VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Chat about Clarke reminds me of West more than anything. Copped a ton of shit, e.g. he was only on the list/people only wanted him picked because of who his father was, selfish, no AFL level traits, etc. Clarke’s clearly a player, but it’ll take time. Small forward can be a pretty tough gig.

I want to see him get another year , too young to write him off just yet, but West definitely showed more AFL traits in those early years.
As you say though, it’s a tough gig in a forward pocket week in week out and performing consistently.

That was exactly my concern before the draft but I’m praying that I’m wrong.
This was my thoughts before the draft also.

However someone posted up his u16 highlights and he looked a different player. Took the game on like I hadn't seen at u18 level. I'm hoping the club can get that out of him, looked like he had more pace back then and certainly used it.
All of this may be true it is still worth noting that we have evidence of him understanding space and executing skills in traffic for someone at his age and the pace of the game not being a weakness of his ... at AFL level.

He's just a natural midfielder in understanding all of the intangibles of stoppage space, picking up the ball, not running himself into traffic.

If the biggest weakness is "he's a backwards-first player", that's fine.

He reminds me a bit of Dyson Heppell, who played a bit of a similar role at his best for Essendon. Heppell was no out-and-out superstar and just had the one outstanding season where he won a B&F and an All-Australian, but he still got 10+ brownlow votes 5 years in a row and was a very good player, before declining off a bit.

He may not be our next Bont or Naughton or out-and-out gun top 10 pick that makes us think "how did [team with earlier draft pick] overlook him, but he's tracking more than fine for his draft slot and year 1 on a list.

All of this may be true it is still worth noting that we have evidence of him understanding space and executing skills in traffic for someone at his age and the pace of the game not being a weakness of his ... at AFL level.

He's just a natural midfielder in understanding all of the intangibles of stoppage space, picking up the ball, not running himself into traffic.

If the biggest weakness is "he's a backwards-first player", that's fine.

He reminds me a bit of Dyson Heppell, who played a bit of a similar role at his best for Essendon. Heppell was no out-and-out superstar and just had the one outstanding season where he won a B&F and an All-Australian, but he still got 10+ brownlow votes 5 years in a row and was a very good player, before declining off a bit.

He may not be our next Bont or Naughton or out-and-out gun top 10 pick that makes us think "how did [team with earlier draft pick] overlook him, but he's tracking more than fine for his draft slot and year 1 on a list.

If you’re comparing our highly touted draft pick to Dyson fking Heppel, I think we’re in trouble.

I've thought the same thing for a long time. I think it could be solved by saying a teammate can't be paid a mark from the kick of a player choosing the 30 second option. That would get rid of time wasting straight away.
Not a bad suggestion but it would penalise the side if the player genuine WAS going for goal and it fell a metre short. A mark taken in the goal square by the attacking team would not be allowed.

There are several ways to skin the cat. Another would be not to allow 30 seconds if the (man on the) mark is outside 50. If you happen to be able to roost it 70m good luck to you. Just do it in 15 seconds.

Do we actually get it at WO or forced to North Port oval?

VFL website does say this in the who finishes where article so I can only presume that it's at Whitten Oval.

"Win in Sydney and put yourself on top, guarantee two Mission Whitten Oval finals and then sit back and relax while the heat is turned up on Werribee."

Do they wait until after wild card weekend to publish the week one schedule?

I would imagine that we'll find out next Monday yeah. I cannot imagine there's anything that would stop us from playing finals at Whitten Oval since it probably has the best infrastructure to support matches of all suburban grounds and any AFLW games during the finals at Whitten Oval are taking place on thursdays or fridays.

Not a bad suggestion but it would penalise the side if the player genuine WAS going for goal and it fell a metre short. A mark taken in the goal square by the attacking team would not be allowed.

There are several ways to skin the cat. Another would be not to allow 30 seconds if the (man on the) mark is outside 50. If you happen to be able to roost it 70m good luck to you. Just do it in 15 seconds.

Reckon a mis kick or not making the distance is then on the player who nominates to take the full 30 and becomes part of the risk.

Another rule I’d like to see trialled is marks not being paid to teammates when the kick has gone backwards. Maybe unless the kick is in attacking 50.

Reckon a mis kick or not making the distance is then on the player who nominates to take the full 30 and becomes part of the risk.

Another rule I’d like to see trialled is marks not being paid to teammates when the kick has gone backwards. Maybe unless the kick is in attacking 50.

They actually trialled that rule once like a decade ago although I think that was in the VFL 2nds. Also I believe it was backward kicks in the defensive half.

They actually trialled that rule once like a decade ago although I think that was in the VFL 2nds. Also I believe it was backward kicks in the defensive half.
an old pre-season rule, a bit like the supergoal and the 3 points for a rushed behind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL had that rule for a little bit, and I think it might have been anything not in the forward 50. I remember watching a game at Williamstown where some bloke tried to kick the ball forward but gave it too much height and the wind literally blew it back behind where he took the kick from. It was marked but called play on.

I'm not sure I want this in the AFL. It'll probably come in though as it creates a mini final that will boost numbers.
I’m the same. The excitement this year was because 10/11/12 didn’t fit into 8. If we were really all just playing for a top 10 spot then that dynamic completely changes.

I’m the same. The excitement this year was because 10/11/12 didn’t fit into 8. If we were really all just playing for a top 10 spot then that dynamic completely changes.

Most years the top 12 is nowhere near this tight, watch them introduce it next year and it's suddenly daylight between 7th and 10th. You're also going to see the same results from the VFL last season where 7th and 8th smashed 9th and 10th and then got smashed and run off the park in the elimination finals.

Most years the top 12 is nowhere near this tight, watch them introduce it next year and it's suddenly daylight between 7th and 10th. You're also going to see the same results from the VFL last season where 7th and 8th smashed 9th and 10th and then got smashed and run off the park in the elimination finals.
I hadn’t thought of that but you’re right it would be an enormous benefit for the Top 6 teams

So the VFL has a wildcard final this weekend- 7 v 10 and 8 v 9.
A Final 10 is necessary though in the VFL because there's 21 teams.

What I don't understand is why it's necessary to have 8 teams having a bye this first week. Maybe you give the top 2 a bye so it wouldn't make a difference for us (you could have a 2x. McIntyre Final Five system where the two winners meet off in the GF). There's also systems in which 5 games are played. Let them play, and also, let teams that finished 5th and 6th a chance to beat one of the top 4 teams in the first week of the finals for an easier path to the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back