Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not against trading it for next year to get the picks for Chad.
No, as has been proven once again, it matters diddly squat what Sydney want. We need to convince Chad to pick us, that's all

Looks like a good deal for Port, an okay deal for Collingwood and a bad deal for GC but what’s new. Have GC even won a single trade in their history?
It's extremely hard to say this is a bad deal for GC when we've no idea whether they'll have picks 5 and 8 or 15 and 18 next year.
Compared to some stupid things they've done before I think this is quite reasonable.
To me Collingwood carry the biggest risk here going all in on one player.

He's from Tassie, so might have ambitions to get in with the Devils by getting back into the AFL system as an ass. coach.
As a what?

Trade pick 11 to GC for those 2025 first round picks ;)
Yep. Live trade to GC on draft night for Port F1 + Pies F1 after the Lombard bid; or
Live trade to Essendon on draft night for Demons F1 + Bombers F1 after the Kako bid; or
Trade to Hawthorn/WC for Hawks F1 + Blues F1; or
Any combination of 2024 F1 + 2025 F1

Ready to trade in Warner and/or Pickett in 2025.

The hilarious part isn't the trade down itself, it's what they're getting from it as a rebuilding team. You can make the argument you've just made: that trading down is not a bad idea especially if a lot of the top kids indicated they'd leave WA.

But if that's the case, you get multiple bites at the cherry with mid first rounders. And your express intent is maximising young talent. Bo Allan is likely the only WA kid in the top 20, but you ain't selling me on him being the only kid in the entire top 20 willing to play West.

The motives already advertised make this argument rather weak. They split the pick with the express purpose of satisfying Richmond for an out-of-contract Baker. Or rather, satisfying Baker's demands that West Coast pay his old club a ransom. And if that's not enough, after over the weekend the news came out that Carlton's pick swap was rejected, turns out 27 year old Matt ****ing Owies is a turning point for the deal. So much so that West Coast are the team GIVING the steak knife picks. I would've bet money that they'd be receiving them last night.

You can argue that Carlton haven't won this 3-club trade by parting with a lot to get pick 3. But I know for damn sure West Coast lost it. Could've got 1 elite young talent or 2 very good ones, and instead have pick 12 and 2 27 year olds who don't exactly look like the types whose games will age gracefully.
Yep the failure is in the total waste of p3 as an asset.

The should’ve been getting baker AND two picks in the teens for that trade *.

(*Eg +f2 or sliding back of their current 2nd rounder on top most likely)

It’s nothing short of diabolical use of a trade asset and if freo did this sort of trade I’d legit give up on AFL footy

Last edited:
I'm not against trading it for next year to get the picks for Chad.
Chad would first have to confidentially provide some hints he will be coming home to us at the end of 2025 though, otherwise it ends up like Logan McDonald where we were saving picks for him (which luckily we didnt use) and then he just re signed with Sydney. If we get extra 2025 picks this year and Kozi and Chad say no we have traded out of the supposed "super draft" when we could have got a better player this year.

Port make out like bandits.

Do they? There's so many parts that it is hard to work out completely, but it appears the rough breakdown is 13+29 for Houston (which is unders considering a far inferior Liam Baker got pick 14), and then spent their 2025 1st on 3 mediocre players. I guess it depends on how you rate Lukosius.

Looks like Pies and GC have the better end of this deal to me. Can see why Port were the ones knocking it back initially (not sure if it has changed since then).

Pies lose two fringe players and change and get a gun Houston. But Pies really going for the now and not worrying about the future.

GC swap two average players (Noble/Atkins), with Noble a bit better. And then it is basically Lukosius for an expected mid/late first, which they would be happy with considering how underwhelming he has been.

Severe lack of trade news...

Rage GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they? There's so many parts that it is hard to work out completely, but it appears the rough breakdown is 13+29 for Houston (which is unders considering a far inferior Liam Baker got pick 14), and then spent their 2025 1st on 3 mediocre players. I guess it depends on how you rate Lukosius.

Looks like Pies and GC have the better end of this deal to me. Can see why Port were the ones knocking it back initially (not sure if it has changed since then).

Pies lose two fringe players and change and get a gun Houston. But Pies really going for the now and not worrying about the future.

GC swap two average players (Noble/Atkins), with Noble a bit better. And then it is basically Lukosius for an expected mid/late first, which they would be happy with considering how underwhelming he has been.

I don't mind Lukosius and think he could be a very good player BUT, the Suns wanted him off the books badly and had dropped him to end the season. This was almost a salary dump from them, no idea why Port paid so much.

I don't mind Lukosius and think he could be a very good player BUT, the Suns wanted him off the books badly and had dropped him to end the season. This was almost a salary dump from them, no idea why Port paid so much.

He’s the new Jack Watts imo

Last year looked like he was going to become a dominant CHF, really dropped off badly this year.

That’s a good deal for Gold Coast.
They get a first round draft pick in Lombard, Noble, they’ll end up with Rioli and they have 3 firsts for next year now.
On the surfaces yes but once again GC can come out of the entire period looking like they’ve done “ok” because in reality look what they’ve had/able to give up!

Pretty easy to get what you want /look good outcome wise when you ve got endless amounts of first rounders to piss away every year

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back