List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't recall a top 10 that is still so fluid in movement of players at this stage of the year.

I said in the draft target thread, by the time our first pick comes around - it is possible that a player left on the board will be someone else's top 1 or 2 players. I was really hoping that would be Draper as I could see Adelaide doing something silly to grab him if they don't use their first on him but he is on the rise.

If we do use a first .....being a midfielder from Victoria is a very likely bet.

You need to think of the full picture. Realistically, Young, Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy, Sharp, and Johnson are all cemented in b22 and will not give up their spot unless injured. The only spot up for grabs is Fyfe's spot. If the club is confident on Warner there is zero room left because we are already playing an extra mid in JOM. Don't forget we will also need to squeeze in Simpson next year. Unless there is a mid too good to pass on we should be drafting forwards and moving our picks into next year.
Geez. Condescending much 'You need to think of the full picture'.and to the poster with the most draft knowledge of anyone here. Actually the exact opposite of what you are saying is true. So many times in the past where we have gone for best player available its worked out well in the long rung. Eg. Fyfe, Neale, Chapman and Serong for example.

But seriously do better than that rubbish post. You have massive form being condescending on topics you clearly have very limited knowledge about all over bigfooty and yes I haven't mistaken you for someone else with my view.

Snuff….
Not a source, it's just all these talks of lining up all these draftees and it seems extremely hopeful. We clearly don't want to keep drafting a the moment and some team will bite on the haul we have.

To avoid complete disappointment, pick one player you like, maybe two if your lucky but there is just too much media stuff on us throwing money and picks around

You need to think of the full picture. Realistically, Young, Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy, Sharp, and Johnson are all cemented in b22 and will not give up their spot unless injured. The only spot up for grabs is Fyfe's spot. If the club is confident on Warner there is zero room left because we are already playing an extra mid in JOM. I doubt anyone plays more then eight mids so we are already at capacity. Don't forget Chapman will probably move to the midfield next year in some capacity, and we also need to squeeze in Simpson. Unless there is a mid too good to pass on, we should be drafting forwards and moving our picks into next year.

Warner is the wild card obviously. If we're 100% that he'll come, I'd happily sell everything.

But my thinking is regardless we're missing one piece in the midfield. That guy with speed and skills, who can compliment Sharp on the other wing and go inside for impact. And these players are generally going to be high draft picks, and I suspect we don't plan on having any more top 10 picks for a while. If we pick someone good enough to keep Chapman at half back, then that's a win.

My thinking at the moment would be pick best available (probably a mid) with our first pick, trade our second pick to next year on draft night and then see what happens with our remaining first rounder - with the view to use that on a forward (if we don't use it in trade week). And then any other picks can all be small and medium forwards after that.

Geez. Condescending much 'You need to think of the full picture'.and to the poster with the most draft knowledge of anyone here. Actually the exact opposite of what you are saying is true. So many times in the past where we have gone for best player available its worked out well in the long rung. Eg. Fyfe, Neale, Chapman and Serong for example.

But seriously do better than that rubbish post. You have massive form being condescending on topics you clearly have very limited knowledge about all over bigfooty and yes I haven't mistaken you for someone else with my view.
Geezus Sheriff if you get offended by other people's opinions on a footy board then that's probably a sign you need to stop taking things so seriously in life lmao. I apologise to anyone if I come across as condescending in any of my posts because that is definitely not my intention. I am a footy nuffie like the rest of us so I don't know any better then anyone else here. I am a very open minded individual so while I may express my opinions confidently, I encourage people to challenge them and to express their own (which is what Chris25 has done) because that is how we learn and develop as humans. At the end of the day Big Footy is just a bit of fun so let's move on from this nonsense.

And these players are generally going to be high draft picks, and I suspect we don't plan on having any more top 10 picks for a while. If we pick someone good enough to keep Chapman at half back, then that's a win.
You know what, I didn't think of it from that perspective. If we are truly in the window then we are about to have some very boring drafts coming up (which is a good problem to have). I'm worried about moving Chappy to the midfield because of his soft tissue injuries but we will need to replacing his silkiness if he does move. Are there any that fit that mould in this draft? I suppose we could play a mid in his role to develop them like Sheezel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geezus Sheriff if you get offended by other people's opinions on a footy board then that's probably a sign you need to stop taking things so seriously in life lmao. I apologise to anyone if I come across as condescending in any of my posts because that is definitely not my intention. I am a footy nuffie like the rest of us so I don't know any better then anyone else here. I am a very open minded individual so while I may express my opinions confidently, I encourage people to challenge them and to express their own (which is what Chris25 has done) because that is how we learn and develop as humans. At the end of the day Big Footy is just a bit of fun so let's move on from this nonsense.
Im commenting on your views which is what bigfootuy is all about. Asking someone to show a basic level of respect to others when presenting their views online isnt any different to asking someone to do the same in the real world. You don't have to be condescending when presenting your views. You have form doing that.

Last edited:
Im commenting on your views which is what bigfootuy is all about Asking someone to show a basic level of respect to others when presenting their views online isnt any different to asking someone to do the same in the real world. You don't have to be a condescending twat when presenting your views. You have form doing that.
There is a certain irony in asking someone to show respect and then calling them a condescending twat 😂. Anyways if that is your response after reading my post there is no point on discussing this further. Let's move on shall we Mr Sheriff.

I just hope we don't just trade someone in for trading sake. They need to be a significant upgrade on what we have.

I'm with you.

I'd rather take/roll our picks than bid for someone who randomly wants to come home.

Perfect scenario for me would be to secure 1 of our high profile trade targets (minimum 2 pick cost) but still keep a first rounder and grab a kid like a Moraes or Jagga Smith (or sneak a Otis Harvey in).

If they are good enough then they will force their way in
In place of Treacy, Amiss or Jackson?

It makes absolutely no sense to pick a KPP player unless they are literally generational, like Buddy or Pav. It's a terrible allocation of resources. You can pick best available at the start of a build because you need everything. It's a fair bit more nuanced when you have most of the team.

You know what, I didn't think of it from that perspective. If we are truly in the window then we are about to have some very boring drafts coming up (which is a good problem to have). I'm worried about moving Chappy to the midfield because of his soft tissue injuries but we will need to replacing his silkiness if he does move. Are there any that fit that mould in this draft? I suppose we could play a mid in his role to develop them like Sheezel.
Chappy has struggled a bit in the last couple of weeks playing on the likes of Bolton and even one armed Sicily. Would he be better to play up on a wing where he would not need to be defensively as much one on one.

Chappy has struggled a bit in the last couple of weeks playing on the likes of Bolton and even one armed Sicily. Would he be better to play up on a wing where he would not need to be defensively as much one on one.
Tbf Walker would have taken care of Bolton if he wasn't injured. Chappy's defence is not the strongest but he sets up a lot of our attacking chains from d50 which is why I'm reluctant to move him!

Small forwards. I know it's what we all want...

I won't go on about Joe Berry and Isaac Kako much, they're getting spoken about enough as it is. I personally have Berry around the 15 mark, Kako coming in slightly later around 20 - but they could perhaps go higher on needs. Kako is more opportunistic and 'fun', otherwise Berry has him covered everywhere else. He'd be my pick if I was using a first rounder on a small forward.

One interesting player for us is Tom Gross from Vic Metro. Probably plays his best football as a tough inside mid, but can play forward and seems to fit a lot of what we value. Throws himself in everything, tough, defensive pressure is high. Has good speed and impact value through the midfield, just not always the cleanest with his disposal. Might seem an underwhelming comparison, but Luke Pedlar from Adelaide went mid first round in his draft year and actually had a decent year last season. Gross does have more exposed form though, and there's also hints of Toby Greene in him - especially the way he goes for overhead marks.

Can't forget Malakai Champion, the West Coast NGA player. He's as purely talented as any, perhaps even more so than the others. Season so far has been good, great in stints but hasn't quite put a whole game together. I think he still fits in the 30 range.

Jesse Dattoli out of Vic Metro has had a pretty good year, 179cm half forward who has also spent time through the midfield and out on a wing. Has a tendency to try to do too much with the ball and can turn it over, but it's also not the worst trait - I do like smalls backing themselves in. He's very quick and always on the move, things just seem to happen when he's near the ball. A bit Switkowski like in that regard, just less refined. And one more from Vic Country, Rhys Unwin has returned from an ankle injury and could push up the draft boards with a good end to the season. Another with good speed, crafty in the forward 50.

And I've mentioned the SA smalls before. But Jacob Newton is in the Berry mould, whereas Evan Bradley and Benny Barrett are more the Kako type crumbing forwards. They've also got a couple of really solid mids in Phoenix Hargrave and Kade Herbert who may project more as forwards at the top level. There's a few late draft SA smalls who've made good careers for themselves in the last few years - Harvey Harrison, Brad Close, Kade Chandler.

Who knows what we do with our draft hand, especially if our early picks fall inside the top 10. But there's options throughout the whole draft.
Feng Shui would not allow Unwin and Amiss in the same forward line Chris25.

My untrained eye is thinking Berry could be the cherry on top. He is the better forward/goal kicker. If he is gone around where we value him, then turn an eye towards the others. Gross and Treacy = look out!

Surely we have enough smaller types developing with midfield/forward potential already: Simpson, Stanley and Delean.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back