List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not recommending him as the best draft observer, but, Marc McGowan has done a top 30 in The Age.

Picks 9-18 look pretty juicy to me. To trade out of this draft I would want a very good deal
  1. Jagga Smith
  2. Levi Ashcroft
  3. Finn O’Sullivan
  4. Josh Smilie
  5. Sam Lalor
  6. Sid Draper
  7. Luke Trainor
  8. Harry Armstrong
  9. Bo Allan
  10. Xavier Lyndsay
  11. Harvey Langford
  12. Kako
  13. Tobie Travaglia
  14. Leo Lombard
  15. Taj Hotton
  16. Joe Berry
  17. Murphy Reid
  18. Christian Moraes
  19. Alexzander Tauru
  20. Alex Dodson
  21. Jobe Shanahan
  22. Jack Whitlock
  23. Jesse Datoli
  24. Tom Gross
  25. Harrison Oliver
  26. Jonty Faull
  27. Thomas Sims
  28. Sam Marshall
  29. Matt Whitlock
  30. Noah Mraz

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-year-s-afl-draft-class-20240724-p5jw84.html

I am not recommending him as the best draft observer, but, Marc McGowan has done a top 30 in The Age.

Picks 9-18 look pretty juicy to me. To trade out of this draft I would want a very good deal
  1. Jagga Smith
  2. Levi Ashcroft
  3. Finn O’Sullivan
  4. Josh Smilie
  5. Sam Lalor
  6. Sid Draper
  7. Luke Trainor
  8. Harry Armstrong
  9. Bo Allan
  10. Xavier Lyndsay
  11. Harvey Langford
  12. Kako
  13. Tobie Travaglia
  14. Leo Lombard
  15. Taj Hotton
  16. Joe Berry
  17. Murphy Reid
  18. Christian Moraes
  19. Alexzander Tauru
  20. Alex Dodson
  21. Jobe Shanahan
  22. Jack Whitlock
  23. Jesse Datoli
  24. Tom Gross
  25. Harrison Oliver
  26. Jonty Faull
  27. Thomas Sims
  28. Sam Marshall
  29. Matt Whitlock
  30. Noah Mraz

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-year-s-afl-draft-class-20240724-p5jw84.html
Apologies to the former Premier but my top 15 is definitely more accurate

Harvey Langford
Jagga Smith
Levi Ashcroft
Finn O'Sullivan
Sid Draper
Josh Smillie
Tobie Travaglia
Bo Allan
Xavier Lindsay
Isaac Kako
Luke Trainor
Joe Berry
Leonardo Lombard
Sam Lalor
Murphy Reid

Apologies to the former Premier but my top 15 is definitely more accurate

Harvey Langford
Jagga Smith
Levi Ashcroft
Finn O'Sullivan
Sid Draper
Josh Smillie
Tobie Travaglia
Bo Allan
Xavier Lindsay
Isaac Kako
Luke Trainor
Joe Berry
Leonardo Lombard
Sam Lalor
Murphy Reid
Yeah but I'm more interested in us getting a shot at Langford than I am in being accurate.

If we’re getting Bolton why do we need him so he can sit at Peel before requesting a trade back home.

Don’t know if you’ve noticed but we have three players who aren’t very good playing small roles.

Berry looks very, very good and Bolton will slot in nicely

If we’re getting Bolton why do we need him so he can sit at Peel before requesting a trade back home.

How many Bolton's are we getting?

Banfield, Walters, Frederick, O'Meara could all be upgraded. I don't think Bolton is a small forward anyway, so Berry could replace Walters, and Bolton replace Banfield.

That’s all good but if we trade in Bolton i don’t reckon we’re drafting Berry could be wrong though.

I’d probably agree. If we were to spend probably two early picks to bring a forward half player like Bolton in, I doubt we’d then use a first on a small forward too. Especially if Baker was to come too.

Not when we still have a need in the middle for skill and speed. Midfield, wing, half back would all be up there.

I’ve always thought we were more likely to address the position later. Jesse Dattoli keeps on rising and could even catch Berry. Bid on Malakai Champion. Jacob Newton and Evan Bradley from SA. Rhys Unwin and Jasper Alger from Vic Country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get Bolton, I don't think we would go after Berry. We'd have Freddy, Switta, Bolton. Serong has started to play more stints up forward. If we get Baker, then he can be a swingman with stints up forward. Not sure Delean will make it, but nevertheless he's on the list. We've also got Basil Hart as a 2025 NGA prospect.

Not convinced on Berry anyway. He reminds me very much of Jack Billings.

I’d probably agree. If we were to spend probably two early picks to bring a forward half player like Bolton in, I doubt we’d then use a first on a small forward too. Especially if Baker was to come too.

Not when we still have a need in the middle for skill and speed. Midfield, wing, half back would all be up there.

I’ve always thought we were more likely to address the position later. Jesse Dattoli keeps on rising and could even catch Berry. Bid on Malakai Champion. Jacob Newton and Evan Bradley from SA. Rhys Unwin and Jasper Alger from Vic Country.
Hi Chris any one you suggest at our second first round pick ? ( assuming we will trade first and third first round picks and keep second one) Lindsay/ Travaglia or anyone else you consider?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don’t know if you’ve noticed but we have three players who aren’t very good playing small roles.

Berry looks very, very good and Bolton will slot in nicely

Yep, we pretty clearly have spots up for grabs for three small / medium forwards.

Walters / Emmett
Fredrick
Banfield

Any small/medium forward that does not apply pressure is a possibility for coming out.

Sturt (yes he can kick straight but he doesn't stop the rebound)
Banfield (too utilitarian)
Walters (age)
Frederick (should re-purpose himself on the wing)

None of the above provide any pressure on retaining the ball inside 50.

I would literally model the 3 positions on the Hawks setup (Moore, Watson, MacDonald). Bolton can go up the ground like Moore, Baker can play like MacDonald and we need a little maggot like Watson on the list (Switta will do for now).

What’s your thoughts on Ivan Starr? Looks a player

Thing that many are forgetting when talking forward pressure or lack thereof is that pressure is not simply a matter of executing the odd tackle or two.
Inferred pressure in the ability to kick straight(Sturt, Walters), mark strongly(Treacy, Frederick), run fast(Frederick, Switta) is more important than tackling.

Any small/medium forward that does not apply pressure is a possibility for coming out.

Sturt (yes he can kick straight but he doesn't stop the rebound)
Banfield (too utilitarian)
Walters (age)
Frederick (should re-purpose himself on the wing)

None of the above provide any pressure on retaining the ball inside 50.

I would literally model the 3 positions on the Hawks setup (Moore, Watson, MacDonald). Bolton can go up the ground like Moore, Baker can play like MacDonald and we need a little maggot like Watson on the list (Switta will do for now).
Frederick is way too fumbly to be a winger that’s gets it 25 times a game. Would be carnage on the rebound.

Freddy can appear a bit more fumbly than some others as he is often attempting to extract and go. Compare to say Serong whom I think is our cleanest ball handler who is usually dishing off immediately by hand or foot. Positive results variable with the latter.
By the by I think Draper is one of our cleanest handlers of ground balls and has the awareness to hit team mates in congested situations.

If we get Bolton, I don't think we would go after Berry. We'd have Freddy, Switta, Bolton. Serong has started to play more stints up forward. If we get Baker, then he can be a swingman with stints up forward. Not sure Delean will make it, but nevertheless he's on the list. We've also got Basil Hart as a 2025 NGA prospect.

Not convinced on Berry anyway. He reminds me very much of Jack Billings.
Agree regarding Berry

His highlight reel doesn't look any better than Coopers did and he was a mid 30's pick

Also Berry is very slight

Can't see us interested if we go for Bolton

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the unlikely event that we hit the draft with the three first round picks as they stand now, my preference would be:
  • Lalor - powerful mid/forward, loves to tackle and is versatile, maybe the knock on him is that he might already be developed and there may not be that much scope for improvement, but he's certainly the type of player we lack.
  • Lindsay - a beautiful left boot - think of a slightly smaller version of Young at HB, will transition into a full time mid eventually.
  • Travaglia - another tall HB who will transition into a mid, really good spatial awareness, and would be handy lining up on HB with Jordan Clark on one flank and Travaglia on the other.

Others of interest too are:
  • Bo Allan - who could perform a similar role to Travaglia.
  • Joe Berry - probably the most required type of player we need on our list as a small goalkicking forward.

That was a long time ago. He is pretty much one touch now. I'm sure there would be exceptions like all players. Was he fumbly against Geelong or something?
He’s the worst fumbler in the entire 22. I honestly can’t name one player worse than him in that regard. Mayne Emmett or Banfield are similar.

Are we even talking about the same guy? There was several examples last week alone.
I’m a fan of Freddy but he is NOT a clean ball handler, particularly when there’s a loose ball bobbling around. He’s actually a decent mark. He’s a good set shot. He’s very quick. He’s got an eye for goal.

But he’s most certainly not the guy to cleanly handle rushed handballs to his knees or win a loose ball around the centre of the ground. Those jobs are the bread and butter of any good modern wingman.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back