Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely we get something back this year with this.

Why? It’s already a top 6 pick for Pick 11. This draft isn’t that good at the very top end - Pick 4 next year will easily be a better player than Pick 11 this year.

I want to use Pick 11 this year tbh but I don’t think it’s more valuable than what could be as good as Pick 2 in next year’s draft.

North are probably going to improve but still be bottom 5.

North Bottom 5 pick, , our 2025 first hopefully (16-18) and a future for Chad.
Why? It’s already a top 6 pick for Pick 11. This draft isn’t that good at the very top end - Pick 4 next year will easily be a better player than Pick 11 this year.
North Melbourne are eventually gonna surge up ladder. Could it be next year? Potentially!

Are Richmond going for a 1 superdraft rebuild with all the picks they want and a lot of it is just fantasy what they expect. Bolton I get is worth haggling over but it's not Leon Baker and Cyril Rioli, it's Liam Baker and Dan Rioli that they're trading.

It didn't really work for Gold Coast and GWS in their start up lists which were filled with much more top end talent. Pulling players all from one draft and have them all fit together and all mature together, even if they all stay, it'll take at least 4 years and by that time Hopper and Taranto will be in their 30's and not much else other than Balta and Gibcus (if he ever gets over injuries) and a couple of others they've drafted recently. All the players like Vlaustin, Lynch, Nankervis, Prestia, Short will need replacing by then. They're going to have a very young squad for a while.
Well done on working Leon Baker in. Legend

Channel 9 reported that Fremantle are considering trading 11 for North Melbourne's F1.

Interesting. So, North will have Pick 11 for Houston; Collingwood will have pick 13 and Carlton will have Pick 14.

Which lucky bachelorette will receive a Houston sized flower to move onto next week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we trade 11 to next year then it gets used for Chad, whats the point

Anyway, I'm sure they left out the part where it only happens if Bolton falls through, which it won't

I get it but would be nice not having Sydney pressuring Chad to move to West Coast. We have a top 5 pick and our own pick 18 and the wheels get greased easier

Let's not got ahead our of ourselves, I doubt anything comes of it but it is interesting to see what offers we are getting for pick 11. No rebuilding side should ever trade their F1.

I've said enough on trading 11 into next year but I'm just going to assume it's all part of the game to let Richmond know there is not a chance in hell we give up 11. Wallsy specifically said we would do it if Bolton fell through.

I think you should have a long hard think about why this may be the case. After you've figured that out you should look up what a score launch is to see how damaging Houston is.

View attachment 2138550
Of note (not the thing you should have a think about) is that if you subtract each behind from their total score involvements you get Houston 104 and Bolton 95

Not sure why you are subtracting their behinds. Bizarre twisting of stats. And you are using Bolton's 2024 numbers which are not relevant to the expectations playing for Freo. Refer to the 2022 and 2023 numbers, which is what I was using.

I don't need to think long and hard, nor figure anything out. I know what a score launch is. And I know fully well that mid/forwards have more score involvements. This is a stat I am referring to because it has a very high correlation with the most valuable players in the competition.

I was not even talking about score launches. It is a stat skewed towards rucks mostly. For what it is worth, Bolton got 32 in 2022, which is on par with Heeney this year and is impressive for someone who played forward half the time.

The facts are indisputable that high quality mid/forwards are more valuable than rebounding defenders. Do you think we are better off playing Young as a midfielder or defender? Houston is a damaging player. Not disagreeing with that. Deserved AA x 2. But there are different levels of damaging. Unless he moves permanently into the midfield (where his score launches will drop and score involvements could go up), he won't be in the same bracket as the best offensive mid/forward players, of which Bolton was in the top 10 in the competition over the 2022-2023 seasons.

Not sure why you are subtracting their behinds. Bizarre twisting of stats.
I am subtracting behinds they kicked because each of these would have been included in their total score involvements. I am doing so because getting a score involvement stat for kicking a behind should not be seen as a positive thing.

I'd argue they don't do this already because it would complicate their explanation of what a score involvement is. To not subtract them seems to me a bizarre twisting of stats.

Also, do you have the correlation numbers between score involvements and the most valuable players in the competition? That would be interesting to see (even if they don't subtract behinds).

Also, what metric are you using to rank the players in value? Eg salary or afl player ratings or b&f finishes.

Last edited:
tbh, if i were barass. north melboune would be tempting. young star studded midfield. larkey, zurharr ahead of the ball.
Much better strip.

Old mate Darling to remind you why you left West Coast.

Clarko the OG little Hawthorn mutant campaigner of a bloke.

Sorry to intrude guys (let me know if you want me to leave) but this Barass thing has made the trade period interesting.

How do you guys feel about Bolton and Baker for 10,11,18?

I think it suits both of us tbh, I think you can give the flag a real shake with both of them and I don’t think you really need the picks right now anyway.

Sorry to intrude guys (let me know if you want me to leave) but this Barass thing has made the trade period interesting.

I think it suits both of us tbh, I think you can give the flag a real shake with both of them and I don’t think you really need the picks right now anyway.
its a no from me dawg GIF

Both Bolton and Baker are overvalued in that trade. Bolton for 11 and 18, maybe 10 and 18, and Baker to WC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back