List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep it wasn’t an actual knock on hill just an example of would you rather a 23 yo gun right now or a 31 year old whose near the end.

Probably in a different position now with a bulk ion work done on the draft over the last few years. We could probably do with a mix now.In 3 or 4 years a lot of our older guys are going to be at the end. Going hard now is probably a good idea.

I was watching a few of our early games the last few days and Henry stood out to me. There was one match where the commentators even mentioned that he seemed to be involved in every goal we scored.
We’ll be a better side if he plays a full season.

He is still a bit inconsistent like he was at Freo. He's still young enough to end up an absolute gun though. Should be exactly the right age to significantly improve next year.

Fact is that is not true. However it is true Hill has been terrific for the indigenous kids AND is playing great football.
Who said we would have chosen Serong?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

You are making a lot of assumptions too. I have heard how much Mason Wood has contributed to Nas staying. I'm sure Hill probably helped Henry decide but Ross Lyon a couple of years of SOS fixating on him from when he bid on him and a whole lot of other factors were there as well. He wanted to get to a vic club to push his fashion brand too from memory.

Who knows who we would have drafted at pick 6 in 2019? All I know is we gave up the opportunity to draft Young or Serong and topped up instead.

Would that one player and Acres be more beneficial to the club than Hill, Howard and Ryder?

There are many ways to measure benefit.

I am confident in my claim that if Jason Cripps had accepted the club's offer to come home in 2017, things would be looking very different and better now.

Who knows who we would have drafted at pick 6 in 2019? All I know is we gave up the opportunity to draft Young or Serong and topped up instead.

Would that one player and Acres be more beneficial to the club than Hill, Howard and Ryder?

I am confident in my claim that if Jason Cripps had accepted the club's offer to come home in 2017, things would be looking very different and better now.

Cripps has been good at selling players high and targeting and getting in existing talent. That said their list is never settled or quite good enough. Collingwood, Geelong, peak Richmond and most other premiership sides have a large core group who have played plenty of footy together. They seem to churn too many and never feel very settled or like they have taken ownership of the club.

You are making a lot of assumptions too. I have heard how much Mason Wood has contributed to Nas staying. I'm sure Hill probably helped Henry decide but Ross Lyon a couple of years of SOS fixating on him from when he bid on him and a whole lot of other factors were there as well. He wanted to get to a vic club to push his fashion brand too from memory.
No assumptions, fact. NAZ and Collard has stayed with him, and Henry played with him at Freo. Paddy is his cousin and was an influence in him playing for us.
Hill has proven time and again how valuable to us he has been both on and off the field.
The constant attempt to devalue him is pretty poor and distasteful in my view.
Accept the L and move on.

Port are shit and can't even get to a gf. Cripps is so overrated.

Not to mention we'd have never had his cousin Paddy Ryder play for us.
I loved Paddy - don’t get me wrong. We all did.
But in the end I think having him just gave us a false sense of where we were at.

Last edited:
Yep it wasn’t an actual knock on hill just an example of would you rather a 23 yo gun right now or a 31 year old whose near the end.
Hill might not be the greatest player in the world but he is very durable injury wise and his game style he could easily be a best 22 player for a few more years and the best thing about him is that he is a great mentor for our indigenous boys.
It has to be remembered he influenced Ryder to come to the club and Henry as well and now with having Collard he would be a great mentor for the guy.

I'm probably in the minority, but I reckon 43 for Macrae is too much, especially if we're taking on his full salary.

43 probably drops into the late 30's by the time f/s and academy bids etc come in, and we keep hearing how deep this draft runs. I'd rather take 43 to draft night and offer a future 3rd at most.
Historically 43 will end up about 43 after all the fs/nga bizzo.

Not to mention we'd have never had his cousin Paddy Ryder play for us.
Let’s be honest, Paddy was a star but really what good did it do us? Just another sugar hit.

Let’s be honest, Paddy was a star but really what good did it do us? Just another sugar hit.
FFS you revisionists, he gave Marshall a chop.out while he was still learning to ruck.

Some are you people are literally clueless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be looking at every teams 2nds , a lot of players get out of favor due to personality conflicts or not used in there best possible way and never given a good crack.

Wood was a fine example , played mainly as a forward for North who never used his elite running ability another was Parish , the Bombers were looking at offloading him if they could get anything for him which they couldn't , the the following season Merritt , Shiel went down and Parish was there only option and he was able to show what he had.

Many players have been put on the outer , the Suns did it to Wright who basically played a whole season in the 2s before moving to the Bombers the same as Will Brodie.
Fremantle delisted Sam Collins played the next season in the VFL then picked up by the Suns and never looked back.

Teams I would be looking at are Essendon , Gold Coast , GWS , Blues , Dogs and Adelaide , who all seem to fail in player development a lot IMO.
D'Ambrosio from Ess to Haw another good example

This year was pretty unusual and hard to get much out of the stats. Nearly every mid on the list went down and we were locking the game up to try minimise damage.
We capitulated about of a third of the way through the season, just like the year prior. The only difference between the two years is that in 2023 we won the first month or so of footy, and in 2024 we lost. Our last third of 2024 however was much better to watch than in 2023, but that middle part of the year was horrible.
A part of me wants to believe that we were trying to bed down a team wide defense strategy that the players had failed to execute up until then...but I think the reality is that I'm just conjuring excuses as to how shit we were actually playing.

Hill might not be the greatest player in the world but he is very durable injury wise and his game style he could easily be a best 22 player for a few more years and the best thing about him is that he is a great mentor for our indigenous boys.
It has to be remembered he influenced Ryder to come to the club and Henry as well and now with having Collard he would be a great mentor for the guy.
Hill could play another 6 years

I've read in a few places that Dogs don't need to get Macrae off their books. This may well be correct but if they do, it means someone else can be front ended - meaning more space in future years.

It's always beneficial to get someone who is surplus to needs and paid well off your books. That argument should never apply to an AFL team.

We never would have had Serong.

We traded 6 for 12 + 18.

We gave 18 up for Paddy + Doogs.

So pick 12 would have landed us with one of Pickett, Bergman, Day or Weightman.

Would we trade Hill for Acres + one of them?
And if we didn't trade pick 6?

People forget that Hill has also been a mentor for the aboriginal players on the list. I dare say if it wasn't for Hill, Wanganeen Milera would have left us to go back to SA. Also he was one of the main reasons we got Henry--who i think will end up being a star for the club. I think Hill is one of the best acquisitions we have had in a long time. Worth his weight in gold.
Hill or Wood for NAS?

Henry you probably have a case for but I think there might be more to it than hill. For example young and the strategy to move into Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back