List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Hamling played his best football with Fremantle, Jeremy Sharp is a good call too, Jordan Clark.
Luke McPharlin
Will Brodie had his best season with us.

The ones like Sharp, Clarke, Brodie etc that have improved here are the more recent ones. That tells me the wheel is turning. Years past, we were a retirement or cash cow for players on the decline and that is on the previous admins. I think culturally we are in better position to bring in, especially WA talent, that hasnt peaked yet.

Geelong will always have an advantage in this area as they are part of the larger volume Vic market and they can offer the best of both worlds (close to Melbourne and regional laid back culture) It is what it is.

Natural growth or whatever but Jackson clearly had his best year of his career last year. We need him at that level

Forgot the talls, Jono Griffin played his best footy with us, as did Kepler Bradley even though he wasn't traded

You are going to be very disappointed when we use most of our picks on players instead of drafting. We can keep following the GCS and GWS model of drafting and never achieve anything or the Geelong model who don't over commit to the draft and make finals 12 out of 14 years.
Ummmm GWS has achieved more than us in a shorter period of time? Just by drafting.

I would love to follow the Geelong model.

They are never stupid enough to target contracted players, and then pay overs to get them. Especially for players who are getting paid overs on their current contract.

They target top 20 players in the comp like Dangerfield and Cameron, and get them for unders.

They target free agents, or depth players and get them with late picks.

They target mature age players, identify them brilliantly and then draft them.

How is Bolton similar to what Geelong have done.

The closer trade Geelong have done to Bolton, is trading out Kelly and that turned out brilliant for them
I'm pretty happy with the club targeting Hill, Jackson and Clark. Jackson and Hill may not quite be in the same class as Dangerfield and Cameron but that is a high bar.

And they cop some bash on here but Acres and JOM have been passable too and not unlike some trades Geelong have done for depth.

Trading out of players we have mostly done okay and I would cite Weller, Mayne, Hill and Cerra as higher end trades that have benefited the club.

Where I think we need to emulate Geelong (and other clubs) is in terms of developing 3rd party arrangements for players that broaden the rewards of being a part of our club. They can also sell the fact that they almost routinely play finals which brings additional financial rewards to top players. I really can't see why we can't sit in the top echelon of club's providing these kind of opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty happy with the club targeting Hill, Jackson and Clark. Jackson and Hill may not quite be in the same class as Dangerfield and Cameron but that is a high bar.

And they cop some bash on here but Acres and JOM have been passable too and not unlike some trades Geelong have done for depth.

Trading out of players we have mostly done okay and I would cite Weller, Mayne, Hill and Cerra as higher end trades that have benefited the club.

Where I think we need to emulate Geelong (and other clubs) is in terms of developing 3rd party arrangements for players that broaden the rewards of being a part of our club. They can also sell the fact that they almost routinely play finals which brings additional financial rewards to top players. I really can't see why we can't sit in the top echelon of club's providing these kind of opportunities.

With out doubt we overpaid for Jackson. We paid a lot more than Geelong did for either Dangerfield, or Cameron.

Clark has been good, better than I thought he would be.

We got Hill at the wrong time - starting a rebuild, not topping up. Lucky for us St Kilda paid more for him.
JOM was probably contracted for a year too many. I don't know what role we targetted JOM for, but it appears to be a square peg, round hole issue.

I am all for trading out players during a rebuild, I think you can get some valuable picks this way. I hate bringing in players during a rebuild, especially C Grade players like Kersten, Colyer, etc. I think they offer nothing, a mature age recruit could not offer.

I am all for targeting players to fill gaps, but it rarely works to get contracted players. You always pay overs, and they very rarely help you win a flag. Kelly and Gibbs come to my mind. The only way we can make it fair, is to do both of the following

1. Be prepared to walk away.
2. Richmond badly want picks, and we play our cards very well.

I doubt we can pull it off.

It’s been mentioned by a few that we have had multiple interviews with Berry and Shanahan.

Given our lack of small forwards, I see Berry as a good option, unless we get something in trade period. Yeh yeh You know Pickett etc.

Shanahan looks a good tall forward option, to develop. Since we have delisted Kuek, Corbett, and Tabs… developing key forward makes sense as well.

And with only 3 times as many first rounders in less than half the time in the league. What a beacon they are for us.
So brave.

And with only 3 times as many first rounders in less than half the time in the league. What a beacon they are for us.
I love the ammo these finals gave me in this argument as well. GWS, the beacon of success, with three all time chokes 2 years in a row and one of the worst GF performances of all time...

Well overall we are probably pretty similar as far as # of finals played. We've both played one gf and 3 prelim's?

Total score:

Fremantle 17 finals, 3 prelims, 1 GF, no flags, 1 spoon
GWS 18 finals, 4 prelims, 1 GF, no flags, 2 spoons

But they also had more first round picks that Fremantle ever by the time the 2015 draft was over. Seventeen years of draft picks in five years.

It’s been mentioned by a few that we have had multiple interviews with Berry and Shanahan.

Given our lack of small forwards, I see Berry as a good option, unless we get something in trade period. Yeh yeh You know Pickett etc.

Shanahan looks a good tall forward option, to develop. Since we have delisted Kuek, Corbett, and Tabs… developing key forward makes sense as well.
The club is being a bit shadowy with the status of our developing rucks, especially Knobel. There may be nothing in it, but if it is part of a strategy to grab Gerreyn then I'm ok with it.

Depth in decent 1st rucks is a problem if they are any good, but multi-positional talls could be a better investment. And a future pairing of Jackson and Gerreyn could be a great combo

With out doubt we overpaid for Jackson. We paid a lot more than Geelong did for either Dangerfield, or Cameron.

Clark has been good, better than I thought he would be.

We got Hill at the wrong time - starting a rebuild, not topping up. Lucky for us St Kilda paid more for him.
JOM was probably contracted for a year too many. I don't know what role we targetted JOM for, but it appears to be a square peg, round hole issue.

I am all for trading out players during a rebuild, I think you can get some valuable picks this way. I hate bringing in players during a rebuild, especially C Grade players like Kersten, Colyer, etc. I think they offer nothing, a mature age recruit could not offer.

I am all for targeting players to fill gaps, but it rarely works to get contracted players. You always pay overs, and they very rarely help you win a flag. Kelly and Gibbs come to my mind. The only way we can make it fair, is to do both of the following

1. Be prepared to walk away.
2. Richmond badly want picks, and we play our cards very well.

I doubt we can pull it off.
I think we are going to get around 5 years more service, including his prime years, out of Jackson than Geelong get from either of those recruits.

Hill wasn't brought in during a rebuild, but for what we paid for him, who cares. He was a bargain. He was traded out during a rebuild: perfect timing. Classic example of buy low sell high.

Whinging about players like Kersten and Colyer is legit but is very much a small change argument. Geelong have recruited experienced players like Stevens, Dalhaus, Henderson and Jenkins who have been nothing players for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back