Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude guys (let me know if you want me to leave) but this Barass thing has made the trade period interesting.

How do you guys feel about Bolton and Baker for 10,11,18?

I think it suits both of us tbh, I think you can give the flag a real shake with both of them and I don’t think you really need the picks right now anyway.
Don't apologise for commenting on a club forum. Nuffie comments get mocked and mod special powers probably come into effect when you're wilding out on another club's forum. This is neither. Cool name btw.

I think most fans including myself would find that a bit unpalatable. Most Freo fans see 10 and 18 as far closer (if not bang on) Bolton's value than 10 and 11, and I think most Freo fans would see 18 as about right for Baker, if not slight overs. 10, 11 and a 2nd or 10, 11 and 18 with a pick coming back might be more palatable. Those 3 with nothing coming back imo aren't like what Gold Coast seem to be getting you for Rioli level, but I'd probably see it as a bit high.

Other reasons people might not like the move which I'm not as strong on personally:
  • Don't rate Baker and/or don't see the obvious role for him (I think he's great, and big picture I like his versatility more than I hold it against him)
  • He chose West Coast, so on principle we should say no (it's a business, I don't hold that grudge as long as he plays like we are his first choice)
  • Salary cap/draft capital concerns particularly re it interfering with a Chad chase (if Freo were as keen on the Bolton + Baker duo as reported while also having put so much work into Chad, I'm gonna assume some fans overestimate those concerns. But we don't have access to those numbers)
  • Missing out on another draft's top end may leave a semi-generation gap in the team (it's worth talking about, but I look at 2022 and 2023 where we had crap picks in average to terrible drafts depth rise, and I think we did well. We can do better in a deeper draft)
The above is probably moot coz often when teams play the games Hawthorn do, the moves still happen the way they're expected, and if not I think another team getting Barrass is more likely than Barrass returning to West Coast anyways. So West Coast get Baker. In either event, seeing the reporting of Freo looking at trading for North's F1 with pick 11, I'd like to see that happen if (and pretty much only if) you guys value the North F1 as a top 3-5 pick in a trade rather than assuming logic on North's behalf. That piece should be huge in a Bolton or Bolton + Baker trade.

Either ways, it's good propaganda for us to put out there and say to Richmond "this is why 10 + 11 for Bolton is overs".

Sorry to intrude guys (let me know if you want me to leave) but this Barass thing has made the trade period interesting.

I think it suits both of us tbh, I think you can give the flag a real shake with both of them and I don’t think you really need the picks right now anyway.
Sorry but uncontracted Baker isn't worth a first. Most I'd give is 10, 11 and 30. Even then I'd be upset giving 11.

If Carlton are attempting 12 and 14 for Eagles pick 3, I don’t see how we’re far off with 10 and 18 for 3.

Sure, Eagles shouldn’t do that BUT they’re not getting much better are they?

They have pick 10 instead of 12. Give 18 instead of 12.

Am I miles off?

We then simply hand over 3 for Bolton and possibly get a pick back just because.

Why don’t west coast just use 24 on baker?
Throw in an F3 if they want to make it a bit more palatable.
He’s OOC - seems pretty damn obvious move to me

Why don’t west coast just use 24 on baker?
Throw in an F3 if they want to make it a bit more palatable.
He’s OOC - seems pretty damn obvious move to me
Just how it is. Anyone leaving Victoria is worth a fortune and anyone leaving to head back to Victoria has lower value.

Imagine if we were trading Baker to Richmond in these exact same circumstances and asking for pick 10 or 11 or 14. Everyone would laugh at us.

Well, at least you are polite, unlike most of the other Richmond supporters who show up here.

Baker has nominated WC so it's difficult to see him backing down from that. Freo will also be very wary of taking on a player who is luke warm about our club. And Baker is not worth 18. Baker is a solid player but no game changer, so he's not really a need for us.

Baker Bolton and 20

If Carlton are attempting 12 and 14 for Eagles pick 3, I don’t see how we’re far off with 10 and 18 for 3.

Am I miles off?

We then simply hand over 3 for Bolton and possibly get a pick back just because.
The problem is the teams looking to trading down (North, West Coast) want previous year's rates coz they know at those rates it's worth it. And they're finding out the responses are "Do you think we're dumb?" In past years, North and even West Coast could look at 10 + 11 for their pick and think "We want a bit more and we don't want to slide quite that far." This year that deal looks incredible for the same reasons it's unrealistic.

Am I miles off?

Personally I think Carlton are miles off with 10 and 12. They’ll try and I’m not sure they’ll be that fussed if they fall short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, he’s also said Melbourne have offered their F1 for our pick 11 as well, given North want it to get Houston I’d almost rate the Dees future fist as more valuable. North have to start climbing soon.

Melbourne are in turmoil. Could be a brilliant deathride. I did hear him mentioned the Dees.

At the end of the day as long as we get Warner I'd be happy.

Am I miles off?

Yeah but Carlton are nowhere near it with 12 and 14. I think you'd need a top 10, there's always a rule about how far you drop and 12 is too far. Think someone needs to con Saints out of one of their picks somehow.

But you guys so obviously do haha, Freo keeping the picks or getting players is a win win for them.

Not so much for Richmond, keeping the players means a repeat of this year... you need the picks otherwise you'll be the next West Coast.

Geezuz Christ!!! Now we are giving up 3x R1 for Bolton and Baker 🤮 FMD we are ****ing useless.

Rich know what they are doing. They are dealing with the two worst trading sides in the comp. They are going to get 5x 1st round picks out of 3x medium players.

The lack of success drives Freo and GC teams to do desperate, bizzare things at the trade table.
Fixed

But you guys so obviously do haha, Freo keeping the picks or getting players is a win win for them.

Not so much for Richmond, keeping the players means a repeat of this year... you need the picks otherwise you'll be the next West Coast.

Yup I’ve got my microwave ready to go in case they stay.

But the question really is how badly you guys want to have a crack at your maiden flag. Only Freo knows that, which will dictate the trade.

Your current group of players can’t seem to get it done imo. Bolton could be the difference maker like J Cameron for Geelong. I honestly don’t see how picks help you, by the time the draftees get into their prime Serong will be retiring. But that’s just my opinion.

Yeah but Carlton are nowhere near it with 12 and 14. I think you'd need a top 10, there's always a rule about how far you you drop and 12 is too far. Think someone needs to con Saints out of one of their picks somehow.

Fair.
This isn’t about ‘value’ it’s about completing deals. Ordinarily 3 for 12 and 14 or 3 for 10 and 18 aren’t great. I doubt it eventuates. But if they need to get Baker and 26 isn’t accepted? Well we’re in play for 3 as good as anyone.

Just spitballing. I’m near certain not a single soul had Hawks giving up 14 for Carlton’s F1 and F2 on their bingo card.

There will be method to this madness. It will all come out in the wash, but that first domino was very interesting.

Richmond dealing for 20 also opens an opportunity. 10 and 11 for Bolton and 20.

Just for the sake of drama I’d love it myself if Freo just dealt pick 11 away.

The reason we offered 11 for Baker was so WC gave up 14. We were doing you a solid while knowing they wanted to pay 23. His price has dropped now, blame the Hawks.

I still like him but think we need a late first minimum this draft for future trading and salary paid. I’m thinking it won’t quite work out.

I think we can grab Sydney's first next year and this year, for one of ten or eleven.
Then if we do a gentleman’s arrangement with these as part of the arrangement for Warner ….does that mean Sydney would be death riding their own picks? :think:

For those of you who want Baker ask yourself this, if your slightly above average partner cheated on you would you take them back knowing there is a hottie or two waiting for you this year and maybe next year if you play it cool.

A bush in the hand is worth a future bird.

I’d happily take Baker IF & only IF WC withdraw….I like the arrangement where we do not cut across each other.

10, 11 & 18 - if we were getting 20 or 23 ….I’d do

If Bolton and Baker coming in push out a Banfield and JOM for best 22 ….plus depth wise guys like Emmett and Tabs got games this year ….bring on the competition.

My hope is WC bomb and we compete like a mo fo ….Warner/Kosi types hopefully want the competitive team.

Yuck.

A GWS pick merry-go-around is looking good again.

Out: 11 30
In: 15 21

Man what a hand that would be 10 15 18 and 21. Do GWS do that, they love going up drafts?
Yup I’ve got my microwave ready to go in case they stay.

But the question really is how badly you guys want to have a crack at your maiden flag. Only Freo knows that, which will dictate the trade.

Your current group of players can’t seem to get it done imo. Bolton could be the difference maker like J Cameron for Geelong. I honestly don’t see how picks help you, by the time the draftees get into their prime Serong will be retiring. But that’s just my opinion.
There has to be a price tipping point though. Freo have tabled two first round picks. That is a very good offer.

If Richmond say no then they might get a guy who plays out of his skin and helps get you 8-10 wins or you might get a high paid guy who is checked out. Surely neither of those is a bigger win than 10 and 18.

On the flipside Freo can hit the draft, save up some cap space and go shopping for capital for next year.

Could Bolton add to us next year, sure he could that is why we have two firsts on the table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back