List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris25 is a fan of some of the lower profile small forwards as well. Personally I think Gross could be useful with his aggression.

I really don’t think we go small forward in the first round. I just don’t think it fits with our drafting philosophy. It’s why I’ve been talking about the other smalls later in the draft, especially with Bolton coming in.

The one caveat would be that pick 14 falls in a weird spot in the draft. Because I think the top couple of groups of players is about 15 deep. So it could well be that Berry is the one from that group who lasts - ideally a couple of talls like Trainor, Shanahan or Dodson go early.

Although I’d be going back to Richmond and seeing if they’d be interested in trading picks 14 and 30 for picks 20 and 24.

Pick 14 is an awkward position to be in on draft night as we are at the back end of the first round. I am NGL the choices are a bit underwhelming as they don't address list needs. We need another small forward but I have doubts Berry would shift the needle enough and we can definitely can afford to wait another year to see how Chad/Kozzie turns out.

Best case scenario is that we pick a player that slides from top ten (i.e. Travaglia/Lindsay).

PickTwomey PhantomThe Age Top 30
12Allan (KPD/Mid)Travaglia (Def/Mid)
13Lombard (Mid)Lindsay (Mid)
14Kako
(small fwd)
Trainor (KPF)
15Hotton (mid/fwd)Berry
(small fwd)
16Trainor (KPF)Hotton (mid/fwd)
17Berry (small fwd)Shanahan (KPF)
18Lindsay (Mid)Reid (mid/fwd)

Only need 1 or 2 players to jump up and it is fine. We can just wait and see - then trade down if we don't like who is left.

Suspect all our targets are gone though tbh.

Pick 14 is an awkward position to be in on draft night as we are at the back end of the first round. I am NGL the choices are a bit underwhelming as they don't address list needs. We need another small forward but I have doubts Berry would shift the needle enough and we can definitely can afford to wait another year to see how Chad/Kozzie turns out.

Best case scenario is that we pick a player that slides from top ten (i.e. Travaglia/Lindsay).

PickTwomey PhantomThe Age Top 30
12Allan (KPD/Mid)Travaglia (Def/Mid)
13Lombard (Mid)Lindsay (Mid)
14Kako
(small fwd)
Trainor (KPF)
15Hotton (mid/fwd)Berry
(small fwd)
16Trainor (KPF)Hotton (mid/fwd)
17Berry (small fwd)Shanahan (KPF)
18Lindsay (Mid)Reid (mid/fwd)
Really?
I’m pretty confident 1 of berry/hannerford/reid or Lindsay will be available at our pick , maybe even a choice of a couple .

The thing to remember with Richmond and saints to lesser degree have multiple picks ahead of us so can guarantee especially Richmond will be picking a few “needs” which will definitely see a couple talls go early

Really?
I’m pretty confident 1 of berry/hannerford/reid or Lindsay will be available at our pick , maybe even a choice of a couple .

The thing to remember with Richmond and saints to lesser degree have multiple picks ahead of us so can guarantee especially Richmond will be picking a few “needs” which will definitely see a couple talls go early
One of the small forwards will be available but I don't think either project to be elite. Might as well see how Kozzie goes next year.

Bird in the hand my friend….
While that is true, the real gold will be found outside the first round. Wallzy and Woodland will have their eye on some gems. Unless a player slides, I would trade pick 14 for overs and see what they can do. None of the players within range of our pick do anything for me.

See how we go!

Once Twomey's phantom comes out and we have a better idea who is in our range, I will consume bulk draft content on those blokes.

Been looking through the draft boards. 14 with whatever it ends up does seem just out of reach of the names I was most keen on. Would need someone to jump for Berry, Lindsay or Travaglia to be there and Reid is obviously a pipe dream.

As I have no interest in anyone over 192cm tall, seems like a Hannaford, Gross, Allan or Hotton
There'll be 1 or 2. Reckon there always is.

I reckon that comes in at least 10 spots the way the draft hands are at the moment
Judging by Walls record he does very well with picks in that range. I also love having Richmons 3rd as it will only be pushed back by free agent compensation from a pick that has a strong chance of being the first pick in third round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the amount of picks Richmond have I think the first round could take 4 days to complete with live pick trading in play. I reckon once we get to pick 10 it will be a cluster****
I think the only club that can justify trading into the first round is Essendon and I imagine they do it after the Kako bid. Just a question of which first they give up and which one they get

I think the only club that can justify trading into the first round is Essendon and I imagine they do it after the Kako bid. Just a question of which first they give up and which one they get

A lot will be trying to trade up.

Sydney have academy talent next year apparently.

Wouldn’t surprise me if I see 2025 pick 18 on the table along with pick 19 or 22 this year for say 16 from the giants or 14 from us

A lot will be trying to trade up.

Sydney have academy talent next year apparently.

Wouldn’t surprise me if I see 2025 pick 18 on the table along with pick 19 or 22 this year for say 16 from the giants or 14 from us
Times have changed, good luck matching bids on top 10 players without your first that year. Going to be a lot harder

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back