List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Best:T Whan, O Keleman, I Starr, M Rank, N Davidson
The more spoken about NGAs seemed to face the exact opposite issues in their respective Colts games. For South Freo, Whan played well but the fwds spurned their chances. Also I didn't realise Whan was so solidly built for a bottom ager.

For Peel, they got dominated by Perth territorially, but when Bizzell and Hart got given a shot, they did damage, especially for Bizzell in the beginning of the 3rd qtr.

Interesting discussion on Irish recruits. Who do we consider the best? For mine, the top 3 are Zach Tuohy, Jimmy Stynes and Tadhg Kennelly. (And yes, I did need to google to get those spellings.)
Pearce Hanley played 170 games for Brisbane mostly and GC. Was a very decent player at a time the lions were struggling.
Conor Nash and Mark Keane two of the more promising young current Irish guys.

Berry's recent shift into the midfield has given draft watchers a lot to think about. He's not a prolific clearance winner at this stage, but his elite evasive skills allow him to navigate traffic from inside to out and convert stoppage wins by his team into damaging possessions. He still splits his time between midfield and his old forward role, and remains one of the most damaging players in this years pool inside the forward 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry's recent shift into the midfield has given draft watchers a lot to think about. He's not a prolific clearance winner at this stage, but his elite evasive skills allow him to navigate traffic from inside to out and convert stoppage wins by his team into damaging possessions. He still splits his time between midfield and his old forward role, and remains one of the most damaging players in this years pool inside the forward 50.

Fox now has him at number 11, we’d need to keep the pies pick to secure him given both Ashcroft and Lombard were in their top 10, so that’s live pick 9

For 2025, the main changes will be:

• The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.
  • Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.
For 2026, the main change will be:

• Live trading will be introduced for the 2026 mid-season rookie draft, allowing clubs to move up and down in the order or trade into the draft using end of year selections.

20% reduced to 10% discount. That's lame, just eliminate the discount altogether. Very keen to see the new points allocation. Only points up to pick 54 now. They've cut, but not sure they've cut hard enough. Seems like they're taking a conservative approach. Still not going to be expensive enough is my early thoughts, but certainly better than it was.

Even worse, not implemented till next year FMD. Brisbane, Carlton and Essendon whooping for joy.

20% reduced to 10% discount. That's lame, just eliminate the discount altogether. Very keen to see the new points allocation. Only points up to pick 54 now. They've cut, but not sure they've cut hard enough. Seems like they're taking a conservative approach. Still not going to be expensive enough is my early thoughts, but certainly better than it was.

Even worse, not implemented till next year FMD. Brisbane, Carlton and Essendon whooping for joy.
Agreed. Extremely conservative approach. Will be so easy to get the points

I think it will work out for us though, 2025 and 2026 NGA look very good for us. They can tighten up after that

For 2025, the main changes will be:

• The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.
  • Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.
For 2026, the main change will be:

• Live trading will be introduced for the 2026 mid-season rookie draft, allowing clubs to move up and down in the order or trade into the draft using end of year selections.
Totally caved in to pressure from the blues who stockpiled F4 round picks last year to match bids for the campo twins, if it was freo they would have said “too bad so sad” and introduced it this year, those boys don’t even look that good and the real winner will be Brisbane with 2 academy kids in the first round.

Totally caved in to pressure from the blues who stockpiled F4 round picks last year to match bids for the campo twins, if it was freo they would have said “too bad so sad” and introduced it this year, those boys don’t even look that good and the real winner will be Brisbane with 2 academy kids in the first round.

Yes it’s Carlton so **** them, but this is a fair decision.

Unfortunately we’ll be paying more for Whan, Hart in 2025 and Morrison in 2026…given we have to pay for Warner that’s a concern.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see at least one of the first this year moved to next year in some fashion

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back