List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing what you are doing is the complete opposite to maintaining our cap space.

It is horrible to overpay some B or C grade player just to bring them in. You are then stuck with them.

Atleast taking a Macrae or a Shiel is a timed hit that we get out of in 12-24 months time.

Battle King etc will all be factored into what we are doing. They aren’t the issue.
Peatling will be better than a B Grade player IMO. Out of contract and is tracking upward unlike Shiel and Macrae who are in their twilight years. I'm not saying to pay Peatling what we would be forking out for Macrae either. Overpaying Peatling next year may only be a $450k investment...but it is an investment not a timed payout.

I don't really care how Max King looks when he plays, as long as he kicks 60 goals a year. And I reckon he's got that in him.

PICTURE.png

never said he couldn't, but let's actually have some reality in the conversation.

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

So talk of trading Jack Steele or Dougal Howard are reality? King shows no leadership and when things dont go his way his sooks it up like a petulant child. If the club havent had the same discussions about King they are not being realistic. So the reality is until the trade period is done King should and will be discussed, by individuals who believe the club would be much better off with moving him on.

When he wins us a flag I will change my opinion of him, but Im pretty confident that wont occur!

You disagree Gubby thats fine, just ignore the conversations.

Peatling will be better than a B Grade player IMO. Out of contract and is tracking upward unlike Shiel and Macrae who are in their twilight years. I'm not saying to pay Peatling what we would be forking out for Macrae either. Overpaying Peatling next year may only be a $450k investment...but it is an investment not a timed payout.
I think we would all rather add a young promising player like Peatling than a past his best 30+ vet (especially one with a fragile body).

The issue is obviously the cost in terms of draft picks to get that young player in.

Do we pull the trigger if the price is a future 2nd?

Battle would be mad not to go to Hawthorn to be honest, and I think it's highly likely he will. Their form is irresistible, that group will win a Flag. And having said this, as long as we get band 1 compo, we're also winning from the deal. It's a good situation to be in.

He played yesterday like he wants us to know what he does. I have a feeling we see pushing him out as an opportunity and he'd prefer to stay. We want to
I’m the opposite. I would much rather over pay Peatling than Macrae. Or Phillipou than Shiel.

And if no youth wants to come to Moorabin front end a Battle, King, Marshall, Wilkie or Steele. Make someone a Saint for life, and lug the war chest over to next year.

But don’t burn the money just for the sake of it.

Is Peatling leaving though? I’d rather Callaghan takes the money but he might not want to come

Runs of goals.

: King 2.1.2.1.3.1---2,1,5,1---1,2,2,2,3,1,6,4,2,2---1,4,4,4,3,1,2,2,2,6,3,2,1--- 3,2,2,2,2,1 ---4,4,3,2---2,6,3,3--- 3,2,2,3
: Sharman 2,2,2,4 --- 1,1,1 --- 1,3,1,2 --- 1,2,2,2,3
:Caminiti 2,1,2,2,2---1,1,1,1,2 ---2,1,2,1,1,2 --- 3,1,1

I think we would all rather add a young promising player like Peatling than a past his best 30+ vet (especially one with a fragile body).

The issue is obviously the cost in terms of draft picks to get that young player in.

Future second is the most i'd want to spend on a trade this year. I wouldn't even want to cough up our 3rd 2024 pick.

Doing what you are doing is the complete opposite to maintaining our cap space.

It is horrible to overpay some B or C grade player just to bring them in. You are then stuck with them.

Atleast taking a Macrae or a Shiel is a timed hit that we get out of in 12-24 months time.

Battle King etc will all be factored into what we are doing. They aren’t the issue.

Depends on how good our drafting is. Buying up GOPs with years left is a negative…….Unless we **** up picks. We should have a lot of young mids soon and won’t be able to play them all.

Someone please tell me rumours about SOS stepping aside are false. I understand he may have more important things going on but its the last bit of luck we need right now..

King shows no leadership and when things dont go his way his sooks it up like a petulant child.
I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately and it was interesting to see BT point it out on comms yesterday after Dow's goal.

I've actually come to the point where I don't think King is petulant or sooky, our whole team just doesn't seem to be having any fun or getting around each other at all. This isn't a new thing either - Higgins kicked an absolute cracker against Port back in 2021 to open scoring and no-one went to him or got around him and it's stuck in my mind ever since.

King - for whatever reason - is the one who cops it from fans for this. But it isn't a King issue.

I don't know if it's something that we read into too much but I can't recall seeing any team in the comp care so little about celebrating with their team mates? There just seems to be so little energy and celebration when things go our way. It is actually kinda deflating as a fan so I have to imagine it's having some sort of impact on the field. All the best teams of the last decade seemed to have a real joie de vivre about them as we are just flat as a tack out there.

Is Peatling leaving though? I’d rather Callaghan takes the money but he might not want to come
No idea about Peatling, I just read that his contract is up at the end of this year. Has he signed a new one yet? If not then surely he's considering his options. Callaghan signed until the end of 2025.

I think Peatling fits our list profile perfectly, and every time we plug a hole it gives us more flexibility at the draft.

In the same way that if we had of acquired Lohman last year, then we may not have had to roll the dice on Collard and could have taken a Charlie Edwards or Harry DeMattia type at the draft.

I would trade a future 2nd for Peatling.

Depends how much salary we take on. If its all of it then probably an early 3rd at most. If Dogs pay like 250k/year then probably a mid-2nd
IMO that would be putrid in this draft. 30 and looks close to cooked. With his ball winning abilities VFLis easy pickings. Seniors is another thing. By a second season he’s probably nearing liability status.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO that would be putrid in this draft. 30 and looks close to cooked. With his ball winning abilities VFLis easy pickings. Seniors is another thing. By a second season he’s probably nearing liability status.
We should look at ageing footballers through the prism of Ross Ball...because it's all about the grind, and if your body isn't up to it the end will loom very, very quickly.

I see a lot of people arguing to take a sledgehammer to the foundations of our list before Tassie comes in. First of all, I highly doubt the AFL replicates the draft concessions that were given to the Suns and Giants.

Based on previous discussions on the topic, I believe the AFL understands those concessions didn't work. I heard that they might spread the concessions over multiple years to not impact other clubs' access to the top 10 of the draft. I guess we will wait and see on that.

I am sure Tassie will trade plenty of those early picks for established talent, because the AFL doesn't want them being uncompetitive early doors. Who knows whether trading those picks impact us negatively in the future.

Regardless, there's no reason to trade everyone with value right now to be reactive to a future that might not happen. I am confident the internal progression of our young talent, partnered with sensible trade acquisitions will be enough if we do it right.

Of course many are skeptical, but imagine if Windy, Owens, Pou, Garcia, Hastie, Henry, King, Keeler etc keep getting 15% better each year, plus young talent we are yet to draft. Things can change very quickly, but this offseason will be key to us flushing out some of the players from past administrations who have no future.

I see a lot of people arguing to take a sledgehammer to the foundations of our list before Tassie comes in. First of all, I highly doubt the AFL replicates the draft concessions that were given to the Suns and Giants.

Based on previous discussions on the topic, I believe the AFL understands those concessions didn't work. I heard that they might spread the concessions over multiple years to not impact other clubs' access to the top 10 of the draft. I guess we will wait and see on that.

I am sure Tassie will trade plenty of those early picks for established talent, because the AFL doesn't want them being uncompetitive early doors. Who knows whether trading those picks impact us negatively in the future.

Regardless, there's no reason to trade everyone with value right now to be reactive to a future that might not happen. I am confident the internal progression of our young talent, partnered with sensible trade acquisitions will be enough if we do it right.

Of course many are skeptical, but imagine if Windy, Owens, Pou, Garcia, Hastie, Henry, King, Keeler etc keep getting 15% better each year, plus young talent we are yet to draft. Things can change very quickly, but this offseason will be key to us flushing out some of the players from past administrations who have no future.
A great post there Broski.

On SEN they were saying clubs are paying up more to not be stuck in the deficit hole when they do arrive. Most clubs are trying to sure up depth and talent now, not culling it. Not sure SOS has ever been in charge of a list build that wasn't bottom up. If his cut backs are too hard we will be absolute rock bottom just as Tassie hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back