List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I too was extremely impressed with Travaglia. Screams leadership in the backline to me. Just the general all good back lines have. Could do worse than an apprenticeship under Ryan and Pearce too.

Murphy Reid would be my ideal pick at if Collingwood suck enough though. Classy finisher.

*Only full game I have watched.

Murphy Reid He has really good burst speed and can play forward.. I think he'd be the player I'd currently select with our first pick.

I too was extremely impressed with Travaglia. Screams leadership in the backline to me. Just the general all good back lines have. Could do worse than an apprenticeship under Ryan and Pearce too.

Murphy Reid would be my ideal pick at if Collingwood suck enough though. Classy finisher.

We currently hold picks 7 (Collingwoods) 10 (Port Adelelaide) and pick 14. (ours). Plus we have the Saints second rounder which is Pick 24 currently. I'd love Reid, Travaglia and Berry as a trio. Travaglia could very likely end up a wingman or a Luke Ryan replacement so he covers two possible bases. Him and Reid are two pf the best kicks in the draft and both have explosive speed as does Berry. Reid could start his career forward as he has played forward a fair bit and he would add crumbing ability to our forward line but then become a fast inside player who can burst from centre clearances later on.

I 100% agree with you.

I reckon Lindsay will be a gun. Don't see a weakness to his game. Maybe size.

Players like Lindsay and Travaglia are why I like to remind people that there are small forwards not named Berry and Kako to pick up later.

Lindsay in particular might be the finishing touch to our midfield.

Players like Lindsay and Travaglia are why I like to remind people that there are small forwards not named Berry and Kako to pick up later.

Lindsay in particular might be the finishing touch to our midfield.
If the Collingwood pick ended up where it is now at pick 7 who do you think we'd take? I think Murphy Reid would be a very good pick for us. He could actually start his afl career as a small forward and move into the midfield in a year or so. I love his pace and kicking skills.

I went to the Vic Metro vs Vic Country game today.
Lots of lefties on show it seemed.
I did focus more on Country players.
Excuse my player comparisons, & I am not stating they are as good as those players, only to paint a picture for their style of play.
I want Xavier Lindsay!
He reminds me of Errol Gulden. Gets the ball & uses it beautifully. Perfect wing, who can play inside as well. At one point he had a kick at 1/2 back & he only looked for corridor kicks, before executing a scything pass, opening up the game.
Tobie Travaglia is my number 2 want. Great 1/2 back flank. Athletic, great reader of the play & provides drive. Maybe a taller Jordan Clark type.
Joe Berry looks the goods for me. Classy, left footed forward. Smart & stylish. I'm struggling to find a player comparison, but the one that springs to mind is actually Luke Power, from a while back. Just so composed.
I liked Harvey Langford as a big bodied mid who can take a nice mark. Maybe a better kicking Reuben Ginbey?
Yet another lefty (Only Tobie is a righty of the players I mentioned) is Archer Day-Wicks a medium forward who is a Bailey Fritsch type. He didn't do much, but there were glimpses.
For Metro:
Harry Armstrong (another lefty) is an easy pick, with 5 goals, but he was clever. I am convinced he is a Chris Tarrant clone, down to facially being doppelgangers.
OK, here's a righty. I didn't mind Murphy Reid who gave me Callan Ward vibes.

I know lots want Kako, but he didn't win me over. I believe you shouldn't write off a player after 1 game, but you can say yes about a player, so it's not a no, but it is not a yes, yet, IMO.

OK for our draft (if we keep the early picks)
1. Xavier Lindsay (our Vontae Mack pick) - wing
2. Tobie Travaglia - half-back
3. Joe Berry - small forward

If anyone has better player comparisons, please do it, as I have only watched the one game of these guys.
How did you rate Sam Lalor?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the Collingwood pick ended up where it is now at pick 7 who do you think we'd take? I think Murphy Reid would be a very good pick for us. He could actually start his afl career as a small forward and move into the midfield in a year or so. I love his pace and kicking skills.

I’d be happy with either. As you say, Reid could offer that forward ability too.

But if I had to go just one, I’d go with Lindsay at the moment. He’s so clean, not many would be a better kick. He’d add speed and class to our midfield. And could start off wing or behind the ball and add a lot to our team.

How did you rate Sam Lalor?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was not impressed, apart from one really good mark, but I may have missed some of his work.
He came across as a bit of a man-child to me, but I could really be underselling him. I have only given my opinion on him, since you asked, but again, I believe you can yes after only one game, but you can't say no after 1 game.
Here is an example of me making that error. I saw Shai Bolton play in a VFL grand final & it was my first viewing of him.
After that game I wrote him off, but that has been shown to be a really bad call.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lindsay and I don't think it is close personally.
Reid's a good kick but yeah Lindsay's in my opinion would be one of the best long kick in the draft with Travaglia and Draper judging by the footage Ive seen. I really like Lindsay and Reid though. I'd love Reid, Lindsay and either Berry or Koko to be our draft picks with the first rounders. It would be a great injection of skill and pace to our list. Currently in the mocks not many have Lindsay in the top 15 picks surprisingly.

Last edited:
Small forwards. I know it's what we all want...

I won't go on about Joe Berry and Isaac Kako much, they're getting spoken about enough as it is. I personally have Berry around the 15 mark, Kako coming in slightly later around 20 - but they could perhaps go higher on needs. Kako is more opportunistic and 'fun', otherwise Berry has him covered everywhere else. He'd be my pick if I was using a first rounder on a small forward.

One interesting player for us is Tom Gross from Vic Metro. Probably plays his best football as a tough inside mid, but can play forward and seems to fit a lot of what we value. Throws himself in everything, tough, defensive pressure is high. Has good speed and impact value through the midfield, just not always the cleanest with his disposal. Might seem an underwhelming comparison, but Luke Pedlar from Adelaide went mid first round in his draft year and actually had a decent year last season. Gross does have more exposed form though, and there's also hints of Toby Greene in him - especially the way he goes for overhead marks.

Can't forget Malakai Champion, the West Coast NGA player. He's as purely talented as any, perhaps even more so than the others. Season so far has been good, great in stints but hasn't quite put a whole game together. I think he still fits in the 30 range.

Jesse Dattoli out of Vic Metro has had a pretty good year, 179cm half forward who has also spent time through the midfield and out on a wing. Has a tendency to try to do too much with the ball and can turn it over, but it's also not the worst trait - I do like smalls backing themselves in. He's very quick and always on the move, things just seem to happen when he's near the ball. A bit Switkowski like in that regard, just less refined. And one more from Vic Country, Rhys Unwin has returned from an ankle injury and could push up the draft boards with a good end to the season. Another with good speed, crafty in the forward 50.

And I've mentioned the SA smalls before. But Jacob Newton is in the Berry mould, whereas Evan Bradley and Benny Barrett are more the Kako type crumbing forwards. They've also got a couple of really solid mids in Phoenix Hargrave and Kade Herbert who may project more as forwards at the top level. There's a few late draft SA smalls who've made good careers for themselves in the last few years - Harvey Harrison, Brad Close, Kade Chandler.

Who knows what we do with our draft hand, especially if our early picks fall inside the top 10. But there's options throughout the whole draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine drafting Lindsay, Travaglia and Berry/Kako. A not impossible outcome given our hand.

Lindsay looks more to be a 30-40 pick, we could get him with St Kilda's pick if we were keen pretty safely.

Interesting, looking at DAvo's July rankings Hotton could slip past pick 10 and surely with 3 picks you could take a risk on him.

Tavaglia is the dash defender some have been asking for.

Christian Moraes is an outside, goal kicking mid.

Everyone knows about Berry and Kako, but assuming the draft rankings hold I would be happy to take the best 2 players (Quick, good skills is a must) with our first 2 picks, and then try to get Berry with our 3rd pick, and Kako or maybe Champion with the St Kilda 2nd rounder.

July 2024 Rankings - Top 51

1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh (VC) - 182cm
2. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham (Bris FS) - 179cm
3. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A - 178cm
4. Sid Draper - Sth Adel - 180cm
5. Josh Smillie - Eastern - 194cm
6. Jonty Faull - GWV - 195cm
7. Luke Trainor - Sandringham - 194cm
8. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo - 187cm
9. Harry O'Farrell - Calder - 196cm
10. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh - 181cm
11. Taj Hotton - Sandringham - 182cm (acl injury)
12. Josh Murphy - Murray - 190cm
13. Tyler Welsh - WWT (Adel FS)- 191cm
14. Christian Moraes - Eastern - 183cm
15. Murphy Reid - Sandringham - 180cm
16. Jack Whitlock - Murray - 200cm
17. Harvey Langford - Dandenong - 190cm
18. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 186cm
19. Sam Marshall - Sandringham (Bris A) - 185cm
20. Sam Lalor - GWV - 187cm
21. Bo Allan - Peel - 191cm
22. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 185cm
23. Joe Berry - Murray - 180cm
24. Tom Gross - Oakleigh - 181cm
25. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo - 194cm
26. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong - 190cm
27. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel - 182cm
28. Kayle Gerreyn - West Perth - 199cm
29. Thomas Sims - Northern - 199cm
30. Matt Whitlock - Murray - 197cm

Small forwards. I know it's what we all want...

I won't go on about Joe Berry and Isaac Kako much, they're getting spoken about enough as it is. I personally have Berry around the 15 mark, Kako coming in slightly later around 20 - but they could perhaps go higher on needs. Kako is more opportunistic and 'fun', otherwise Berry has him covered everywhere else. He'd be my pick if I was using a first rounder on a small forward.

One interesting player for us is Tom Gross from Vic Metro. Probably plays his best football as a tough inside mid, but can play forward and seems to fit a lot of what we value. Throws himself in everything, tough, defensive pressure is high. Has good speed and impact value through the midfield, just not always the cleanest with his disposal. Might seem an underwhelming comparison, but Luke Pedlar from Adelaide went mid first round in his draft year and actually had a decent year last season. Gross does have more exposed form though, and there's also hints of Toby Greene in him - especially the way he goes for overhead marks.

Can't forget Malakai Champion, the West Coast NGA player. He's as purely talented as any, perhaps even more so than the others. Season so far has been good, great in stints but hasn't quite put a whole game together. I think he still fits in the 30 range.

Jesse Dattoli out of Vic Metro has had a pretty good year, 179cm half forward who has also spent time through the midfield and out on a wing. Has a tendency to try to do too much with the ball and can turn it over, but it's also not the worst trait - I do like smalls backing themselves in. He's very quick and always on the move, things just seem to happen when he's near the ball. A bit Switkowski like in that regard, just less refined. And one more from Vic Country, Rhys Unwin has returned from an ankle injury and could push up the draft boards with a good end to the season. Another with good speed, crafty in the forward 50.

And I've mentioned the SA smalls before. But Jacob Newton is in the Berry mould, whereas Evan Bradley and Benny Barrett are more the Kako type crumbing forwards. They've also got a couple of really solid mids in Phoenix Hargrave and Kade Herbert who may project more as forwards at the top level. There's a few late draft SA smalls who've made good careers for themselves in the last few years - Harvey Harrison, Brad Close, Kade Chandler.

Who knows what we do with our draft hand, especially if our early picks fall inside the top 10. But there's options throughout the whole draft.
I think Walls would obviously be aware of the small forwrads available. It wouldn't surprisd me if he felt this was good depth in small forwards we went with one as late as the Saints pick and our 4th rounder. If Lindsay's on the board with our last 1st rounder he would be very hard to pass on as would an elite kicking mid who can start their career as a forward with our 1st 2 picks.

Imagine drafting Lindsay, Travaglia and Berry/Kako. A not impossible outcome given our hand.
People need to stop being seduced by mids, we have multiple on the list who can't even get a game. Unless there's a midfielder too good to refuse, we need forwards and game winners. Walters is retiring, Sturt is not guaranteed to reach his potential, Banners may explore elsewhere, and JOM is a role player that's getting old.

People need to stop being seduced by mids, we have multiple on the list who can't even get a game.

Do we though? We have a one dimensional mid in Brodie and then Erasmus. That’s almost it. O’Driscoll and Stanley have been non factors unfortunately due to injury. From there, it would be shuffling things to get Worner in to the side.

But theoretically if we’re picking first round, the midfielder probably is too good to refuse.

If we had better midfield depth, then the likes of Fyfe, O’Meara and even Aish wouldn’t be walk up starts anymore.

I say this as someone who has wanted us to draft more small and medium forwards for years.

Do we though? We have a one dimensional mid in Brodie and then Erasmus. That’s almost it. O’Driscoll and Stanley have been non factors unfortunately due to injury. From there, it would be shuffling things to get Worner in to the side.

But theoretically if we’re picking first round, the midfielder probably is too good to refuse.

If we had better midfield depth, then the likes of Fyfe, O’Meara and even Aish wouldn’t be walk up starts anymore.

I say this as someone who has wanted us to draft more small and medium forwards for years.

Agree Chris. Very happy for us to draft a mid, providing they can add some speed and class, to complement our existing players.

I think drafting an inside mid, or a mid with questionable skills would be a poor decision.

People need to stop being seduced by mids, we have multiple on the list who can't even get a game. Unless there's a midfielder too good to refuse, we need forwards and game winners. Walters is retiring, Sturt is not guaranteed to reach his potential, Banners may explore elsewhere, and JOM is a role player that's getting old.

I'm not really sure what you are getting at? Are you saying I am too interested in Lindsay? The other 3 players are not mids and Lindsay is 50:50 mid/def???

I have Lindsay at #6.
Mock drafts this far out are always wrong. Ive followed them for years now. Some examples include Andrew Brayshaw being around 20-30 for most of his draft year or Griffin Logue being around 20 for him. Or the reverse in terms of players going later than expected this with Ashton Moir who was in the top 10 for much of last year but drifted a lot late.

Obviously some players who rise late do well at the Draft Combine testing. Lindsay strikes me as someone who'll be elite in sprint and kicking testing.

My tip for a late riser who I think has some outstanding athletic traits is Joshua Murphy who's a 190cm forward that's very quick on the lead from the limited footage Ive seen and also a great kick. What are your thoughts on where he'll get drafted?

Last edited:

You need to think of the full picture. Realistically, Young, Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy, Sharp, and Johnson are all cemented in b22 and will not give up their spot unless injured. The only spot up for grabs is Fyfe's spot. If the club is confident on Warner there is zero room left because we are already playing an extra mid in JOM. I doubt anyone plays more then eight mids so we are already at capacity. Don't forget Chapman will probably move to the midfield next year in some capacity, and we also need to squeeze in Simpson. Unless there is a mid too good to pass on, we should be drafting forwards and moving our picks into next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back