List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Compared to GC who traded a lot of their draft picks (who are nowhere near as successful) to GWS who drafted. All I am saying is generally trading gets you less value and is less effective than drafting.

Sure.
Checks notes

Melbourne: pick 1 Tom Scully
Pick 2: Jack Trengove

Trade: Steven May and Jake Lever.

Hawthorn

Brian Lake
Sean Burgoyne
Jack Gunston
Brent Guerra

Even with Hodge, Roughhead, Franklin, Mitchell, Lewis they still had to trade these players in and we only lost the Grand final by 13
I too would like to follow the Geelong model.
(Snag a heap of picks in the 2001 super draft) then basically don’t draft at the top again for years as they also had, checks notes again
THREE HALL OF FAME FATHER SONS come on to their list, then trade for two more hall of fame players who wanted to go home.

This argument is inane

Sure.
Checks notes

Melbourne: pick 1 Tom Scully
Pick 2: Jack Trengove

Trade: Steven May and Jake Lever.

Hawthorn

Brian Lake
Sean Burgoyne
Jack Gunston
Brent Guerra

Even with Hodge, Roughhead, Franklin, Mitchell, Lewis they still had to trade these players in and we only lost the Grand final by 13
I too would like to follow the Geelong model.
(Snag a heap of picks in the 2001 super draft) then basically don’t draft at the top again for years as they also had, checks notes again
THREE HALL OF FAME FATHER SONS come on to their list, then trade for two more hall of fame players who wanted to go home.

This argument is inane
Teams that have more sustained success draft. Hawks trades were cheapies value trades not 2 first round pick trades.

Compared to GC who traded a lot of their draft picks (who are nowhere near as successful) to GWS who drafted. All I am saying is generally trading gets you less value and is less effective than drafting.
I'm certainly not arguing that GC did a better job at list management, but it's completely pointless to use them as any sort of standard for Freo because we're playing by a different set of rules to them.

Teams that have more sustained success draft. Hawks trades were cheapies value trades not 2 first round pick trades.

Team that have sustained success also trade.
I mean ffs Geelong literally have three first team players now they traded in in 2022, using first round draft pick for one

Their sustained success is mainly set up in two drafts only.
1999 Joel Corey, Paul Chapman, Cameron Ling, Corey Enright. They also traded on Cameron Mooney

2001 -Jimmy Bartel, James Kelly, Steve Johnson, Gary Ablett Junior

They also did well with Selwood and Lonergan. Add those to Scarlett and Hawkins and you have sustained success.
But they also traded heavily. Cameron Mooney, Hamish McIntosh, Tom Harley, Rhys Stanley, Brad Ottens who cost two first round draft picks, Justin Murphy, Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson, Jeremy Cameron, Zac Smith, Zac Tuohy, Gary Rohan, Luke Dalhaus, Sean Higgins, Isaac Smith (UnFA).
Tyson Stengle as a DFA.
Jack Bowes, Ollie Henry, Tanner Bruhn.

In fact after Joel Selwood and Lonergan they had a lot of years where trading saved their year in terms of player acquisition.
Or they struck with late picks. Max Holmes, Ollie Dempsey.

So it would seem to me that the argument really is that they’ve stayed at the top because of trading not in spite of it.
They use every tool in the book. They don’t get an attack of the vapours at the thought of trading
Generational father sons don’t hurt either tbh

With out doubt we overpaid for Jackson. We paid a lot more than Geelong did for either Dangerfield, or Cameron.

Clark has been good, better than I thought he would be.

We got Hill at the wrong time - starting a rebuild, not topping up. Lucky for us St Kilda paid more for him.
JOM was probably contracted for a year too many. I don't know what role we targetted JOM for, but it appears to be a square peg, round hole issue.

I am all for trading out players during a rebuild, I think you can get some valuable picks this way. I hate bringing in players during a rebuild, especially C Grade players like Kersten, Colyer, etc. I think they offer nothing, a mature age recruit could not offer.

I am all for targeting players to fill gaps, but it rarely works to get contracted players. You always pay overs, and they very rarely help you win a flag. Kelly and Gibbs come to my mind. The only way we can make it fair, is to do both of the following

1. Be prepared to walk away.
2. Richmond badly want picks, and we play our cards very well.

I doubt we can pull it off.
The reason we overpaid for Jackson was we regressed and 10 wins landed us at 14th last year. Any other year and it was at least 11th or 10th.

Geelong never over pay since they seem to always finish at the top of the ladder.

I look forward to under paying in the future when we just have our picks to trade.

The reason we overpaid for Jackson was we regressed and 10 wins landed us at 14th last year. Any other year and it was at least 11th or 10th.

Geelong never over pay since they seem to always finish at the top of the ladder.

I look forward to under paying in the future when we just have our picks to trade.
I would argue the 2nd wasn't needed

Two firsts should have sufficed.

Geelong got 2 2nds back for Cameron. We wouldn't have negotiated aa hard.

I would argue the 2nd wasn't needed

Two firsts should have sufficed.

Geelong got 2 2nds back for Cameron. We wouldn't have negotiated aa hard.
It was a future 2nd and we got pick 44 & 67 back as well which was almost the same with futures worth less. We thought it was going to be around 35, not 25.

Our finishing position impacted it.

They ended up Knobel & Wagner for us while Melbourne traded it (was pick 34 on draft night) and it became Billy Wilson. He’s on zero games for Carlton, couldn’t crack a team decimated with injuries.

So in the end, I think we won out of the extra 2nd as 2023 draft was horrible for academies and everything went back a mile.

Any players to look out for from Swans and Claremont in the WAFL colts granfinal?

My grandson is playing for Swans so I hope he goes well and Swans come out with a win. Swans have had some nail biting wins to even get to the GF. Go Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Claremont had the following players invited to the draft combine.

Cody Angove
Hamish Davis
Clancy Dennis
Will Hayes
Aiden Riddle

Edit: Dennis is named at CHB

Last edited:
Futbolista did a great writeup here:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ty-comments-sun-sep-22.1387502/#post-85446185

Otis Harvey, Luke Cotellessa, Chayse Martinson - they may have a chance as a rookie list, but unlikely, but they will be good to watch anyway. Cathcart also would be thereabouts as well maybe had he not been injured a lot of the season.
Cheers mate. I hope it's a good game. Everyone can watch on channel7 on their website. Hope lots of folks do and comment whenever possible.

Draft watchers - I’d like to place an order for one Kai Lohmann in this years draft please?

Pick 9, 10, 17 whatever. Dont care what pick we use. Just get it done somehow please Freo.

The prototype match winner for modern AFL finals footy

Draft watchers - I’d like to place an order for one Kai Lohmann in this years draft please?

Pick 9, 10, 17 whatever. Dont care what pick we use. Just get it done somehow please Freo.

In rookie me central... the player they likened to Kai Lohmann is Ollie Hannaford !!!!!!

Yea he’s deadset gun

That said your probably forgetting boltens basically same player , with even more output overall (obviously older)

As for in draft , from my limited viewing I’d actually say Olly hannerfords a pretty close comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back