Training 2024 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

best thing to read:
Tim Clarke said:

16. Jack Carroll

"Jack Carroll came back bigger and stronger, he did a big off-season over in the west with ‘Crippa’. His power that he’s shown has been a big jump, and we’re excited by what he’s going to be able to provide our group.

"It’s really competitive amongst our midfield positions: he’s been putting his hand up through there, as well as some time up forward. We’re excited about the power and speed he’s going to show coming out of contests this year."

Can't get too down in the dumps just yet re: Walshy as details on return are sketchy. Maybe we're on to it early and have prevented something more long term. Peter Ryan's report mentioned that they were leaving it up to Sam to decide if he was right for next week. Could be an OK sign.

If he is to miss for a while it just means that Matt Kennedy and George get greater time in the midfield. They look to have had very solid pre seasons. It also creates an opportunity for the likes of Cunners, Durds, Elijah, Fog, Jacky Martin and Mots to fill some of the breach until he returns.

Let's see what plays out first and hope for a speedy and sold recovery.

After being a Jack Carroll fan in his draft year and being rapt that we got him at Pick 41 or whatever, i have become a sceptic for at least the last 12 months. Frankly i've thought he looks more than a level below requirement for a Top 8 team onballer/flanker. There is a big difference between a Top 8 team player and a bottom 8 team player....as we, more than anyone would know.

It is very heartening to read Tim Clarke's descriptive assessment of him right now. Clarke could be just doing part of his job and building Jack's belief as high as possible, but lets take his comments at face value, and it is exactly what you would want to hear about Carroll's pre-season and current fitness/game status.

Added power....after a pre pre-season with Crippa in the WA wilds. Fantastic.

I'll admit i have Jack as a delist/trade candidate more than a Top 22 player after last year, so it's music to the ears to hear he is in peak fitness in a young peak age year, to give it a red hot crack this year.

As someone whose favorite all time Blue is Jimmy Buckley, i'd love to see the #16 rippin it up again.

After being a Jack Carroll fan in his draft year and being rapt that we got him at Pick 41 or whatever, i have become a sceptic for at least the last 12 months. Frankly i've thought he looks more than a level below requirement for a Top 8 team onballer/flanker. There is a big difference between a Top 8 team player and a bottom 8 team player....as we, more than anyone would know.

It is very heartening to read Tim Clarke's descriptive assessment of him right now. Clarke could be just doing part of his job and building Jack's belief as high as possible, but lets take his comments at face value, and it is exactly what you would want to hear about Carroll's pre-season and current fitness/game status.

I'll admit i have Jack as a delist/trade candidate more than a Top 22 player after last year, so it's music to the ears to hear he is in peak fitness in a young peak age year, to give it a red hot crack this year.

As someone whose favorite all time Blue is Jimmy Buckley, i'd love to see the #16 rippin it up again.

Think he is just a late bloomer and hopefully he plays as a traditional centreman this year and forces his way in, if a spot opens up

I am backing him in to have a much better year

I'm still a fan. Looked like he was struggling with his body all last year. Having put on a lot of weight as a 20 year old it happens. He's still only just turned 21 so very young but he'll need to show he can dominate at VFL level this season. List spots are going to be very tight next off season. Going to be some brutally harsh delistings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding pre-season, I've been given the following:

E Hollands - will slot straight in after suspension. Club knew that they were onto a good'un and has not disappointed.

Motlop - raised the most eyebrows so far this year. Has improved in all facets of his game and looks ready to explode.

Moir - no pressure on him for an early season debut but he may be the most talented player there. Says something when Jack Martin and Charlie Curnow are in the same forward line.

PERSONAL NOTE: Moir's development and/or integration into the 22 will show just how far our great club has come in the last 25 years.

a LOT of focus on strength and speed. Sounds like we want to bash people at the contest .

I like the sound of that.
I liked the comment about how we want to be difficult to play against. It might seem an obvious desire, but in the context of the other comments, I can imagine opposition teams coming into a carlton game thinking about having to match up on the physicality of Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett etc on the inside, and then chase Acres, Hollands, Walsh, Cotters etc on the outside. Pretty intimidating prospect, especially if those players also have a mindset of making it a tough day for you!

I'd recommend listening to the Dyl & Friends podcast, he recently had Andrew Russell as a guest for the second time and gave some really strong insight into how he operates.

He mentions the club is focusing less on traditional conditioning and more about integrating their fitness program into ball work so players can train decision making under fatigue.

He also mentions that they've tried a few new things this preseason which seem to be working so it'll be interesting to get our first taste Thursday.

Regarding pre-season, I've been given the following:

E Hollands - will slot straight in after suspension. Club knew that they were onto a good'un and has not disappointed.

Motlop - raised the most eyebrows so far this year. Has improved in all facets of his game and looks ready to explode.

Moir - no pressure on him for an early season debut but he may be the most talented player there. Says something when Jack Martin and Charlie Curnow are in the same forward line.

Couldn't agree more

He's still young. Had a good pre season and has matured

My take is he will be a tough accumulator type. That's his go. Doesn't do anything special or is even great ball user.

All about workrate

Huge call to have Moir rated alongside Charlie & Jack Martin, let alone above.

Keen to hear more

Could he be a R1 smokie? Would he fit in currently within the team dynamic of talls & smalls?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back