List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

If we scrape the dregs off our dignity enough Laura Kane might throw us a freebie.
You Know It GIF by MOODMAN

I think clubs that missed out on NGA selections due to the rule changes should absolutely get some draft compensation.

I know that’s not fair, but **** it. What happened to us with Cam McKenzie and Melbourne with Mac Andrew isn’t fair. Why shouldn’t we be on the winning side for once.

What's Devon Robertson worth and would it be worth trying to lure him to the Saints. Don't think he gets a game next year at Brisbane.

Think he goes this year to West Coast, where mid time will be available. He wanted to stay and fight for his spot which is admirable, but the Lions midfield is just outrageously strong and there's another Ashcroft coming, so I don't see how he fits in.

Notwithstanding the fact they haven't really achieved anything yet, I don't know what is meant by "using every pick to try and be the next Hawthorn". The Hawks had two top 10 picks out there on the weekend - one of whom is a first year player (Watson) and the other is Mackenzie who just came back from a VFL stint. Their two top 10 picks before that were Josh Ward and Grainger-Barrass who both look like busts, and prior to that they gave up a couple of first rounders in pursuit of O'Meara and Mitchell.

Their team from the weekend looks like:

B: UFA, trade, Pick 56
HB: Pick 44, trade, Pick 18
C: Pick 45, Pick 67, Pick 74
HF: trade, Pick 13, Pick 56
F: trade, trade, trade
R: trade, MSD, Pick 5 (Watson)
Int: trade, SSP, Pick 7 (Mackenzie), Pick 26
Sub: rookie

They have done very well on talent ID to bring in players on the cheap (Meek, Chol, Ginnivan, D'Ambrosio, Impey, Scrimshaw). Amon's their first and only free agent since Ty Vickery. And they clearly understand what they lack with their pointed targeting of Barrass and Battle. Sicily, Hardwick, Worpel, Moore all as picks >40 is great drafting. Day at 13 and Weddle at 18 too. But they are far from reliant on any top 10 picks whatsoever.

A fun story about the current flag favourites who you admit are "miles ahead". In 2016, wooden spooners Brisbane coughed up pick 12 for Charlie Cameron. The next year they paid 6 and 19 for Neale, despite winning 5 games and finishing 15th on the ladder. They've finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 6th and 2nd in the years since, Neale has won 2 Brownlows and Cameron kicked 50+ goals four times. Those picks were used on Bing, Darcy Fogarty and Xavier O'Halloran. Do you honestly reckon they should've hit the draft instead?

The Hawks have identified undervalued talent from other clubs and they also have the best coach in the comp (in my opinion). Essendon basically gave away D'Ambrosio and the Hawks having him in borderline AA squad form.

This is why the rebuild has accelerated faster than anyone expected despite first round talent not jumping off the page when you look at the list.

I think clubs that missed out on NGA selections due to the rule changes should absolutely get some draft compensation.

I know that’s not fair, but **** it. What happened to us with Cam McKenzie and Melbourne with Mac Andrew isn’t fair. Why shouldn’t we be on the winning side for once.

I'm happier with the outcome we had.
If we'd got McKenzie we wouldn't have got Pou.

Collingwood won a flag with Frampton as the FB, Himmelberg might be the cheap replacement for Doogs if he is off loaded.
this is my thing about Battle. whilst I love the bloke, if Lobb, Frampton and Jones can become key pillars in defence, than anyone can be trained to do it

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have tried to move our pick fwd and got both.

The point is we lost the opportunity, like always.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We'd have probably traded our first for Shiel or something stupid, then used the picks we used on Keeler, Van Es etc ( not that they are playing AFL ), for McKenzie.

For all the talk about how the club has been floating the idea of trading Howard for 12 months the only proof of this are the vaguest possible "what ifs" by various media organizations all quoting each other but none of them substantiating any specific club, value or trade possibilities.

Howard may indeed be thinking of leaving for a higher placed club or for more money but so far not a single thing spoken by the club or Howard nor the actions of the club have indicated anything like this. Considering he is the no1 key defender and the difficulties of finding other decent ones (the reason why we picked up Cordy whose adequate at best it does not make sense from a list perspective.
But Howard "feels gettable" to two nerds who need to fill up minutes on the afl app.

The Hawks have identified undervalued talent from other clubs and they also have the best coach in the comp (in my opinion). Essendon basically gave away D'Ambrosio and the Hawks having him in borderline AA squad form.
Let's not pretend that Ross doesn't have a history of making genuine D graders into b+ role players.

I think we'll see significant churn in our older brigade and our young core will be given the keys. Have some bumps early next season as they learn and adjust and then we'll have a big bounce and come next off season we'll be a destination club for FA.

Collingwood won a flag with Frampton as the FB, Himmelberg might be the cheap replacement for Doogs if he is off loaded.

He actually played at FF in the grand final and hardly touched it, was basically put there to try and slow Andrews influence.

Wilkie is going to be busy next year if we lose both Howard and Battle....I cant see how we can possibly fill those holes, but Himmelberg is not the answer.

Kind of what I said
Yeah but I was thinking that 2 years on minimum (which is what you'd be paying Himmelberg) is not gonna affect the compo we'd get for Battle if he earns us Band 1 compo.

Use the late draft pick in the hope of snagging another Garcia or Schoenmaker

Last edited:

This is why the rebuild has accelerated faster than anyone expected despite first round talent not jumping off the page when you look at the list.
They are a smart club, with a smart coach and we are a very long way behind them right now.

Yeah but I was thinking that 2 years on minimum (which is what you'd be paying Himmelberg) is not gonna affect the compo we'd get for Battle if he earns us Band 1 compo.

The use the the late draft pick in the hope of snagging another Garcia or Schoenmaker
That's EXACTLY the loophole the AFL would use to screw us out of Teir 1.

They are a smart club, with a smart coach and we are a very long way behind them right now.
I don't think so. We bounced like them last year on the back of improved youth. Clubs will work them out and slow them down and they will have to try and deal with that.

There is a big difference between being genuinely good and being good because people took you lightly and you jumped them.

Hawks are more the latter IMO

I don't think so. We bounced like them last year on the back of improved youth. Clubs will work them out and slow them down and they will have to try and deal with that.

There is a big difference between being genuinely good and being good because people took you lightly and you jumped them.

Hawks are more the latter IMO

Think you're undervaluing Mitchell's influence and potential as a Coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back