List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the vic metro and vic country game and I WANT BERRY! Can kick goals from outside 50 too. He is exactly what we need. I would take him with our first first rounder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I will accept this if we take Kako with a later first rounder.

Surely, they both must be a priority for us.

I'm no draft expert so who from some of the draft watches, should we pick up with our first few picks assuming we don't use them on Warner etc

Are they rated mid to late first round?
I think the ESP mock drafts are the most accurate mocks going. . I cant find a July mock but in the most recent June Mock draft both Berry and Koko had climbed in recent times and were listed at 11 and 13 respectively. cahttps://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/40373099/afl-draft-2024-june-power-rankings-basketball-prodigy-alex-dodson-isaac-kako-sid-draper

One if Berry and Kako does seem like a must really. Might take a few years to really get up to speed but defensive goal kicking genuine small forwards are vital and we have none really.
Berry's the one to focus on if pressure/ defensive application is the pressing issue

Berry's the one to focus on if pressure/ defensive application is the pressing issue
He seems like more a Walls pick, but I think it's really the overall package. Need someone who can actually create goals and crumb while at least providing decent pressure. Basically the closer to Kozi the better IMO.

We have no one who can create goals off the ground

I'm no draft expert so who from some of the draft watches, should we pick up with our first few picks assuming we don't use them on Warner etc
Let the Roos, Eagles, Saints, Crows, etc get excited about the draft. Our time is now. We have a war chest of picks to use. Why draft a skinny undersized small forward that takes 3-4 years to develop if we can get one that is already 3-4 years in the system and ready to go now. I am sick of our team every year, year on year only getting excited when it is draft time.

Let the Roos, Eagles, Saints, Crows, etc get excited about the draft. Our time is now. W5e have a war chest of picks to use. Why draft a skinny undersized small forward that takes 3-4 years to develop if we can get one that is already 3-4 years in the system and ready to go now. I am sick of our team every year, year on year only getting excited when it is draft time.
I think top 15 rated smalls can play and make an impact pretty quickly if they are genuinely good. One of the few areas a draftee can impact straight away IMO. Weightman, Kozi and Wizard have all played and been best 22 from day 1. Darcy Jones probably would have if not injured.

I think if we use a first round pick, using it on a small is fine if we can't get Bolton. I'm not big on paying overs in picks and money for a decent but not star level small like a Daniels type.

Down at WAFL colts level yesterday, Basil Hart finding a bit of form. But more importantly for this year, Ryan Bizzell's rapid rise seems to have continued. Futbolista at this stage, what do you think are the odds we pick him up as a Cat B NGA?

Not a lot of vision on him, but this in particular from yesterday.

Down at WAFL colts level yesterday, Basil Hart finding a bit of form. But more importantly for this year, Ryan Bizzell's rapid rise seems to have continued. Futbolista at this stage, what do you think are the odds we pick him up as a Cat B NGA?

Not a lot of vision on him, but this in particular from yesterday.

He is firming as a Fremantle rookie pick by the week. The thing is other clubs must be on to him now. I've moved him up to 17 on the WA board in today's update https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...or-footy-talent.1348673/page-24#post-84398629

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any love for Hamish Davies?
Yep - I think he is a contender for a late 1st or an early 2nd round pick and potentially the first WA player taken. At 190cm and mid 80kg so far, he is a very good mark, decent goal kicker but also a heap of midfield potential with the recent 40 possession in a WAFL game (but also other games where he has racked them up), he also had an okay championships. He could be a player that adds a lot to a team as a difficult matchup at AFL level.

The question mark I have is whether he is a good fit for our team in particular. I like him as an early career Fyfe-like player playing off the half forward flank giving strong aerial contests and providing creativity when the ball hits the deck by hand or foot, but JLo likes fast pressure half forwards that can sneak behind the play and get goals (Berry for me represents an ideal JLo small forward for the style he likes) - Davis is not that type of player. So where would he play? Maybe more as centre half forward the way DeGoey plays that role, but the I feel like Treacy already has that role sown up, with Jackson also a useful type for that. In some regards he is also similar to Erasmus in style (stronger and bigger built though) and I worry he may face the same difficulties that he has in our squad.

Of course half back is always an option....

Let the Roos, Eagles, Saints, Crows, etc get excited about the draft. Our time is now. We have a war chest of picks to use. Why draft a skinny undersized small forward that takes 3-4 years to develop if we can get one that is already 3-4 years in the system and ready to go now. I am sick of our team every year, year on year only getting excited when it is draft time.
I get what you're saying, and I want to get in some ready made players.

But if there aren't good enough options on the market, overpaying for a solid player will hurt us in other areas as they'll cost us more in terms of salary cap.
Only worth it if the production in the next 2-5 years is substantially better.

I went to the Vic Metro vs Vic Country game today.
Lots of lefties on show it seemed.
I did focus more on Country players.
Excuse my player comparisons, & I am not stating they are as good as those players, only to paint a picture for their style of play.
I want Xavier Lindsay!
He reminds me of Errol Gulden. Gets the ball & uses it beautifully. Perfect wing, who can play inside as well. At one point he had a kick at 1/2 back & he only looked for corridor kicks, before executing a scything pass, opening up the game.
Tobie Travaglia is my number 2 want. Great 1/2 back flank. Athletic, great reader of the play & provides drive. Maybe a taller Jordan Clark type.
Joe Berry looks the goods for me. Classy, left footed forward. Smart & stylish. I'm struggling to find a player comparison, but the one that springs to mind is actually Luke Power, from a while back. Just so composed.
I liked Harvey Langford as a big bodied mid who can take a nice mark. Maybe a better kicking Reuben Ginbey?
Yet another lefty (Only Tobie is a righty of the players I mentioned) is Archer Day-Wicks a medium forward who is a Bailey Fritsch type. He didn't do much, but there were glimpses.
For Metro:
Harry Armstrong (another lefty) is an easy pick, with 5 goals, but he was clever. I am convinced he is a Chris Tarrant clone, down to facially being doppelgangers.
OK, here's a righty. I didn't mind Murphy Reid who gave me Callan Ward vibes.

I know lots want Kako, but he didn't win me over. I believe you shouldn't write off a player after 1 game, but you can say yes about a player, so it's not a no, but it is not a yes, yet, IMO.

OK for our draft (if we keep the early picks)
1. Xavier Lindsay (our Vontae Mack pick) - wing
2. Tobie Travaglia - half-back
3. Joe Berry - small forward

If anyone has better player comparisons, please do it, as I have only watched the one game of these guys.

Excuse my player comparisons, & I am not stating they are as good as those players, only to paint a picture for their style of play.
I want Xavier Lindsay!
He reminds me of Errol Gulden. Gets the ball & uses it beautifully. Perfect wing, who can play inside as well. At one point he had a kick at 1/2 back & he only looked for corridor kicks, before executing a scything pass, opening up the game.
Tobie Travaglia is my number 2 want. Great 1/2 back flank. Athletic, great reader of the play & provides drive. Maybe a taller Jordan Clark type.
Joe Berry looks the goods for me. Classy, left footed forward. Smart & stylish. I'm struggling to find a player comparison, but the one that springs to mind is actually Luke Power, from a while back. Just so composed.
I liked Harvey Langford as a big bodied mid who can take a nice mark. Maybe a better kicking Reuben Ginbey?
Yet another lefty (Only Tobie is a righty of the players I mentioned) is Archer Day-Wicks a medium forward who is a Bailey Fritsch type. He didn't do much, but there were glimpses.
For Metro:
Harry Armstrong (another lefty) is an easy pick, with 5 goals, but he was clever. I am convinced he is a Chris Tarrant clone, down to facially being doppelgangers.

I know lots want Kako, but he didn't win me over. I believe you shouldn't write off a player after 1 game, but you can say yes about a player, so it's not a no, but it is not a yes, yet, IMO.

If anyone has better player comparisons, please do it, as I have only watched the one game of these guys.

He is actually a nephew of Chris Tarrant I think someone told me?

I want Xavier Lindsay!
For Metro:

Your 1st two picks match mine. How odd given where they are rated!

I too was extremely impressed with Travaglia. Screams leadership in the backline to me. Just the general all good back lines have. Could do worse than an apprenticeship under Ryan and Pearce too.

Murphy Reid would be my ideal pick at if Collingwood suck enough though. Classy finisher.

*Only full game I have watched.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back