List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's really sad hearing about Lance today. We had a lot of wins in the draft with Arie, Hugo and Hastie all after Lance. I guess he'll forever be known as the Gresham pick - but maybe we just rewrite history and call the Adelaide freebie pick the one we used for Collard.

Hopefully it'll click and he will sort himself out. Early days for him still.

We need to get a contract in front of Howard, he has turned the corner big time! A much improved player, who knows perhaps our coaches have gotten the best out of him and helped him with the mental side of his game...

Also, sign Battle. He rarely makes a mistake and is super versatile, hard as a cats head. Screw the pick! Nail the natural first pick and find more gems down the order.

We need to get a contract in front of Howard, he has turned the corner big time! A much improved player, who knows perhaps our coaches have gotten the best out of him and helped him with the mental side of his game...

Also, sign Battle. He rarely makes a mistake and is super versatile, hard as a cats head. Screw the pick! Nail the natural first pick and find more gems down the order.
It was always the case with Doogs that the stupid acts were dragging him down, but we need to beware the Billings scenario because blokes that perform best only in contract years are the ones to weed out. Maybe he's auditioning for suitors.
Those at the club will know best and it’s fraught to attach oneself to an opinion in this case. IMO.

It was always the case with Doogs that the stupid acts were dragging him down, but we need to beware the Billings scenario because blokes that perform best only in contract years are the ones to weed out. Maybe he's auditioning for suitors.
Those at the club will know best and it’s fraught to attach oneself to an opinion in this case. IMO.
Just keep giving him 1 year extension, easy as

We can't afford to lose battle. He's crucial to the performance of the side.

I don't see how we can improve without him. It'll leave a massive hole. Probably 3-4 goals worse off.

I actually agree with you now. He is part of the glue that holds the backline together. And our backline is now one of the best in the comp.

Plus Lyon swung him forward late and I think Battle enjoyed that. He didn’t kick any goals but he made a difference up there.

I have no inside knowledge, but my gut feel is that Battle is genuinely undecided. Today might help sway him to stay.

Interesting that he was seen talking to the President after the game.

It's really sad hearing about Lance today. We had a lot of wins in the draft with Arie, Hugo and Hastie all after Lance. I guess he'll forever be known as the Gresham pick - but maybe we just rewrite history and call the Adelaide freebie pick the one we used for Collard.

Hopefully it'll click and he will sort himself out. Early days for him still.
Not sure if I missed something but what was the Lance Collard news?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, though I do get the feeling he's somewhat clicked to his role. I see it it's basically a win-win for us, stay around or leave on inflated value. I'd hope and I get the feeling the Club wouldn't pe putting a huge long contract in front of him, if he wanted to stay. But they've certainly made a lot of stupid moves before...

True, though I do get the feeling he's somewhat clicked to his role. I see it it's basically a win-win for us, stay around or leave on inflated value. I'd hope and I get the feeling the Club wouldn't pe putting a huge long contract in front of him, if he wanted to stay. But they've certainly made a lot of stupid moves before...
He had a super year in 2020 and had a strong showing in the best and fairest that year. He was working really well with Carlisle in tandem down back. Definitely a required player and contract talks need to start soon.

The few games I've been to this season I've watched Howard closely. The first game I pointed him out to my girlfriend and said watch that guy do some diabolical sh*t. He was solid as a rock. I reckon he's really important for us.

I don't see him getting brain farts out of his game as a contract year thing. I'd like to think it's from working with the coaches. The other stuff he's always done well. To me, he looks like a very good defender now.

In-demand St Kilda defender Josh Battle has lauded the club’s direction under coach Ross Lyon as he weighs up a big-money offer to join Hawthorn.

The gun intercepting defender has emerged as one of the most sought-after players in the AFL as the Saints clinched one of the upsets of the season with a two-point victory over premiership favourite Sydney Swans on Sunday.

Battle, 25, said he had put off contract talks until the end of the season, but was adamant he was a big believer in the Saints’ direction.

“There has been a bit of noise around (about the contract) but my manager has been amazing, the club has been amazing and hopefully we can keep playing good footy and that (contract) will work itself out at the end of the year,” Battle said.

“Ross has been brilliant with me, we have a great relationship and he is a great sounding board for me, so I am just going to keep trying to improve my footy and keep working with these guys.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA – JULY 07: Andrew Bassat, President of St Kilda Football Club celebrates with [PLAYERCARD]Josh Battle[/PLAYERCARD] of the Saints during the round 17 AFL match between St Kilda Saints and Sydney Swans at Marvel Stadium, on July 07, 2024, in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images)

“But I have a lot of belief in Ross, his coaches and what we are implementing here.

“I love playing in this back six with Doug (Dougal Howard), Wilkes (Callum Wilkie) and then Sincs (Jack Sinclair), Nas (Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera) and these guys who can run.

“We just try to give it to them and get it out of our hands.”

The Hawks are expected to table a lucrative offer for the Saints’ star free agent which could net St Kilda an extra top-10 draft pick as free agency compensation if Battle departs, depending on his new salary.

Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell has personally reached out to Battle about a potential move to the Hawks but the Saints have also made clear they want to keep him as they look to add more top-end midfield talent.

Battle was adamant there was still a lot for St Kilda to gain from the rest of the season after toppling the Swans without injured spearhead Max King on Sunday at Marvel Stadium.

The victory will also silence criticism of the team’s game plan and scoring capacity this year with second-ballwinner Mattaes Phillipou racking up a career-high 26 disposals in a new midfield role against the Swans after a stint in the VFL.

Battle said the club was not giving up on its season.

“Ross has been big on that, he says that we are still building and in everything we do we are trying to get better every day,” he said.

“So we are definitely not throwing in the towel this year, we are going to keep competing, keep bringing effort and hopefully we can stay in lots of games of footy.

“Sydney are obviously top-of-the-table for a reason and they are a great side so we knew we had to bring our best.

“Even at three quarter time Ross said keep playing our way, keep bringing our effort and we will stay in the game.”

[PLAYERCARD]Josh Battle[/PLAYERCARD] has become a key cog for the Saints. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos/via Getty Images.

Josh Battle has become a key cog for the Saints. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos/via Getty Images.
Sydney Swans’ key forward Logan McDonald had a set shot in the final minute to win the game for the second week in a row but kicked a point in the heart-stopping finish.

Battle said the Saints had been working hard at training to improve their forward conversion amid criticism of the club’s scoring power this year.

The Saints sit in 14th spot with six wins and 10 losses. Six of their defeats have been by 10 points or less.

“We have still got our best footy ahead of us,” he said.

“We just need to work on a few things like a bit of connection going forward.”

Battle said the recent birth of his second daughter, Bobbi, had taken his mind off the big decision on his future.

“We have just had a little newborn, me and my partner Case, we had little Bobbi, she’s 13 weeks tomorrow, so to be honest, the contract stuff isn’t as big as some may think,” he said.

“So I have got the hands full at home. We will make that decision at the end of the year.”

In-demand St Kilda defender Josh Battle has lauded the club’s direction under coach Ross Lyon as he weighs up a big-money offer to join Hawthorn.

The gun intercepting defender has emerged as one of the most sought-after players in the AFL as the Saints clinched one of the upsets of the season with a two-point victory over premiership favourite Sydney Swans on Sunday.

Battle, 25, said he had put off contract talks until the end of the season, but was adamant he was a big believer in the Saints’ direction.

“There has been a bit of noise around (about the contract) but my manager has been amazing, the club has been amazing and hopefully we can keep playing good footy and that (contract) will work itself out at the end of the year,” Battle said.

“Ross has been brilliant with me, we have a great relationship and he is a great sounding board for me, so I am just going to keep trying to improve my footy and keep working with these guys.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA – JULY 07: Andrew Bassat, President of St Kilda Football Club celebrates with Josh Battle of the Saints during the round 17 AFL match between St Kilda Saints and Sydney Swans at Marvel Stadium, on July 07, 2024, in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Kelly Defina/Getty Images)

“But I have a lot of belief in Ross, his coaches and what we are implementing here.

“I love playing in this back six with Doug (Dougal Howard), Wilkes (Callum Wilkie) and then Sincs (Jack Sinclair), Nas (Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera) and these guys who can run.

“We just try to give it to them and get it out of our hands.”

The Hawks are expected to table a lucrative offer for the Saints’ star free agent which could net St Kilda an extra top-10 draft pick as free agency compensation if Battle departs, depending on his new salary.

Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell has personally reached out to Battle about a potential move to the Hawks but the Saints have also made clear they want to keep him as they look to add more top-end midfield talent.

Battle was adamant there was still a lot for St Kilda to gain from the rest of the season after toppling the Swans without injured spearhead Max King on Sunday at Marvel Stadium.

The victory will also silence criticism of the team’s game plan and scoring capacity this year with second-ballwinner Mattaes Phillipou racking up a career-high 26 disposals in a new midfield role against the Swans after a stint in the VFL.

Battle said the club was not giving up on its season.

“Ross has been big on that, he says that we are still building and in everything we do we are trying to get better every day,” he said.

“So we are definitely not throwing in the towel this year, we are going to keep competing, keep bringing effort and hopefully we can stay in lots of games of footy.

“Sydney are obviously top-of-the-table for a reason and they are a great side so we knew we had to bring our best.

“Even at three quarter time Ross said keep playing our way, keep bringing our effort and we will stay in the game.”

Josh Battle has become a key cog for the Saints. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos/via Getty Images.

Sydney Swans’ key forward Logan McDonald had a set shot in the final minute to win the game for the second week in a row but kicked a point in the heart-stopping finish.

Battle said the Saints had been working hard at training to improve their forward conversion amid criticism of the club’s scoring power this year.

The Saints sit in 14th spot with six wins and 10 losses. Six of their defeats have been by 10 points or less.

“We have still got our best footy ahead of us,” he said.

“We just need to work on a few things like a bit of connection going forward.”

Battle said the recent birth of his second daughter, Bobbi, had taken his mind off the big decision on his future.

“We have just had a little newborn, me and my partner Case, we had little Bobbi, she’s 13 weeks tomorrow, so to be honest, the contract stuff isn’t as big as some may think,” he said.

“So I have got the hands full at home. We will make that decision at the end of the year.”
How often have players put off talks to the end of the year and then re-signed?

I'm sure it has happened but I doubt it's common.

But he may be waiting to see where we are heading as a side. It would be interesting if we ended up ahead of the Hawks on the ladder.

But he may be waiting to see where we are heading as a side. It would be interesting if we ended up ahead of the Hawks on the ladder.
Our club would have something to do with it. Sounds like we are having a bet each way on this. The positive we can take out of it is it hasn’t affected his performance. He is playing as well as ever and if anything increasing his value.

Where is Elijah Hewett at at WC i know the saints would of drafted him if WC didn't jump ahaead of them.

Maybe if Lance is home sick a swap with Hewett might be on the card.

Watch this space.
Absolutely no chance. Only reason why Hewett hasn't played is that he has been injured the entire season.

Right now, we would be lucky to get a third rounder for Collard.

Who was the Essendon player managed by Scott Lucas which dragged on right to the end of last year? From memory, the player didn’t resign until after the season had finished.

I just wonder how much of the water has been muddied by Battle’s manager, “you’ve just had a kid mate, focus on that, let’s wait to the end of the year”, meanwhile old mate bargains and primes the market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back