Preview 2025 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What I think we'll see round one, assuming the sub rule stays and everyone is fit.

Ryan Pearce Walker

Clarke Cox Chapman

NOD Young Sharp

Bolton Treacy Switta

Jackson Amiss Freddy

Ruck - Darcy Brayshaw Serong

Int - Fyfe JOM Johnson Sturt

Sub - Walters

What I think we'll see round one, assuming the sub rule stays and everyone is fit.

Ryan Pearce Walker

Clarke Cox Chapman

NOD Young Sharp

Bolton Treacy Switta

Jackson Amiss Freddy

Ruck - Darcy Brayshaw Serong

Int - Fyfe JOM Johnson Sturt

Sub - Walters
Depending on how his preseason goes, I don't see Walters as b23 anymore.

If I was picking the team I'd leave him out but think the club will start the season with JOM, Fyfe and Walters and the likes of Erasmus and Co will need an injury/poor form to get a run.
I think you're right.

We have typically started the season being ultra conservative. After round 1 we have then made changes that really should have been made for round 1.

I think you're right.

We have typically started the season being ultra conservative. After round 1 we have then made changes that really should have been made for round 1.

I hope we go for it from the start of the season rather than the ultra conservative way of the past.
At the best only one of Walters or Fyfe should be in the team. JOM maybe a chance before Walters and Fyfe if his training form is very good.
The greatest respect for Fyfe and Walters, who are true champions of the FFC, however if we are going to push our way high into the top part of the ladder in 2025 we are better off playing Erasmus and Johnson.

Sort of goes with my point though. Part of reason Mundy was so good was how consistently good he was.

But there’s a reason Pavlich and Sandilands have so many All Australians. They were so good compared to others that played their roles that Vic Bias couldn’t rob them. Fyfe won two Brownlows and probably wins a third if not for a BS suspension in 2014.

If you want to see a player underrated on the east coast look no further than McPharlin. I don’t think there was a better KPD in the 5-6 years he was at his best. Our record in finals with vs without him speaks for itself.
I’ll go another.
Dawson was significantly underrated on here.

He played in all the final series and effectively blanketed his opponents in that time. Didn’t have McPharlin in 2012 finals.

I don't think we're playing Cox, Pearce, Chapman, Ryan and Draper together. It's too tall. Draper is at Peel unless we have an injury IMO, and even then Oscar McDonald probably plays before him.
No way. Draper's improvement over the last 12 months has been insane. Playing him back and moving Chapman (replacing O'Meara) to the wing brings athleticism and more defensive accountability. Plus if he plays second tall Cox can play more of an intercept role but Josh can also play on quick leading small forwards.

I’ll go another.
Dawson was significantly underrated on here.

He played in all the final series and effectively blanketed his opponents in that time. Didn’t have McPharlin in 2012 finals.

He basically made two players (himself and his opponent) a non-event which given he was KPD meant he actually went alright.

His disposal made half the AFL world think he was a ginormous hack who had pictures of Ross Lyon but he was actually very good at defending and at the team stuff.

No way. Draper's improvement over the last 12 months has been insane. Playing him back and moving Chapman (replacing O'Meara) to the wing brings athleticism and more defensive accountability. Plus if he plays second tall Cox can play more of an intercept role but Josh can also play on quick leading small forwards.

Chapman doesn’t even belong in this conversation. Has never played like a tall and is more skilful than any defender on our list that isn’t named Jordan Clark.

We played McPharlin, Johnson, Dawson and Ibbotson together in 2013 and tbh I don’t think we had a natural match up for Gunston in the Grand Final. Ibbotson being fit might’ve won us a flag.

Draper can become absolute prime Ibbotson (the one that showed for about two months lol) except 10cm taller.

He basically made two players (himself and his opponent) a non-event which given he was KPD meant he actually went alright.

His disposal made half the AFL world think he was a ginormous hack who had pictures of Ross Lyon but he was actually very good at defending and at the team stuff.
Tbh lock down defenders shouldn’t be disposal aware.
He’s an underrated defender. Really liked him at Fremantle.
He was voted Best Finals player for St Kilda in 09 and 2010 I think.

This board does have a hate boner for JOM but the hot new young things bumping him from the team are now somewhat seasoned and hitting their straps. On the wing rotation, I think it's pretty reasonable for JOM to be behind:
  • Sharp: currently our best wingman
  • Johnson: best 22 all year, can play inside or outside
  • NOD: has shown he can produce at the level, certainly B22 form to end the year

After that, he's competing with 1 of [Fyfe/Erasmus] for a spot in the guts (unlikely), or more likely he's duking it out with Banners/Aish/Walters/[whichever of Fyfe/Erasmus isn't in the 22] for the sub role.

I'm sure JOM will still play plenty of games due to injury, form etc. but he's right on the cusp of B23 and could easily fall outside it. It also probably depends where Fyfe and Sonny sit coming into Round 1 - seems likely to me that at least one of Fyfe/Walters/JOM are in the team taking the field.

For me:
B - B.Walker A.Pearce L.Ryan
HB - J.Clark B.Cox H.Chapman
C - J.Sharp A.Brayshaw N.O’Driscoll
HF - S.Bolton J.Treacy S.Switkowski
F - L.Jackson J.Amiss M.Frederick
FOLL - S.Darcy C.Serong H.Young
I/C - C. Wagner, M.Johnson, S.Sturt, N. Fyfe
Sub - JOM (over B. Banfield, N.Erasmus, J.Aish, M. Walters)

Next men in:
KPD - Draper, OMac
Gen. Def - Aish, Worner
Ruck - Reidy
Guts - Erasmus, Brodie
Wingers - JOM, Banfield
KPF - Voss
Gen. Fwd - Banfield, Walters, Simpson

With Erasmus hopefully cementing his spot once he gets a chance.
Great honest post. If nothing else it looks like we have a good spread of talent with an ability to come in for injuries a play a role
Better still if they grab a spot and outperform.
Another preseason together with only really Shai to fit in is a big benefit too.
I think it’s also underrated how important it is for peel to be a strong competitive team as well especially for the younger guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chapman doesn’t even belong in this conversation. Has never played like a tall and is more skilful than any defender on our list that isn’t named Jordan Clark.

We played McPharlin, Johnson, Dawson and Ibbotson together in 2013 and tbh I don’t think we had a natural match up for Gunston in the Grand Final. Ibbotson being fit might’ve won us a flag.

Draper can become absolute prime Ibbotson (the one that showed for about two months lol) except 10cm taller.

Draper will be better than Igbo.

He’s quicker upstairs. Makes quicker decisions and moves the ball forward

Do think fyfe is still b23 in the clubs eyes with plans to rest him every second or third game. What the selection committee did to him in the second half of rhe 24 season not resting him was crazy - he was cooked, and erasmus was knocking the door down?

JOM becomes the new aish for me - good sub, good jack of all trades on bench. Aish may struggle unless strong preseason.

Surely waters is now peel unless he gets his zing back and starts crumbing not standing?

Tbh this is my greatest concern in 2025 - that the selection committee keeps favouring experience over form, and giving ex-elite chances - will never forgive them for playing tabs not reidy, and fyfe not erasmus, and jom not o’driscoll multiple games last season.

Aish, O’Meara, Banfield, Fyfe and Walters need to play the MAJORITY of the year at Peel. The kids like Drizz, Johnson and Erasmus need to be playing every week.

There will be times when they need to play because of injury etc. but the over should get first crack.
The improvement they can bring is going to drive us forward. Simpson is another

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2025 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back