Roast 2025 hopefully the year of being less shit. Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fogarty - from memory he was rated a top 5 even top 3 pick for his year up until several weeks out from the draft when his size and fitness were a concern for the clubs and as the draft got closer he was expected to drop considerably. The question is, did we pick him at 12 because we rated him the best player at 12 in the draft or did we simply rate him the best SA talent and what position did we exactly draft him for?

The uncomfortable truth is the kid is not a natural forward. He is a natural midfielder, just doesn't have the body for it. So we have tried to convert him into the second tall forward and use his size. But he has never been able to dominate as a deep forward. When he has looked good was when he is around the middle of the ground and he can run onto the ball.

So what was the plan here? Thats the big question. Oscar Allen and Bayley Fritsch were both available as forwards in this draft. Zac Bailey was also available.

So this is the big issue when it comes to list management and drafting isnt it? On one hand you have Hamish scouting certain players for certain positions then you have the club going nope, we are going to play them here. Which is a mind boggling decision when it comes to drafting especially the likes of Fogarty.

Twoomeys phantom draft had
- Fogarty a half forward flanker / midfielder.

Chayce Jones was a monumental screw up for his draft positon. We all know there were better rated mids available. This to me has a coaches box request for pace written all over it.

Ned McHenry
I hate to say it, but McHenry's failure is McHenry's failure more than the clubs. Even Twoomey got this one wrong as he was rated exactly where he went. As I've said previously though, I think a lot of people were fooled by McHenry due to his over the top fitness levels which would have made him stand out against his opponents. I don't think we can be blamed for this one. On a slightly sadder note, we probably could have had Butters and Jones by Taking Butters with our first pick. Dodged a bullet with Duursma though. Thanks Port.

Fischer McAsey
This was definitely a due diligence failure. Maybe more so arrogance, 'we can give him the culture to make him want to stay' that sort of thing. But what was considered homesickness, maybe it was something more? maybe he was questioning his over 'want and drive' to be an AFL footballer. I think his reluctance to chase a trade or even get back into football after leaving us probably absolves the club a little bit. I am 100% certain that if he was drafted by any club, he would no longer be an AFL footballer. It really does strike me he didn't have the drive.

Riley Thilthorpe
No brainer - happy with this one.

Luke Pedlar
He is a bust. Has had injury issues his entire footballing life. Had the potential there. This strikes me as a Hamish must get SA talent special. The fact Oliver Henry and Tanner Bruhn etc have played double the amount of games just makes this one hurt a little more.

Josh Rachele
He is still finding his game but he is earning his draft position.

Max - hit

Curtin - unknown.

So we are fitter than last year.

So why are we supposedly not working harder?

Coaches can't motivate players, particularly with slow starts where we are usually playing catch up?

Selectors won't drop underperfoming players even though they keep serving up poor performances?

But our negative game plan was a ****ing master-stroke... if we're deliberately wanting to cook a season before it started.

Our club sadly is awesome at being shit.

It's always been a boys' club. Roo on radio this morning could really only say they are all working hard and we should have faith. That's all his intelligence can muster and its completely demeaning to anyone with half a brain.

just two years after a Grand Final and just missing the finals for a second time, he called for an external review, basically tore the place down and rebuilt it because he felt the standards and image of the club was not present in the players or the back room. So an external review took place. Searching for elite standards, in other words to be the red bull formula 1 of AFL. Instead we have spluttered along into being the Alpine team if they had Sargent and Stroll as their drivers.

The question roo must answer is why 5 years on of being worse than the 2019 performance, is it suddenly acceptable and a poor performing coach who has made an incredible amount of mistakes at the selection table and on game day is allowed to skate into what could be a 7 year tenure?

Hell we could have just offered Blight a huge contract, come coach for the next 10 years, no pressure to achieve anything, just a cushy job. We will even sell it as a rebuild and you can do what you want with the team. Here, enjoy a long lunch with the boys?

Fogarty - from memory he was rated a top 5 even top 3 pick for his year up until several weeks out from the draft when his size and fitness were a concern for the clubs and as the draft got closer he was expected to drop considerably. The question is, did we pick him at 12 because we rated him the best player at 12 in the draft or did we simply rate him the best SA talent and what position did we exactly draft him for?

The uncomfortable truth is the kid is not a natural forward. He is a natural midfielder, just doesn't have the body for it. So we have tried to convert him into the second tall forward and use his size. But he has never been able to dominate as a deep forward. When he has looked good was when he is around the middle of the ground and he can run onto the ball.

In what world is Fogarty a natural midfielder and not a natural forward...?

Riley Thilthorpe
No brainer - happy with this one.

Luke Pedlar
He is a bust. Has had injury issues his entire footballing life. Had the potential there. This strikes me as a Hamish must get SA talent special. The fact Oliver Henry and Tanner Bruhn etc have played double the amount of games just makes this one hurt a little more.
Not sure if Brayden Cook should be under scrutiny too, given he was also a first round pick in this 2020 draft? (#25)

There were relatively a lot of SA players selected that year because of the Covid restictions on the Victorian juniors in particular (as well as travel). Hamish may not necessarily have had the SA blinkers on, although we can't discount it either.

Not sure if Brayden Cook should be under scrutiny too, given he was also a first round pick in this 2020 draft? (#25)

There were relatively a lot of SA players selected that year because of the Covid restictions on the Victorian juniors in particular (as well as travel). Hamish may not necessarily have had the SA blinkers on, although we can't discount it either.

When I say bust, I mean as a first selection. Wouldnt mind it if we picked him up as a second rounder etc. But where we grabbed him is a bust.

just two years after a Grand Final and just missing the finals for a second time, he called for an external review, basically tore the place down and rebuilt it because he felt the standards and image of the club was not present in the players or the back room. So an external review took place.

The external review lost all momentum when the management excluded themselves from the review.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best mids we have had success with are ones with
  • Ability to accumulate in juniors
  • Professional off field.

Disposals in brackets - The ones who fit this on our list are
Crouch (37d)
Soligo(31d)
Dowling (25d)
Dawson- (23D, 9T, 1.5G) playing mid/fwd in neafl. Played kpf in juniors I think.
Laird - Can't find numbers but draft profile quote: " had a natural feel of how to find the footy".

The one who don't fit the criteria:
Pedlar (N/A) was a big risk with next to no exposed form and no history of accumulating
Jones (21d) was not an accumulator
Gallucci (20d) was not an accumulator
Berry (17d) was not an accumulator
C. Edwards (17d) was not an accumulator and 14d a game in the SANFL is extrodiarly low. Not calling him a bust without seeing him, just point this out.
McHenry (15d) was not an accumulator (and he averaged 0.5g)
Shoenberg (27d) can accumulate but clearly doesnt have the drive.
Taylor (26d) has been too injured to judge.
Rachele (18d) played a mixed role so can't judge

Obviously being able to find the footy doesn't mean you are certain to make the grade or are a good footballer but seems something that is difficult develop if its not in their DNA. I'm thinking we'd have a higher success rate if we picked footballers who can find the footy as a base and then add strings to their bow. From what I heard from a friend of a recruiter, we use analytics and stats more than the eye for picks beyond around pick 30 and that might explain why we took Soligo and Dowling in the second/third round.

Hamish punts picks too much, targeting players with decent upside but also low floors (Edwards is the prime example here). So really banking these players to take massive leaps in development. It's pretty hard to pull off when you're not using top 10 picks on midfieldrs.

Our 5 best mids? Prime Laird, Crouch, Dawson, Soligo and hopefully Dowling. 5/6 best at accumulating on the list.

Last edited:
It's always been a boys' club. Roo on radio this morning could really only say they are all working hard and we should have faith. That's all his intelligence can muster and its completely demeaning to anyone with half a brain.
Yeah I errr reckon I reckon errhh yeah that yeah i reckon really really dumb people are in football Roo one of many many

Hamish is always trying to be smarter than everyone else and go for the unexpected.

That’s why he has more hits with later picks and hardly any in the first round.

Our drafting performance tells us this is a bad strategy.

All this working hard excuse is just crap.

From 2021-23 I think we could use that excuse. We made lots of mistakes, but the effort was there most weeks.

How many times this year though have we seen guys squib marking contests, not bother running defensively or not go when it's their turn? Also games where we've just come out looking flat out disinterested.

We look like we've decided it's all too hard. That goes for the coaches and officials too.

Ned is absolutely a cross

I think Jones still has a hope as a wing role player, but for the pick he was taken at he’s a cross

Rachele is a question mark, I have a lot of faith but you can’t say anything more about him at this point, particularly after this year’s general form

Pedlar also a ?

Thilthorpe a bit unfair to put a ? next to him, think he would’ve broken out had he not gotten injuried. Wait and see in 2025

Fogarty a tick, he’s been good for a pick 12

Curtin hopefully a tick now he’s being played in his best position

I thought it would be an interesting exercise to have a look at a few other clubs’ first selection from the same period. Not sure what we can extrapolate from it, but I had more fun collating this than writing reports!

Hawthorn

2016 – Harry Morrison

2017 – James Worpel

2018 - Jacob Koschitzke

2019 – Will Day

2020 - Denver Grainger-Barras

2021 – Josh Ward

2022 - Cam Mackenzie

2023 – Nick Watson

Sydney

2016 – Oliver Florent

2017 – Matthew Ling

2018 – Nick Blakey

2019 – Dylan Stephens

2020 – Logan McDonald

2021 – Lachlan McAndrew

2022 – Jacob Konstanty

2023 – Will Green

Carlton

2016 – Sam Petrevski-Seton

2017 – Paddy Dow

2018 – Sam Walsh

2019 – Brodie Kemp

2020 – Corey Durdin

2021 – Jesse Motlop

2022 – Oliver Hollands

2023 – Ashton Moir

Essendon

2016 – Andrew McGrath

2017 – Jordan Houlahan

2018 – Irving Mosquito

2019 – Harrison Jones

2020 – Nikolas Cox

2021 – Ben Hobbs

2022 – Elijah Tsatas

2023 – Nate Caddy

Fremantle

2016 – Griffin Logue

2017 – Andrew Brayshw

2018 – Sam Sturt

2019 – Hayden Young

2020 – Heath Chapman

2021 – Jye Amiss

2022 – Hugh Davies

2023 – Cooper Simpson

St Kilda

2016 – Ben Long

2017 – Hunter Clark

2018 – Max King

2019 – Ryan Byrnes

2020 – Matthew Allison

2021 – Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

2022 – Mattaes Phillipou

2023 – Darcy Wilson

Collingwood

2016 – Sam McLarty

2017 – Jaidyn Stephenson

2018 – Isaac Quaynor

2019 – Jay Rantall

2020 – Oliver Henry

2021 – Nick Daicos

2022 – Edward Allen

2023 – Harry Demattia

West Coast

2016 – Daniel Venables

2017 – Jarred Brander

2018 – Xavier O’Neill

2019 – Callum Jamieson

2020 – Luke Edwards

2021 – Campbell Chesser

2022 – Reuben Ginbey

2023 – Harley Reid

Bulldogs

2016 – Tim English

2017 – Aaron Naughton

2018 – Bailey Smith

2019 – Cody Weightman

2020 – Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

2021 – Sam Darcy

2022 – Jedd Busslinger

2023 – Ryley Sanders

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast 2025 hopefully the year of being less shit. Warning includes club criticisms

Back