The board serve the members of the club.
Do you think this board has the acumen to overrule Clark or Viney?
This is the issue with the club we've got charity muggers sitting at the top, who's sole goal is to extract as much money from members as possible, footy be damned.

We have two/three years to absolutely nail our draft picks and not waste any 2nd and 3rd rounders on journeymen. We simply have to stay the course, taking any shortcuts now is going to leave us in an even bigger hole.

If we top up and overpay (like we already have for Stephens and Fisher, amongst a whole host of other duds), then we'll end up in the wilderness for another 5/6 years once the Tassie team diluted drafts come around.

Drafted top end talent and free agency for A grade players is the only way we dig ourselves out of this hole.
Exactly.

While we have been bottoming out other teams have been topping up.

Watched part of the last godees game,
new young guys looking good, one a rookie

Do you think this board has the acumen to overrule Clark or Viney?
This is the issue with the club we've got charity muggers sitting at the top, who's sole goal is to extract as much money from members as possible, footy be damned.

It's not about overruling.

It's about correct governance.

It's not their decision to make.

There is absolutely no way either of Rawlings or Clarkson or Viney should have the authority to make that theoretical deal without permission of the board of the football club.

They are not elected officials of the club and it's a deal that impacts on the long term future of the club.

Just like Clarko couldn't go out and authoritse $5m worth of capital expenditure on the change rooms.

Just like Viney or Watt couldn't appoint a head coach without full board approval.

Potentially playing with #1 picks, future first round picks and $1m contracts is the same level of risk and requires the same level of approval and oversight imo.

Especially with their track records, both Clarko and Rawlings have lost their right for autonomy imo. The club is an absolute disgrace at the moment and both are responsible.

Clarko has been there for almost 18 months now and the club is SIGNIFICANTLY worse in almost all departments.

It's not about overruling.

It's about correct governance.

It's not their decision to make.

There is absolutely no way either of Rawlings or Clarkson or Viney should have the authority to make that theoretical deal without permission of the board of the football club.

They are not elected officials of the club and it's a deal that impacts on the long term future of the club.

Just like Clarko couldn't go out and authoritse $5m worth of capital expenditure on the change rooms.

Just like Viney or Watt couldn't appoint a head coach without full board approval.

Potentially playing with #1 picks, future first round picks and $1m contracts is the same level of risk and requires the same level of approval and oversight imo.

Especially with their track records, both Clarko and Rawlings have lost their right for autonomy imo. The club is an absolute disgrace at the moment and both are responsible.

Clarko has been there for almost 18 months now and the club is SIGNIFICANTLY worse in almost all departments.
Yes but the board should have enough experience within the four walls of a football club to understand the repercussions of their decisions. The board should be able to table relevant questions, ask for strategies and key understand those strategies before signing off. There's no way this current lot would be able to make an informed decision.
A board just rubber stamping is just as mental as have no checks and balances in place.
That's what you're effectively asking for.

Yes but the board should have enough experience within the four walls of a football club to understand the repercussions of their decisions. The board should be able to table relevant questions, ask for strategies and key understand those strategies before signing off. There's no way this current lot would be able to make an informed decision.
A board just rubber stamping is just as mental as have no checks and balances in place.

It doesn't matter.

At least if decisions of this matter are decided at that level, the owners of this football club (i.e the members) will have accountability.

Even if it is a bullshit watered down AGM or EGM (which is surely coming soon.....), they have to attend and they to answer questions and criticism from the member body.

I'd argue we should be starting an online petition for an EGM around Round 16 if the results remain unchanged. Questions have to be answered, even if it costs $250,000 to hold it. A "Members Q&A" and a reconstructed constitution to prevent accountability by board challenges doesn't cut it...

We have trouble meeting the salary cap floor as is though
This is the bit I struggle with when I look at the lists of other clubs.

How the hell are we even paying the salary cap floor?

There are clearly some very average footballers earning ridiculous money at our club.

This is the bit I struggle with when I look at the lists of other clubs.

How the hell are we even paying the salary cap floor?

There are clearly some very average footballers earning ridiculous money at our club.

We are front loading a lot of contracts.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back