Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was keen to hold a spot for the midseason draft, but don't mind at all giving 3 spots away now. If we left a spot unallocated it might have made it harder for us to get high quality SSP prospects in future years if we don't build a history of using all the SSP spots we have people trying out for.

You may want to advise him to try a different number if he's zeroed in on 20 - it seems cursed!

Animated GIF

Yeah, maybe his hamstring is the end of the bad juju.
Lets hope.
Other than the injury, I did think #20 suited him, jumper wise. He wore it twice I think. He had previously worn #43, #45, #30 and #11 during pre-season.
Teakle always wore #44
Bytel 99% of the time wore #33
Sullivan wore #33, lately, before then rotated through some numbers.

Hi there Jen2310 - a big thanks for all your SSP progress updates, you really do a great job of building a picture of how they are progressing and their key attributes - whilst I'd barely seen any of them play and haven't made it to training, I have felt suitably informed about them to contribute to the fascinating discussions about which SSPs we'd choose. Well done and I hope you know how much we appreciate all your efforts.

I like the vote of confidence the club has given Josh Eyre.
He has some great attributes, not the least of which is his kicking.
If he can overcome his hamstring issues, he will become a weapon for us in the longer term.
As many have mentioned, our skipper had hamstring problems when he was younger, but is now pretty durable.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We went into a game last year where Steene was fit, but played McStay and Johnson as our rucks. I think that's pretty strong evidence that Steene was considered AFL irrelevant last year

That was early season but Steene made strong progress as the season went on, particularly his marking around the ground.

I like the vote of confidence the club has given Josh Eyre.
He has some great attributes, not the least of which is his kicking.
If he can overcome his hamstring issues he will become a weapon for us in the longer term.
As many have mentioned, our skipper had hamstring problems when he was younger, but is now pretty durable.
eyre has tall man hammies, he'll tear a few in his younger years but they should stretch out just like Moore's

I was keen to hold a spot for the midseason draft, but don't mind at all giving 3 spots away now. If we left a spot unallocated it might have made it harder for us to get high quality SSP prospects in future years if we don't build a history of using all the SSP spots we have people trying out for.

One advantage of taking them now is that it’s right after we’ve had an extended look at them training in our system, which likely won’t be the case for anyone taken in the MSrD unless it’s from our own VFL team. There’s also the benefits of continuity within that system as opposed to joining a team mid-year.

Surprised by Bytel. Think we have enough midfield/inside/outside depth in the system.

Was expecting tall, either Teakle or Sofrinidis, especially given fragility of Murphy, Dean and Eyre.
True but having committed to Eyre then another tall might have been one too many.

Too many midfielders is an easier dilemma to manage than too many talls. Small and medium players can fill about 15-16 spots in the 22, so easier to find room for midfielders somewhere, whilst talls are generally less versatile.

One advantage of taking them now is that it’s right after we’ve had an extended look at them training in our system, which likely won’t be the case for anyone taken in the MSrD unless it’s from our own VFL team. There’s also the benefits of continuity within that system as opposed to joining a team mid-year.
It’s a massive benefit.

There’s a distinct possibility that we might even pass on the MSD even if we have a LTI. We have so much depth now across all age groups and player types that it might be better to test that depth out and not burn a 2025 list spot on a whim in June.

(Yeah I know we could offer a six month contract but that’s a horrible way to treat a player)

Hi there Jen2310 - a big thanks for all your SSP progress updates, you really do a great job of building a picture of how they are progressing and their key attributes - whilst I'd barely seen any of them play and haven't made it to training, I have felt suitably informed about them to contribute to the fascinating discussions about which SSPs we'd choose. Well done and I hope you know how much we appreciate all your efforts.

Yes, I second this. Well done Jen. Thanks for everything you do.

Apart from yesterdays Goldfields' Cup - Bytel has impressed me. Even yesterday he did things the coaches would have liked. Although he didn't get many touches, it was his IQ that I liked. He was directing traffic at every stoppage. I watched him closely through binoculars and he showed real leadership, which was a little surprising, in that he's invited to train with the reigning premier and not only works his butt off on the track, but in the first real hit out, shows the strength of character to buy-in and direct traffic. As I mentioned earlier this week, Sullivan is the no frills bull, whilst Bytel has a more athletic bent. Both will be depth. The talk of Sullivan pushing WHE out of the team is silly.

On another matter, I really felt for Campbell Hustwaite last night. I was doing a bit of walking, waiting for the jumper presentation and found myself down near the player carpark. Hustwaite and his partner walked by and she looked to be consoling him with her arms around him. It must have been a big blow for him to miss out. It seems he might have known last night.
Great insight on Bytel.
He was apparently regarded as just behind Walsh in their draft year, but has been cruelled by injury.
So based on potential he has huge upside. Adding his size and tank makes him a great selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back