List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Zik2PCw.gif
Well that's clearly unrealistic. Or has the Prez gone to advanced hair hats?

Summary:

Talks opened with WB about Macrae but they are keen to retain him

GWS open discussion about recruiting Ben Paton preferably as a DFA

Collingwood still interested in Jack Hayes after a medical during the week

TALKS COMMENCE ON MACRAE

EARLY talks have begun between St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs as premiership midfielder Jack Macrae seeks a move to the Saints.

Macrae has three years to run on his contract with the Dogs but officially requested a trade to the Saints last month.

Discussions have commenced on what a deal would take to see Macrae get through to the Saints, with St Kilda football boss David Misson discussing the club's draft focus earlier this week.

The Bulldogs have indicated they would listen to offers on Macrae, who has played 249 games for the club, but that they were keen to retain him. – Callum Twomey

a098dnUZ.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MAY 31: Jack Macrae of the Bulldogs celebrates a goal during the 2024 AFL Round 12 match between the Collingwood Magpies and the Adelaide Crows at The Melbourne Cricket Ground on May 31, 2024 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

SAINT MEETS WITH GIANTS

GREATER Western Sydney has met with St Kilda defender Ben Paton as the Giants survey their options for ready-to-go recruits.

With the club losing experience during this year's trade and free agency periods, the Giants have been looking at players as possible delisted rookie selections.

Paton played four games this season, for a total of 71 at the Saints across seven seasons with the club as a small defender.

uQt84zj6.jpg

Ben Paton during a St Kilda training session at RSEA Park on May 3, 2023. Picture: Getty Images
The 25-year-old remains in limbo for next year, having not yet got a contract for 2025 but also not been a part of St Kilda's delistings so far.

The Giants have generally used the rookie draft as a way to re-pick their delisted players but will be on the search for experience after the trade period. – Callum Twomey, Riley Beveridge

PIES KEEP TABS ON TALL DUO

COLLINGWOOD continues to monitor St Kilda forward Jack Hayes and Melbourne defender Adam Tomlinson, with the club hopeful of finding a cut-price option to bolster its key-position depth this off-season.

The Pies have put Hayes through a medical examination, while Tomlinson remains another target for the club as it keeps tabs on the uncontracted duo through this year's Trade Period.

Both players could be available as delisted free agency options beyond next Wednesday night's trade deadline, with Collingwood list manager Justin Leppitsch confirming to AFL.com.au's Gettable that both were on the side's radar.

f5659gKB.jpg

Jack Hayes during the round eight match between St Kilda and North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium, May 4, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Hayes has played just eight games across three years on St Kilda's list due to significant knee, foot and hamstring injuries, while Tomlinson managed only eight senior appearances for Melbourne this season.

"Key position tall depth at both ends of the ground is a focus of ours," Leppitsch said.

"We've spoken to the management of those guys. Jack came in and did a medical, so they are progressing. We'll see where they lie at the end of the Trade Period." – Riley Beveridge

Summary:

Talks opened with WB about Macrae but they are keen to retain him

GWS open discussion about recruiting Ben Paton preferably as a DFA

2 ass end picks for Paton & Hayes make a difference to academy/Father son picks.

For example they have 53.

That has a DVI of 233.

I think that pick comes in 10 spots roughly before a bid on Cole or Peckett.

So P43 would have 378.

If a bid came in at 40 - it would be 429 points - 20% discount.

So 343 is required. Which means we could match and get another P70 back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 ass end picks for Paton & Hayes make a difference to academy/Father son picks.

That has a DVI of 233.

So P43 would have 378.

A 3 pick upgrade from 47 (no idea what they have) would be the max on Hayes. Paton they’ll probably wait to be delisted.

That has a DVI of 233.

So P43 would have 378.

Yep but it seems like GWS want Paton for free even though I can't see why they wouldnt be willing to give up a junk pick since they have so many and are set to accumulate more via Peatling, XOH etc

Logan Smith at around pick 40 and Cooper Bell (late if at all) are the only academy kids they need to bid on and I think Caruso said they only want to pick 3-4 players from the draft? So pick Smith, Bell, 15, 16, and maybe 21 for uncertainty's sake. That leaves; 37, 53, 56, 74 for bidding from which there'll 100% be some leftover picks of value

P55 for Hayes seems pretty likely

Yep but it seems like GWS want Paton for free even though I can't see why they wouldnt be willing to give up a junk pick since they have so many and are set to accumulate more via Peatling, XOH etc

Logan Smith at around pick 40 and Cooper Bell (late if at all) are the only academy kids they need to bid on and I think Caruso said they only want to pick 3-4 players from the draft? So pick Smith, Bell, 15, 16, and maybe 21 for uncertainty's sake. That leaves; 37, 53, 56, 74 for bidding from which there'll 100% be some leftover picks of value

P55 for Hayes seems pretty likely
Hopefully Gubby can work something out.

We are not in the running for 9 as it stands now
Be very surprised if we land 9

Yes I doubt we get it as well.

Does anyone really believe that Kako will go before Essendon's pick? If not they get pick 9 in an excellent draft and still get Kako later by trading for the gap the need. So unless someone offers them a great deal, why would they not just sit tight?

The assumption seems to be that we can bluff them, to "force" Essendon to trade. I would imagine that they will call that bluff.

The bluff would only be worth it IF we are ok to take Kako with 7/ 8 anyway. Otherwise we shoot ourselves by taking a player when there are better players for our needs on offer.

And if Essendon did think that we, or the Dees, might call him out, they may not trade with us anyway as other clubs can offer us more. Pick 9 is good, but would we we be happy with it?

Most clubs are looking to get into our part of the draft, not out of it. The Hawks the exception as they somehow belief they can force WCE hand for Barrass.

Yes I doubt we get it as well.

Does anyone really believe that Kako will go before Essendon's pick? If not they get pick 9 in an excellent draft and still get Kako later by trading for the gap the need. So unless someone offers them a great deal, why would they not just sit tight?

The assumption seems to be that we can bluff them, to "force" Essendon to trade. I would imagine that they will call that bluff.

The bluff would only be worth it IF we are ok to take Kako with 7/ 8 anyway. Otherwise we shoot ourselves by taking a player when there are better players for our needs on offer.

And if Essendon did think that we, or the Dees, might call him out, they may not trade with us anyway as other clubs can offer us more. Pick 9 is good, but would we we be happy with it?

Most clubs are looking to get into our part of the draft, not out of it. The Hawks the exception as they somehow belief they can force WCE hand for Barrass.
Their list manager admitted they need to trade the pick and that they can wait until draft night if they want.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back