List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

One for next year

----

Fred Rodriguez was super impressive as a bottom ager for WA at this years champs, and showed more of the same in the futures game. Super clean at ground level and damaging with his disposals combining dash, elite decision making and solid ball skills to slice through the opposition.

Quick over the first few steps, good left foot and quick decisions/ vision. Lots to like.
Seemed a little Andrew McGrath like to me

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Quick over the first few steps, good left foot and quick decisions/ vision. Lots to like.
Seemed a little Andrew McGrath like to me

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well as an essendon supporter I know that McGrath's major weakness is his awful decision making, blazing kicks to nothing or blind dumping snap kicks forward. That's not going to be an issue for Fred, he's poised with the ball and decision making looks elite from what we've seen.

I'm still not finding myself overly enthused about this draft. The lack of a clear #1 certainly makes it interesting, but I think this draft is more about there being a big group of good players rather than a small group of great players at the top. I think Richmond will sell their draft group as a bunch of guys who all could have gone at #1, realistically though I think they'll be taking a bunch of guys who'd go around 8-10 in other drafts.

Pretty much every KPP has questions over them too, almost all of them will be drafted on size/potential rather than performances. A couple will get drafted in the first round (probably Armstrong and Tauru), but mid second round seems to be the sweet spot for them - and I don't think we can rule out us taking a shot at a KPF if we pick around there.

But this is my top 30 and I've bolded the guys I think we should be interested in...

1. Levi Ashcroft (179cm mid, Brisbane)
2. Finn O'Sullivan (182cm mid, Vic Country)
3. Harvey Langford (190cm mid, Vic Country)
4. Jagga Smith (181cm mid, Vic Metro)
5. Murphy Reid (180cm mid, Vic Metro)
6. Xavier Lindsay (183cm mid, Vic Country)
7. Sid Draper (182cm mid, South Australia)
8. Josh Smillie (194cm mid, Vic Metro)
9. Tobie Travaglia (187cm def, Vic Country)
10. Sam Lalor (187cm mid, Vic Country)

11. Leonardo Lombard (178cm mid, Gold Coast)
12. Harry Armstrong (195cm fwd, Vic Metro)
13. Joe Berry (180cm fwd, Vic Country)
14. Hamish Davis (190cm fwd, Western Australia)
15. Luke Trainor (194cm def, Vic Metro)
16. Bo Allan (191cm def/mid, Western Australia)
17. Taj Hotton (182cm mid/fwd, Vic Metro)
18. Harrison Oliver (181cm def, Vic Metro)
19. Cooper Hynes (190cm fwd, Vic Country)
20. Isaac Kako (175cm fwd, Vic Metro)

21. Angus Clarke (188cm def, South Australia)
22. Tom Gross (181cm mid, Vic Metro)
23. Jesse Dattoli (179cm mid/fwd, Vic Metro)
24. Sam Marshall (185cm mid, Brisbane)
25. Alix Tauru (193cm def, Vic Country)
26. Jobe Shanahan (194cm fwd, Allies)
27. Christian Moraes (183cm mid, Vic Metro)
28. Jack Whitlock (200cm fwd, Vic Country)
29. Noah Mraz (198cm def, Vic Country)
30. Jonty Faull (195cm fwd, Vic Country)

I'm still not finding myself overly enthused about this draft. The lack of a clear #1 certainly makes it interesting, but I think this draft is more about there being a big group of good players rather than a small group of great players at the top. I think Richmond will sell their draft group as a bunch of guys who all could have gone at #1, realistically though I think they'll be taking a bunch of guys who'd go around 8-10 in other drafts.

Pretty much every KPP has questions over them too, almost all of them will be drafted on size/potential rather than performances. A couple will get drafted in the first round (probably Armstrong and Tauru), but mid second round seems to be the sweet spot for them - and I don't think we can rule out us taking a shot at a KPF if we pick around there.

But this is my top 30 and I've bolded the guys I think we should be interested in...
Is Taj Hotton worth a gamble with a second round pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cody shapes as the number 1 key defender prospect in the pool entering 2025, although he's also played forward to great effect at Colts level this season. He's much stronger overhead than his brother Dan and looks a more intense competitor, similarly solid disposal skills but perhaps little less clean with the ground ball.

Don’t rate Hannaford?

Is Taj Hotton worth a gamble with a second round pick?

I feel like a team takes the chance around 15 to 20. If he plays this year, he probably goes top 10. But I'm not sure he quite fits us as well as others.

Don’t rate Hannaford?

Off the top of my head, I think I have him at #32. He's certainly the flavour of the month though.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back