Votes: 59 9.4%
  • 3rd Western Australia Team

Votes: 203 32.2%
  • Other

Votes: 29 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to say.
WA3 appears best. Capture the north Perth market locked out of the Eagles or go south and build on a growth area.
Canberra is meh the safe boring option
For cultural Australian reasons the Darwin/Cairns bid is the dynamic bold sexy option. The best option. A few roadblocks. Given the topography and heat I doubt Darwin will boom. Also the distance. And a 6 4 1 spilt if you include Alice or a 7 4 split is a hard sell to retain players.
Would need commitment but that would be the peoples choice. A 20th team is overkill so needs a bold dynamic approach
Would need a bloody good and unique culture to begin with
If there has to be a 20th team make it happen. Would revolutionise the NT and put northern Australia on the map

This has been said before, but I'll say it again.

The fact that we are having this conversation about where to put a 20th team, goes to show we need more than one.

We certainly need at least 21. :p

Seriously, though, I don't get your argument. The reason why Canberra and Perth 3 get raised is because they're both viable options, not because neither of them are.

The question is more whether 20 is enough, not where the 20th is going to come from.

That's true. Either that, or a NZ team, if Auckland can get a viable ground going.

I think there'll be enough talent for 22 teams by 2050 so it'd be a shame for Canberra or Perth 3 to miss out. I'd like to see them both come in before 2050 with team 22 being well up in the air, if ever happening at all.
Well at least you live in WA, so you know what it's like here, and your opinion on WA3 is valid.

WA3 comes up as a viable option because of population. Not the desire for a third team. I think most WA people would be completely apathetic if asked about a third team.

Hard to say.
WA3 appears best. Capture the north Perth market locked out of the Eagles or go south and build on a growth area.
Canberra is meh the safe boring option
For cultural Australian reasons the Darwin/Cairns bid is the dynamic bold sexy option. The best option. A few roadblocks. Given the topography and heat I doubt Darwin will boom. Also the distance. And a 6 4 1 spilt if you include Alice or a 7 4 split is a hard sell to retain players.
Would need commitment but that would be the peoples choice. A 20th team is overkill so needs a bold dynamic approach
Would need a bloody good and unique culture to begin with
If there has to be a 20th team make it happen. Would revolutionise the NT and put northern Australia on the map
NT is the romantic choice, but the team would forever be propped up by the AFL. They don't want that.

Well at least you live in WA, so you know what it's like here, and your opinion on WA3 is valid.

WA3 comes up as a viable option because of population. Not the desire for a third team. I think most WA people would be completely apathetic if asked about a third team.
Yeah and you're 100% correct about the desire for a third team, in that there isn't really any. The people I've spoken to about it, admittedly not many, mind you, are against it, and a lot of them are Eagles supporters. They think it'll weaken WA given how shit the Eagles are and the Dockers aren't that crash hot either. They don't give a rats about the financial side of things.

If their views are a broader reflection of the wider public (which I'm not sure) then WA3 could be a big mistake. It really has to be driven by a public push for it IMO the same way Norwood could be.

Because a lot of Eagles supporters are just gonna stick with the Eagles and not necessarily sign up for Perth 3. A couple of the guys I've spoken to about it are Eagles members, too.

Instead of jumping on WA3, they just won't bother turning up. Of those 50k members who can't get a seat, it's hard to say how many are busting their nuts to see live footy that they'll jump ship. The Eagles were the de-facto state team and are hard to break up, let alone supplant.

I mean, imagine a day where the Pies have 150k members. Would they jump ship for the return of Fitzroy? Probably not.

Optus should've been built to go up to 80k, though, not just 70k.

Yeah and you're 100% correct about the desire for a third team, in that there isn't really any. The people I've spoken to about it, admittedly not many, mind you, are against it, and a lot of them are Eagles supporters. They think it'll weaken WA given how s**t the Eagles are and the Dockers aren't that crash hot either. They don't give a rats about the financial side of things.

If their views are a broader reflection of the wider public (which I'm not sure) then WA3 could be a big mistake. It really has to be driven by a public push for it IMO the same way Norwood could be.

Because a lot of Eagles supporters are just gonna stick with the Eagles and not necessarily sign up for Perth 3. A couple of the guys I've spoken to about it are Eagles members, too.

Instead of jumping on WA3, they just won't bother turning up. Of those 50k members who can't get a seat, it's hard to say how many are busting their nuts to see live footy that they'll jump ship. The Eagles were the de-facto state team and are hard to break up, let alone supplant.

I mean, imagine a day where the Pies have 150k members. Would they jump ship for the return of Fitzroy? Probably not.

Optus should've been built to go up to 80k, though, not just 70k.
So, when would you think WA3 would be a viable option?

Or do you think the AFL should just create it and hope there are supporters?

So, when would you think WA3 would be a viable option?

Or do you think the AFL should just create it and hope there are supporters?
I don't know, but I'd probably play more hard ball in Dillon's position, just come out and say they understand the argument about 50k Eagles members who can't get a seat but that doesn't mean they'll jump ship.

I'd want to see a petition based in WA that can get, say, over 50k signatures or maybe 100k, plus the WAFC coming forward and wanting a third team, and better yet backed by the Eagles and Dockers (if they want it for an extra Optus game).

Or even do a private survey for Eagles members only - they're the target, after all.

Then I'd strongly consider it, and if they're smart, they'd get public input on team colours, mascot, name. The input needs to come heavily from the locals, especially Eagles supporters.

Like one guy in an article years ago said he could get behind the "Perth Sharks." So it's gonna have to be a name/mascot/colours chosen by the people, for the people, like Tassie, just um... no state jumpers apparently.

What about a North Australia team, covering NT, North Qld and North WA, based out of Darwin. A regional team in the same vein as the New England Patriots. Play most games in Darwin, but take games to Cairns, Toowoomba, Rocky, Broome etc. Their purpose is growing the game, bringing it to areas that aren't big enough to host their own team, but collectively big enough to become a juggernaut.

What about a North Australia team, covering NT, North Qld and North WA, based out of Darwin. A regional team in the same vein as the New England Patriots. Play most games in Darwin, but take games to Cairns, Toowoomba, Rocky, Broome etc. Their purpose is growing the game, bringing it to areas that aren't big enough to host their own team, but collectively big enough to become a juggernaut.
Way too much travel.

Say they're primarily based out of Darwin and play 7 games there. No matter which way you slice it, that's 16 long ass road trips, doesn't make them any less just because a few of those are "home."

It becomes 18 if you extend to 25 games per year, having them play 7 in Darwin, 4 in Cairns, 1 in Alice Springs.

Even NT standalone would still be 14 road trips away from Darwin, assuming a 9/2 split of games between Darwin and Alice Springs.

So I'd say NA ain't happening unless we can $2 billion of funding for it and even then, the travel schedule would just be too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s crazy is that the 20th team will actually be Norwood / SA3.

Literally the most unexpected.

We have all seriously underestimated it.
You think so?

Do we even know for sure that they’re bidding for it?

If they do, I wonder if WA will say, “Wait a minute.”

Surely WA3 is still the favourite, Canberra second, Norwood third.

Norwood doesn’t make sense, Adelaide don’t have 100k members like the Eagles do. There’s so much less to peel off.

Also, it’s going to suck so badly if they can’t even use their traditional colours.

What’s so hard about the away team wearing all white when Norwood and Melbourne play each other. Nah, too much of a head**** for the AFL it seems.

What’s crazy is that the 20th team will actually be Norwood / SA3.

Literally the most unexpected.

We have all seriously underestimated it.

It won't be.

Just because they've put their hand up doesn't mean they'll get it.

The NRL picks from bids, the AFL puts teams where they want them. And it makes no sense for the AFL to put the 20th team in SA.

It won't be.

Just because they've put their hand up doesn't mean they'll get it.

The NRL picks from bids, the AFL puts teams where they want them. And it makes no sense for the AFL to put the 20th team in SA.
If its not WA3, they will find a way to make it NT.
Tas only got a very reluctant "offer" the clubs were hoping (and deserved) to be rejected, just so the AFL PR machine could say Tas were given a chance. NT is the other one that makes PR sense.
The only concern may be that NT, like Tas, unexpectedly gives in to over-the-top demands.

Canberra makes the most sense to me, but don't expect the ACT government to fold like Tas did. They aren't even keen on a new rectangular stadium to hold 2-3 full time teams with higher political demand. An overhauled Canberra Stadium is far more likely for the Raiders, Brumbies and (suddenly doubtful again) A-League Men.
They won't be building a new oval next to Civic, or making Manuka a 25k roofed venue. Rooves over the existing open seating, and hugely required upgraded toilet facilities would be about it.

And the AFL seem to see Canberra as part of "greater western sydney", certainly Melbourne media see it as Giants territory. So, I don't expect Canberra to be given serious consideration.

Last edited:
If its not WA3, they will find a way to make it NT.
Tas only got a very reluctant "offer" the clubs were hoping (and deserved) to be rejected, just so the AFL PR machine could say Tas were given a chance. NT is the other one that makes PR sense.
The only concern may be that NT, like Tas, unexpectedly gives in to over-the-top demands.

Canberra makes the most sense to me, but don't expect the ACT government to fold like Tas did. They aren't even keen on a new rectangular stadium to hold 2-3 full time teams with higher political demand. An overhauled Canberra Stadium is far more likely for the Raiders, Brumbies and (suddenly doubtful again) A-League Men.
They won't be building a new oval next to Civic, or making Manuka a 25k roofed venue. Rooves over the existing open seating, and hugely required upgraded toilet facilities would be about it.

And the AFL seem to see Canberra as part of "greater western sydney", certainly Melbourne media see it as Giants territory. So, I don't expect Canberra to be given serious consideration.
If it’s not WA3 or ACT, it’ll be Norwood, but I think it will be WA3 if ACT is out because I can see them not wanting SA to get a third side before they do.

I expect it will be WA3, assuming Tasmania happens. And given JLN's deal with the Libs is just as extortionate as the AFL's deal with Tas Libs, all Rockliff (more likely Ferguson by that stage) has to do is put stadium funding into the budget with no explanation of how he's going to limit the damage.
JLN seem to have signed on to pass all budget measures unamended, and O'Byrne is pro-stadium if not pro-Liberal, so it will pass the lower house so long as one line item is in the next budget.

Anybody suggesting WA, SA or NT is utterly detached from reality and common sense, sorry.

I expect it will be WA3, assuming Tasmania happens. And given JLN's deal with the Libs is just as extortionate as the AFL's deal with Tas Libs
Extortion? You must be referring to this:

"We will not finalise those contracts, we will not roll them over with Hawthorn and North Melbourne until we have a starting point from the AFL … in regards to a new Tasmanian AFL team."

That's a horrible idea, new england is a speck compared to northern australia. A Darwin team isn't even feasible let alone if you force them to travel all around the North of australia on top of that, would be hard enough to get proper a proper stadium/facilities built in Darwin, nevermind north queensland and broome. They will have massive retention issues.

Crazy that a 20th team is even being spoken about, 18 teams is arguably too many and has spread the talent too thin, especially with how compromised the draft is these days. Adding Tasmania without cutting one of the struggling victorian clubs will prove to be a blunder and doubling down with a 20th team will make it even worse.

I can't speak for SA but given WA has a million more people than SA I can't see the situation being much different, but a 3rd WA team is just another shit idea. Adding a 3rd club won't create any new footy fans out of thin air, you're just going to be cutting a piece out of the existing pie and if anything I think it will hurt Fremantle more than West coast and might just result in 2 financially weaker clubs. Also can't see a 3rd WA team getting as much of a leg up as GC and GWS did when they came in given we arent an "expansion state", and certainly won't be getting the academy benefits either, and neither one of those clubs have won a flag yet in a nearly combined 30 seasons in the league so more than a good chance it'd just end up as another Fremantle who is still yet to win a flag after almost 30 years, no offense to any freo fans.

Just screams of the new AFL admin wanting to leave their mark on the game and give the next tv rights deal a big boost, rather than doing what's in the best interests of the game.

You think so?

Do we even know for sure that they’re bidding for it?

If they do, I wonder if WA will say, “Wait a minute.”

Surely WA3 is still the favourite, Canberra second, Norwood third.

Norwood doesn’t make sense, Adelaide don’t have 100k members like the Eagles do. There’s so much less to peel off.

Also, it’s going to suck so badly if they can’t even use their traditional colours.

What’s so hard about the away team wearing all white when Norwood and Melbourne play each other. Nah, too much of a head* for the AFL it seems.
How about Norwood-Sturt Chameleons ?

Two shades of Blue and Red is their natural colours.

Away - any colours they like

Last edited:
Nah it'd be Norwood solo and should be their traditional colours.

But I still think it's out of WA and ACT.
Melbourne would kick up a stink but don't have the same clout as Collingwood.
Not that Norwood have a lot of red on their home kit anyway. Maybe have a Port Melbourne like away kit except perhaps with a red number panel, but might need something else against Melbourne (the AFL loves to enforce white into clash kits).

But I just can't see SA3 happening at less than 26 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion 20th AFL team location

Back