List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an interesting point on need vs reaching, and how far you reach.

I am 100% on us only getting outside kids, small forwards and maybe one quick half back.

I don't see the point in getting anyone else.

Inside mids, key forwards, key defenders we have good depth in WAFL.

Edit. Reaching more than 5 picks is very risky, but drafting a key forwards, inside mid or key back is also risky. Hopefully picks fall our way.
We will be lucky to use one of our first round picks for the draft....its time to trade!

I wonder how well they know other clubs rankings.

I guess in the top 10 to 20 they pretty much do.
Seems like there is a reasonable amount of mutual understanding. Twomey gets his top 10 pretty close and there aren't too many taken in the top 20 that are a surprise to him. If he knows that stuff, no doubt the recruiters do too.

Seems like there is a reasonable amount of mutual understanding. Twomey gets his top 10 pretty close and there aren't too many taken in the top 20 that are a surprise to him. If he knows that stuff, no doubt the recruiters do too.
Except when walls bluff Adelaide into thinking we want McAsey so they don’t trade down with the blues.

At least our picks are splitting up a bit.

Just need port to drop a few more games.

Everyday I think Dog they screwed the pooch with that pick. Imagine not having Serong or Young?

That's one of those drafts where Twomey was right. Pretty sure he was high on both all year and somehow they got to 7 and 8.

Ash (who is a good player at least)
Stephens
McAsey

Went 4,5,6 before them. We should be so lucky.

Green
Flanders
Pickett
Day

At 10,11,12,13

The Stephens and McAsey picks are dire. At least the Swans got Chad to make up for it. Crows got Schoenberg and Worrell.

That's one of those drafts where Twomey was right. Pretty sure he was high on both all year and somehow they got to 7 and 8.

Ash (who is a good player at least)
Stephens
McAsey

Went 4,5,6 before them. We should be so lucky.

Green
Flanders
Pickett
Day

At 10,11,12,13

The Stephens and McAsey picks are dire. At least the Swans got Chad to make up for it. Crows got Schoenberg and Worrell.

People talk up Kinnear Beatson, but apart from Warner their draft sucked

Hi Guys, at the moment I'm posting small forward prospects plus all the WA prospects on your board. Feel free to let me know if you'd rather I didn't post WA kids that aren't a positional need.

----

Luke Urquhart continues to push his case to be taken in the first round of the draft with his stellar play in this years Champs series. He was red hot early, seeming to win every center bounce clearance in the opening quarter which lead to WA getting on top in the contest. He was quieter after halftime as WA increasingly got overrun by Metro's greater depth, although he did get involved in a couple of notable and impressive scoring chains. His kicking was off for most of the game, highlighted by some extreme shanks.

Hi Guys, at the moment I'm posting small forward prospects plus all the WA prospects on your board. Feel free to let me know if you'd rather I didn't post WA kids that aren't a positional need.

----

Luke Urquhart continues to push his case to be taken in the first round of the draft with his stellar play in this years Champs series. He was red hot early, seeming to win every center bounce clearance in the opening quarter which lead to WA getting on top in the contest. He was quieter after halftime as WA increasingly got overrun by Metro's greater depth, although he did get involved in a couple of notable and impressive scoring chains. His kicking was off for most of the game, highlighted by some extreme shanks.

Appreciate your efforts.

Small forwards and wa players are perfect.

Line breaking mids is also a need. We lack pace, and elite skills.

Appreciate your efforts.

Small forwards and wa players are perfect.

Line breaking mids is also a need. We lack pace, and elite skills.
The guy that probably fits that description the best is Finn O'Sullivan and he's been injured all season, plus probably unavailable unless you can trade up the order. Sam Lalor is an x-factor mid that's just back from injury and had a big game on the weekend, hovering around or just outside the top 10. I'll post that game here when I've got it ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a lot of his ratings comes through a range of contacts (clubs, players, player managers) etc. He might be a good judge of talent himself but his predictions seem very much a combination of all the information provided to him by his sources. He seems more interested in predicting what's going to happen than giving us his opinion, which imo probably means he's doing his job way better than most footy journos.

Seems a lot of his ratings comes through a range of contacts (clubs, players, player managers) etc. He might be a good judge of talent himself but his predictions seem very much a combination of all the information provided to him by his sources. He seems more interested in predicting what's going to happen than giving us his opinion, which imo probably means he's doing his job way better than most footy journos.
That's definitely how Twomey goes about it, but he's also not trying to claim to be something else.

Its what I like about him. I don't want some dopey journalist's opinion, I want the a summary of the pros which is what Twomey does.

----

I know I asked about Ned Bowman from SA before, but also would you have any package of Jacob Newton as well please? I think those two players would be of interest to people on this board.

I know I asked about Ned Bowman from SA before, but also would you have any package of Jacob Newton as well please? I think those two players would be of interest to people on this board.
Its a fair shout for both of those boys. Newton in particular has shown a lot for SA. The top enders are taking up most of my time while the champs games are coming thick and fast but I'll get around to those two requests once it simmers down a touch.

This week Allan added a few moments of sublime skill to his typical physical and scrappy play round the footy. He's a raw talent, not the finished product at this stage as an onballer, but he creates chaos at stoppage with his size and competitive intensity leading to a high volume of pressure acts. He underlined his potential by kicking two goals in quick succession early in the third quarter, first swooping on a loose ball and snapping truly, and then finishing off a chain of linking, running play for WA with a long straight bomb from outside 50.

This week Allan added a few moments of sublime skill to his typical physical and scrappy play round the footy. He's a raw talent, not the finished product at this stage as an onballer, but he creates chaos at stoppage with his size and competitive intensity leading to a high volume of pressure acts. He underlined his potential by kicking two goals in quick succession early in the third quarter, first swooping on a loose ball and snapping truly, and then finishing off a chain of linking, running play for WA with a long straight bomb from outside 50.

Talk of a top 10 rating is interesting. Attitude and goal kicking are high on the list of sought after attributes by us though.

Offer Erasmus, a first round and the Saints second for the Chad. Accept the rejection.

Then use a first rounder to grab Berry or Kako, use another on Allan.

Trade the other first round pick into next year's draft.

See how Erasmus has developed, but consider Erasmus plus pick(s) for Chad.

Offer Erasmus, a first round and the Saints second for the Chad. Accept the rejection.

Then use a first rounder to grab Berry or Kako, use another on Allan.

Trade the other first round pick into next year's draft.

See how Erasmus has developed, but consider Erasmus plus pick(s) for Chad.
You're making one massive assumption here, which is the Swans can extract value from Erasmus. They already have a great midfield and still have Sheldrick developing. I don't think the Swans is the best place for Ras to go and they would not value him highly.
The best place for Erasmus is Fremantle. Second to that, it's a club that needs young mids like him, e.g. West Coast or Richmond.

You're making one massive assumption here, which is the Swans can extract value from Erasmus. They already have a great midfield and still have Sheldrick developing. I don't think the Swans is the best place for Ras to go and they would not value him highly.
The best place for Erasmus is Fremantle. Second to that, it's a club that needs young mids like him, e.g. West Coast or Richmond.
Not quite. I am accepting that a trade won't get done this year unless we give everything, and even then.....

So I overvalue Erasmus, put him on notice, and inform the AFL universe that he is gettable. Indeed, unless he develops a second position he is depth, so I replace him with Allen.

Allen allows us the flexibility to be creative with Chapman (rotating wing) and Young (rotating forward).

But if as you suggest they are happy to lose Warner and replace with Sheldrick, happy days.

Not quite. I am accepting that a trade won't get done this year unless we give everything, and even then.....

So I overvalue Erasmus, put him on notice, and inform the AFL universe that he is gettable. Indeed, unless he develops a second position he is depth, so I replace him with Allen.

Allen allows us the flexibility to be creative with Chapman (rotating wing) and Young (rotating forward).

But if as you suggest they are happy to lose Warner and replace with Sheldrick, happy days.
One could argue they have Mills still to come back who would replace Warner, so don’t need Ras and Sheldrick to replace him. Might need an Adams replacement soon.

Erasmus isn’t getting a game at Sydney! Come on, let’s be realistic here. They have the best midfield in the comp with ridiculous depth. Even that’s not counting Parker and Mills.

Erasmus on his own would do well to be worth pick 35 at the moment. He has barely played at afl level for the last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back