List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm probably in the minority, but I reckon 43 for Macrae is too much, especially if we're taking on his full salary.

43 probably drops into the late 30's by the time f/s and academy bids etc come in, and we keep hearing how deep this draft runs. I'd rather take 43 to draft night and offer a future 3rd at most.

But we already have a Garcia.
Little Mexican 🇲🇽 girl says “why don’t we have both?”
Much enlightenment and celebration 🎉 ensues.

Jesus...too lazy to even get the meme up.

Last edited:
If we heavily front loaded a player on say a 4️⃣ year contract totalling say 6️⃣ million and we payed him 4️⃣ million in the first 2️⃣ years and then he left.
Would he have to pay back the pro rata or does he just come out in front?

He just comes out in front.
This is the risk that clubs take when front loading contracts- if the player gets 'homesick' or whatever in the final (lower paid) years of the contract- the club is between a rock and a hard place:

A. Let them go and take the cap space hit- eg- they ended up paying a million a year for 2-3 years for a player only really worth 500k; or
B. Hold them to their contract- knowing they likely are not going to perform well and be disruptive etc (because they want out and are being held to a contract they dont want anymore)

We know St Kilda is not going to trade away one of those picks in the top 10,” Herald Sun journalist Josh Barnes began on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“They have Pick 24 as their second pick coming up after that; I think that’s a little bit too high — I think Pick 43 is fair enough for Jack Macrae.

“He’s served that club really well for a long time, it’s respectful, I think he wants to leave for respectful reasons, he’s not being played, and if he takes his full pay with him, Pick 43 seems about right to me.”
Swimming against the tide but I'd be filthy if we gave up 43 for Macrae, as it stands. The Dogs have trashed his trade value and should be thankful just to get his salary off the books. Without a fourth rounder that pick has more value to us than meets the eye. Maybe turn it into a couple of picks in the 50s and offer one of those.

Swimming against the tide but I'd be filthy if we gave up 43 for Macrae, as it stands. The Dogs have trashed his trade value and should be thankful just to get his salary off the books. Without a fourth rounder that pick has more value to us than meets the eye. Maybe turn it into a couple of picks in the 50s and offer one of those.

Wow...
I don't think i'd ever get "filthy" over a pick 43.
Maybe "annoyed" or a "bit shitty", but i'd save "filthy" for giving away early picks on Dylan Shiel kind of level.
Need to give yourself room to move.

Wow...
I don't think i'd ever get "filthy" over a pick 43.
Maybe "annoyed" or a "bit shitty", but i'd save "filthy" for giving away early picks on Dylan Shiel kind of level.
Need to give yourself room to move.
Don't worry I still have "mortified" in the back pocket when the topic of D** S** arises

I'm probably in the minority, but I reckon 43 for Macrae is too much, especially if we're taking on his full salary.

43 probably drops into the late 30's by the time f/s and academy bids etc come in, and we keep hearing how deep this draft runs. I'd rather take 43 to draft night and offer a future 3rd at most.
We'll probably be taking NGAs and Peckett so it won't hurt us much. 43 is pretty speculative anyway.

Started the year with a midfield of Steele, Crouch, Ross and Sinclair?

Ended it with Steele, Hunter, Jones and Dow?..

Starting to wonder if St Kilda and Ross Lyon could invent a style of gameplay where the midfield is irrelevant or greatly diminished.

Maybe tunnel ball..a giant tunnel of 18 players from fullback to full forward.

Countdown from 18 as the ball moves forward..

When your number is less than five from the count, you fall in, five beyond, you fall out and protect the tunnel.

Serious question, is the era of the super mid over or about to end?

We'll probably be taking NGAs and Peckett so it won't hurt us much. 43 is pretty speculative anyway.
Speculation is fine if we speculate on Hugo Garcia or Isac Keeler or even Ryan Byrnes.

Actually looking back, we've been better at that level of pick than we were at our early picks.
2023: Garcia pick 50
2022: Keeler pick 44
2021: NGA Windhager
2020: Highmore 45
2019: Byrnes 52
2018: Mathew Parker 47
2017: Ben Paton 46
2016: Ed Phillips 56
2015: Bailey Rice F/S probably the worst of the bunch.
2014 : Jack Lonie 41

We wouldn't have any picks with points to match NGAs/Peckett if we trade away 43. Hopefully Membrey gets us something, would rather not compromise next year's draft hand
We get a 20% discount on Peckett.

With the FS/NGA picks ahead of him. The later picks we would have - would come much further in and wouldn’t pose an issue.

Infact, if we are expecting the latest reports that Peckett is breaking into the top 30 now. We don’t really need any “Live” picks after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We get a 20% discount on Peckett.

With the FS/NGA picks ahead of him. The later picks we would have - would come much further in and wouldn’t pose an issue.

Infact, if we are expecting the latest reports that Peckett is breaking into the top 30 now. We don’t really need any “Live” picks after that.
How does this work - currently our next pick after 43 is 81, as we've already traded out our fourth rounder. Only picks 73 and up are worth any points.

Aside from Ashcroft/Lombard/Kako/Marshall are there any other FS/NGA ahead of him? How far does 81 actually come in, in that scenario? Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems like we will need to manufacture more late picks if we want to match a bid on Peckett.

I'm sure we will work something out but feels like it'd be good to explore options before tossing away 43 for Macrae.

I don't rate Lalor as it is. That just puts him behind a lot more others now. I wouldn't touch either now. I love Trainor and think his potential is as high as anyone in this draft but to have that many concessions already is a massive red flag.

I worry about FOS and his ability to get injured doing nothing and he's good compared to those serious issue guys. He seems to have a calcium deficiency. Breaks fingers doing his buttons up.
With FOS I would require him to do a bone densisty test before considering him for the draft. Some people have bones like birds. Can run fast but the bones are has brittle as all hell.

How does this work - currently our next pick after 43 is 81, as we've already traded out our fourth rounder. Only picks 73 and up are worth any points.

Aside from Ashcroft/Lombard/Kako/Marshall are there any other FS/NGA ahead of him? How far does 81 actually come in, in that scenario? Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems like we will need to manufacture more late picks if we want to match a bid on Peckett.

I'm sure we will work something out but feels like it'd be good to explore options before tossing away 43 for Macrae.
We still have 5 OOC players

Jones
Paton
Membrey
Hayes
Hotton

You would imagine we could get a pick or 2 from that lot.

Please stop labelling people as memes
How Dare You Greta GIF

Midfield is much less important these days. You can get away with one really good one a few quality rotations. Rebound and outside run is where you can add more avenues

Serious question, is the era of the super mid over or about to end?

To a point- yes, I think you can get away with an average midfield.

If you sweat on punishing teams on turnovers, then yeah... you can win lots of games by basically conceding most centre square stoppages and giving them first use.

BUT- I think where this strategy comes unstuck when it REALLY matters- CLOSE finish games.

Games that are on the line at the death are (in my opinion) often won and lost out of the centre square clearance battle (especially with the 6/6/6 rule).

So I think you can build a team that wins a lot of games using just a bland, average midfield (if you are good at punishing turnovers and commit few yourself).

BUT- you're team is gonna be at high risk (i think) of losing the majority of any CLOSE games they happen to play in.

In an even comp- there are bound to be lots of close games (and especially in low scoring finals).
So I think yes- you can build very good, competitive team with only an average midfield.

But that competitive team is always going to be more likely than not to lose the most important/season defining games.

So overall- THAT is why it ultimately fails as a flag winning strategy in my opinion.

You don't need star mids... right up until the crucial points when you DO need them.

Last edited:
Bidding war for Membrey might be the best chance. Doubt we get anything for the others but we'll see
recall doggies and bombers being into paton a couple seasons ago,wonder if any interest still?laverde on way out,or paton and 43 for macrae and 59?

sorry 59 is eagles,have to hope the doggies get a pick in the 50-70 range along the way

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back