List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I just can't get behind a tall of any kind at 14 (crazy to say about Freo). Too many other good options. We have more rucks and KPDs on our list than basically any other team and our KPFs are superstars under 23. I wouldn't be using top capital on one for another one for at least 4 years.
Yep, later picks or rookies only for KPP for at least 3 years or until a few become busts.

I don’t really buy the whole idea of Jackson as a midfielder. Little stints, sure. But not to the point of drafting a KPF solely for that reason.

But I do the see the value in taking one this draft. Voss has shown himself to be capable, but a clear step down. And we are lacking depth now that we’ve delisted Taberner, Corbett and Kuek. We’ll have to take one eventually.

So do we take a KPF that we really like early in Shanahan? Or do we take a chance late and hope for the best? There’s definitely an argument for picking Shanahan and not having to think about the key forward position for the next 5–10 years.
Shanahan's more a third tall roaming type.

Is Draper going to develop into the Pearce replacement?

If not, is there someone on the list who will?

That seems a more urgent question than: Do we have enough depth KPF?

I think with Oscar McDonald on the list as the backup for the next ~2 years you can wait and see what happens with Murphy/Davis + Jones if he stays.

But yeah Pearce probably the most important 'old' player on the list. Don't think you can fit another KPD on the list this year though, do it next year if one of the aforementioned stagnate/regress.

Draft rankings to better see who you can expect to be available around our picks. Happy to add anyone else you want to this and I'll update if I see someone change their rankings (I expect changes given the combine just finished).

I have removed points players who are no longer relevant to us now trading is done

1729132543622.png

By my understanding of the current NGA rules, the Eagles are pretty unlikely to keep their NGA Malakai Champion. Champion didn't have the strongest finish to the year, but he's getting draft predictions 40-60 while West Coast are saying they'd like to pick him up as a Cat B rookie. West Coast hold picks 12, 26 (both of which seem too high for Champion) and 73 (which has no attached point value with the 2024 adjustment). Surely a pick that has no attached point value cannot be used as part of the bidding process, even if a club is willing to go into a future deficit.

(Unfortunately, our pick 30 might also be too early to pick Champion—but if we hypothetically did pick him with 30, it seems like West Coast would be powerless to stop us?)

I also don't know what happens when bids come in for Academy players after pick 55 now that it has no value attached to it. Does the club with the F/S or Academy attachment just pick them up for free? Or could we pip them with our pick 67 (that will presumably be shuffled up the order by others teams bidding)?

If anyone knows otherwise on any of the bidding stuff, please correct me; I already found the bidding system inscrutable before the recent changes.

Whoever we take at 14, one thing guaranteed is walls saying afterwards, “we’re stoked we got him, we would have taken him with pick 10 if we’d kept it, so glad we got him with 14, we really rated him as top 7-10 player in this years pool and expect him to have a long and successful career at Fremantle”
Yep and he’d probably be right too!

Just sit back, relax and let him do what he does best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By my understanding of the current NGA rules, the Eagles are pretty unlikely to keep their NGA Malakai Champion. Champion didn't have the strongest finish to the year, but he's getting draft predictions 40-60 while West Coast are saying they'd like to pick him up as a Cat B rookie. West Coast hold picks 12, 26 (both of which seem too high for Champion) and 73 (which has no attached point value with the 2024 adjustment). Surely a pick that has no attached point value cannot be used as part of the bidding process, even if a club is willing to go into a future deficit.

(Unfortunately, our pick 30 might also be too early to pick Champion—but if we hypothetically did pick him with 30, it seems like West Coast would be powerless to stop us?)

I also don't know what happens when bids come in for Academy players after pick 55 now that it has no value attached to it. Does the club with the F/S or Academy attachment just pick them up for free? Or could we pip them with our pick 67 (that will presumably be shuffled up the order by others teams bidding)?

If anyone knows otherwise on any of the bidding stuff, please correct me; I already found the bidding system inscrutable before the recent changes.
My understanding is:

If we bid at 30 they can match and then the eagles 2nd rounder next year will slide back whatever the points deficit is.

If we bid at 67 they can match as long as they have the senior list spot available

Draft rankings to better see who you can expect to be available around our picks. Happy to add anyone else you want to this and I'll update if I see someone change their rankings (I expect changes given the combine just finished).

I have removed points players who are no longer relevant to us now trading is done

View attachment 2145625
Do we need to consider our picks as 17 as it will slide?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only way I would look at Champion is if he had indicated we are his preferred club.

Better if we don't play in the same puddles as WC.
Crazy to concede talent out of a sense of pride. Bo would obviously much rather come to Freo but I don't think that's gonna stop WCE if he's still on the board by their first rounder.

My understanding is:

If we bid at 30 they can match and then the eagles 2nd rounder next year will slide back whatever the points deficit is.

If we bid at 67 they can match as long as they have the senior list spot available
Also their pick 73 will move in substantially after all the bids are matched for Ashcroft, Kako, Lombard, Marshall and even one of the Campo twins could be bid on before champion, so whatever points deficit there is won’t be much.

From my small amount of viewing I'd prefer Hannaford to Berry if we're choosing. He looks to be more dynamic and plays with the intensity of a Ballas/Papley (and I can see him developing that nuggety physique that really helps the smalls to break and lay tackles). Both seem neat with their disposal and goal kicking rather than exceptional.

I'd take Lindsay as an outside mid with good skills if he's still available at our first.

From Wallsy's interview on SEN it didn't sound like they were too keen to add anything to the backline (and that's where they see Allen playing his best footy)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back