USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question: is using tariffs to protect local industry not traditionally a left wing concept? I feel like unions and left-wing parties wanted to keep the auto industry going in Australia, for example, and it was the RWNJ's who decided it was okay to offshore this stuff because of muh free market. Then covid hit and many of us realised that we should probably have a little bit of local manufacturing independence instead of creating an economy that depends on outsourced slavery 🤷‍♂️
It's like arguing whether Smallpox is left or right wing.
It's really neither, just a relic of the distant past.

I'm sorry to say that this won't make a difference. Trump voters have rationalised the crazy and accept it.

Really think that most of them are like the Joker. They just want to see the world burn, because they don't recognise what it's becoming, and their insulated white world is collapsing on them.
I tend to agree but what I’m not seeing is Democrats and even undecided voters (unsure how anyone can say they’re undecided at this stage), moving towards Trump, whereas there seems to be a lot of longtime Republicans who are willingly coming out and saying Trump is unfit to serve and they’re voting for Harris. Maybe I don’t watch enough Fox?

I tend to agree but what I’m not seeing is Democrats and even undecided voters (unsure how anyone can say they’re undecided at this stage), moving towards Trump, whereas there seems to be a lot of longtime Republicans who are willingly coming out and saying Trump is unfit to serve and they’re voting for Harris. Maybe I don’t watch enough Fox?
Other than a few loonies, Tulsi, RFK Jr, they aren't moving to Trump.

It should all lead to a comfortable win to Harris, the fact it's going to be a squeaker is an indictment on the electoral college, given she'll win the popular vote by ~5m.

Seriously who could vote for this guy. He belongs in a home

One thing I’ve noticed especially in this election is that conservative forums no longer post clips of Trump. In 2016 they did, cheering on whatever he said. But in 2024, even they know he sounds like a raging lunatic and no longer post direct clips of him speaking. It’s always sane-washed news articles or clips of Democrat gaffes.

This is probably why people leave his rallies early. It’s the first time they are actually exposed to him speaking.

I thought it was disingenuous to post clips as they weren't representative of the whole.....or at least that's what i was told by prominent leftists on here when Biden was dribbling, and they wanted to try and excuse his decline.

Oh well i guess he just had a bad day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we honestly say that the debate really changed anyone's minds? It's very likely Americans are already decided on who they're going to vote, Trumps supporters are going to believe what he says, Democrats are going to vote for Harris anyway, the most it would have is change the midns of like 60,000 people in inconsequencial states who weren't planning to vote that day going "Eh, might as well"

It's all for show, I do think Harris going for the "Trump is insane" card is the right play, because you can't really deny it, some of the shit he says is funny but it's just starting to become tiring.
Debates in an American electoral context aren't really something you win, but it is absolutely possible to lose them.

Serious question: is using tariffs to protect local industry not traditionally a left wing concept? I feel like unions and left-wing parties wanted to keep the auto industry going in Australia, for example, and it was the RWNJ's who decided it was okay to offshore this stuff because of muh free market. Then covid hit and many of us realised that we should probably have a little bit of local manufacturing independence instead of creating an economy that depends on outsourced slavery 🤷‍♂️
It is a left wing concept. But its one we have been slowly moving away from as it was simply wrong. Low trade barriers improve efficiency, lower real prices and improve standard of living for both net exporters and net importers. The logic and maths is 100 per cent clear cut. If you are concerned about cost of living you need to lower tariffs. Not increase them.

Low trade barriers also arguably increase the incentives for peace between countries.

The one possible justified argument for trade barriers is potentially for geopolitical reasons. I.e from stopping a dictatorship building up its wealth through technology theft and becoming a majority military threat. As a result im not against trade bans on certain sensitive technology between the west and China. But outside that trade should be completely open just like it is within countries.

I thought it was disingenuous to post clips as they weren't representative of the whole.....or at least that's what i was told by prominent leftists on here when Biden was dribbling, and they wanted to try and excuse his decline.

Oh well i guess he just had a bad day.
You do realise by calling that out means what applies then also applies now, yeah? So which is it?

Are both Trump and Biden unfit?

Or are they both having a bad day?

Seems we gave Biden the benefit of the doubt at first, but eventually there was just too much evidence of his decline to ignore.

You are afforded the same luxury - how much evidence of Trump's rambling decline do you need before you release he too is unfit? He sure is having lots of "bad days". Not just projected to be unfit in the coming 4 years, he is unfit now. You'd just need same amount of evidence that you required to pronounce Biden unfit, yeah? Reckon we could probably find more than enough for you if you apply the same standard, just ask, we're here to help.

Remove this Banner Ad

USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Back