List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm such a fence sitter re: Houston.

On the one hand, this is our best chance to get a couple of young mids in.

On the other, Houston is good. Really good. Are we really in a position to turn down A grade, double All Australian talent? Yes, we are stacked on the half back line but maybe with 3 bonafide stars that can be a point of difference for us.

I'm starting to think we've gotten word that no key position players will be taken before 7 & 8, so we will get whatever is left on the table in terms of the best mids available, 8 would most likely be a Trainor or Armstrong.

I can see why we'd rather get in such a talent as Houston.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm such a fence sitter re: Houston.

On the one hand, this is our best chance to get a couple of young mids in.

On the other, Houston is good. Really good. Are we really in a position to turn down A grade, double All Australian talent? Yes, we are stacked on the half back line but maybe with 3 bonafide stars that can be a point of difference for us.

I'm starting to think we've gotten word that no key position players will be taken before 7 & 8, so we will get whatever is left on the table in terms of the best mids available, 8 would most likely be a Trainor or Armstrong.

I can see why we'd rather get in such a talent as Houston.

Isn’t there huge talk from Twomey that Armstrong is now a top 5 chance (key forward) and you still have Trainor in the mix.

All clubs are getting spooked by the AFL & there intentions to bring in Tasmania, it means no high end draft picks for 2 years & any out of contract players will be tempted by the $$$$$.

During the previous team setups some teams got way overs for their players.
Hawks got an end of first round pick for Campbell Brown , which they traded for David Hale.
Gold Coast got three seasons out of Brown, Hawks got 5 out of Hale. They could have drafted Luke Parker.

After the Suns debacle they absolutely threw draft picks at GWS in the expectation that their players would be poached away from them.
They were but it really messed up the equalisation that would have otherwise been in the draft.

Three of the early GWS picks from 2011 are still there. ( Greene, Haynes , Coniglio ).
2 moved only later in their career , so gave GWS a pretty good run ( Patton, Tomlinson )
2 went to Collingwood.
1 went to Melbourne
1 spud went to Carlton.

Congratulations on your Premiership Eddie.

But there’s interest and there’s ‘interest’. Clubs would speak to dozens of players (or their managers) every year, but that doesn’t mean they are going after all of them. The media will blow up every meeting, conversation or casual chat as though it’s a done deal.
I’ve still believe the draft is our primary focus. However, you have to be aware of every possibility. You don’t want to ignore Cerra and in five years have him say he would love to have played with the Saints but we never called.
As for Howard, he’s still worth more to us than what we would get in a trade. Ross might not love him but he picks him every week. The money that’s been given for McKay, Battle and Barrass show that key defenders aren’t easy to find. It’s why I would have minded getting Trainor prior to yeasterdays news.

If you buy a car you can be crazy like the guy in the Toyota Towball ad . ( he'll get a really crappy deal on that Hilux ).
Or you can go and kick the tires at several different places.
Its not unusual to walk out of a car dealer after politely thanking the salesman thinking " never going to get one of those ever ".

If the AFL media was covering it, headline would be "SaintsSeptember interested in Sangyong ".

Oh absolutely, I'm just trying to rationale why'd we want to trade out pick 8.

Maybe they’re coming at it from a different point of view. Most free agents head to teams playing finals these days . We know what we’re getting with Houston . Get a gun free agent in on the back of that next year and the total of those two end up higher than a kid at pick 8 . Who knows .

That Mac Andrew deal is absolutely horrendous, calling it now. Gold Coast have by far the worst list managers in the comp.
It's the new world. Salaries are getting inflated. The old 800k is now 1.2m. The old 4 year deal is now 6 years.

Which is why battle on 800-900k ain't that bad.

We know St Kilda is not going to trade away one of those picks in the top 10,” Herald Sun journalist Josh Barnes began on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“They have Pick 24 as their second pick coming up after that; I think that’s a little bit too high — I think Pick 43 is fair enough for Jack Macrae.

“He’s served that club really well for a long time, it’s respectful, I think he wants to leave for respectful reasons, he’s not being played, and if he takes his full pay with him, Pick 43 seems about right to me.”

We know St Kilda is not going to trade away one of those picks in the top 10,” Herald Sun journalist Josh Barnes began on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“They have Pick 24 as their second pick coming up after that; I think that’s a little bit too high — I think Pick 43 is fair enough for Jack Macrae.

“He’s served that club really well for a long time, it’s respectful, I think he wants to leave for respectful reasons, he’s not being played, and if he takes his full pay with him, Pick 43 seems about right to me.”
If this is the deal. Lock it in

That Mac Andrew deal is absolutely horrendous, calling it now. Gold Coast have by far the worst list managers in the comp.

The money is irrelevant - you know the AFL has probably tipped in whatever marketing/ ambassador/ representative/ promotional/ merchandising/ advertising subsidy it feels like.

Good on Mac for cashing in on it.

Isn’t there huge talk from Twomey that Armstrong is now a top 5 chance (key forward) and you still have Trainor in the mix.

Trainor's concussion history will have spooked quite a few now. I reckon he could slide out a bit now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs could clear a huge amount of cap space by letting him walk out for minimum chips. He's not an asset playing VFL or out of position. If Sanders steps up they will need that spot in the best 22.

anyone else barracking for teams to lose now,who have players relevant to us?

peatling/houston/soldo/reeves

lets get gws and port out this week,so some announcements are closer

only exception of the 6 left is geelong,who i hope lose every week they are not playing collingwood or essendon

Trainor's concussion history will have spooked quite a few now. I reckon he could slide out a bit now.
We are guessing here.

Right now I’d personally be more concerned about a high hamstring injury to a powerful and explosive player like Lalor
Dogs could clear a huge amount of cap space by letting him walk out for minimum chips. He's not an asset playing VFL or out of position. If Sanders steps up they will need that spot in the best 22.
If we get him for. Third rounder and forward pay as much of that salary he is owed in 3 years - next season.

We will be laughing too

Pick 43 for Macrae? Done.

I really like Houston but the make up of our team would have to change to accommodate him. Nas & Sinc would need to be pushing up the ground.

I do NOT want us trading him in thinking we can turn him into an on baller.

Carlton made that mistake with Zac Williams. Don't repeat it.

Last edited:
If we get McRea for 43 it's basically a salary dump.
Puts them financially in the frame for Houston as reported they are interested.

Interesting the report we won't trade one of the top ten picks.
If that's the case we are out of the Houston race.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are guessing here.

Right now I’d personally be more concerned about a high hamstring injury to a powerful and explosive player like Lalor

If we get him for. Third rounder and forward pay as much of that salary he is owed in 3 years - next season.

We will be laughing too

I don't rate Lalor as it is. That just puts him behind a lot more others now. I wouldn't touch either now. I love Trainor and think his potential is as high as anyone in this draft but to have that many concessions already is a massive red flag.

I worry about FOS and his ability to get injured doing nothing and he's good compared to those serious issue guys. He seems to have a calcium deficiency. Breaks fingers doing his buttons up.

Pick 43 for Macrae? Done.

I really like Houston but the make up of our team would have to change to accommodate him. Nas & Sinc would need to be pushing up the ground.

I do NOT want us trading him in thinking we can turn him into an on baller.

Carlton made that mistake with Zac Williams. Don't repeat it.

Houston can play midfield. Gives the option of rotating Sinclair on ball as needed and swapping with him. Could also play him as a link-up last kick inside 50 player. He kicks really well and hits players like we dream of. King would kick 70 goals with him delivering to him. He could sit in his little hole all day and rip down his 8 marks without having to move.

They're just locking him in now before the cap increases. If they only gave him a 3 year deal and he came out of contract when the cap increases then he'd be after crazy money. This deal will look okay in a few years if Mac lives up to the hype.

Riley Garcia 23yo Bulldogs is also out of contract. He is averaging 33 disposals and a goal in the VFL, I wonder if we could get a package deal with the McRae trade. In one game against Carlton he had 17 tackles, he is only 178cms tall but plays very similiar to Hugo.
But we already have a Garcia.
Little Mexican 🇲🇽 girl says “why don’t we have both?”
Much enlightenment and celebration 🎉 ensues.

Carlton, Collingwood, Bulldogs, Saints all chasing Houston.
North offered a future first (lol), but Port want a pick this year.

Carlton really want him but wants to keep pick 11, don't know what Collingwood can offer.
We will offer pick 8.
Maybe all this has been reported don't know, just watching gettable.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Port should take the future first and we’ll trade it for our pick 8️⃣ this year.

If we heavily front loaded a player on say a 4️⃣ year contract totalling say 6️⃣ million and we payed him 4️⃣ million in the first 2️⃣ years and then he left.
Would he have to pay back the pro rata or does he just come out in front?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back