20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe people are talking about Newcastle and Auckland ahead Oof Perth. What the hell are we doing here? What stadium will those teams play in?

I can't believe people are talking about Newcastle and Auckland ahead Oof Perth. What the hell are we doing here? What stadium will those teams play in?

People are talking about them for a hypothetical 21/22 expansion. Nobody is realistically thinking either of them in the next decade.

People are talking about them for a hypothetical 21/22 expansion. Nobody is realistically thinking either of them in the next decade.
But again they shouldn't be ahead of WA or even SA for a 21/22 expansion, nor considered for 2050.

Growing the game is a high risk no guaranteed return.

But again they shouldn't be ahead of WA

If Auckland has the infrastructure in 2050, and it comes down to a third team in a city of 2.9m, or a first team in a city of 2.5m, but representing a market of 6m, it seems a pretty clear choice to me.

Personally, I don't think WA3 should ever be a trigger for expansion. Only as a balancing "safe" option if expansion is already occurring.

or even SA for a 21/22 expansion, nor considered for 2050.

SA3 isn't ready for Team 20, and Adelaide's population is growing slower than the rest of Australia's.

SA3 only gets weaker as a choice by 2050.

SA3 isn't ready for Team 20, and Adelaide's population is growing slower than the rest of Australia's.

SA3 only gets weaker as a choice by 2050.
Agree with you 100% on SA3. Not sure why proponents think SA3 will ever beat WA3, Canberra or even NT/NQ (if they get substantial commonwealth $) for team 20. By 2050 the relative case for SA3 only gets weaker.

Your post isn't worth responding to especially since you're not a fan of the game.
How am I not a fan of the game because I am against expansion in a city with no big prospects and against attempts to grow the game that is already big enough?

If anything the AFL should look at Wollongong, which has been left abandoned by other codes, and has more opportunities than Newcastle.

Last edited:
If Auckland has the infrastructure in 2050, and it comes down to a third team in a city of 2.9m, or a first team in a city of 2.5m, but representing a market of 6m, it seems a pretty clear choice to me.

Personally, I don't think WA3 should ever be a trigger for expansion. Only as a balancing "safe" option if expansion is already occurring.
Never heard of demands from New Zealand. Don't think the Wahs are that big enough to trigger an AFL team, and the recent Auckland FC was only possible due to Vegas sugar daddies.

Just an entirely new market, twice the size of Western Sydney, opening up a new time zone.

NZ would be an even bigger carrot than Western Sydney.

Will need much more work than Western Sydney, which is part of the country at least and foundation has been laid. NZ has no foundation or prospects for Australian rules football.

And a New Zealand AFL team will definitely not be your Bluejays and Raptors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will need much more work than Western Sydney, which is part of the country at least and foundation has been laid. NZ has no foundation or prospects for Australian rules football.

Didn't say it would be easier than Western Sydney, but the payoff would be bigger.

But I wouldn't say the foundations are that different. Greater Western Sydney was pretty sparse before the Giants. From my count, they had 15 senior men's teams in 2011. NZ already has 14.

Didn't say it would be easier than Western Sydney, but the payoff would be bigger.

But I wouldn't say the foundations are that different. Greater Western Sydney was pretty sparse before the Giants. From my count, they had 15 senior men's teams in 2011. NZ already has 14.
Don't think a comparison between a region and an entire country is the best.

If it was 14 teams in the North Island, then it would be a different story.

Will need much more work than Western Sydney,

Western Sydney is easily the hardest gig for the AFL.

which is part of the country

But AFL is not considered Australian by a huge number of ill-informed.

at least and foundation has been laid.

What foundation - a ferociously negative media continually trying to drag AFL down.

NZ has no foundation or prospects for Australian rules football.

Such ignorance. N.Z. was strong in N.Z., stronger than NSW and Qld but faltered mainly due to the decimation WWI.
football in N.Z. has recovered a fair bit.
The big difference is that New Zealanders don't see it as an "invasion" but as an opportunity to beat Australians at their own game.

Only 18% of New Zealanders are Maori.

There is a long history of Australian Football and AFL in New Zealand up unitil Covid.
You should possibly do some research in that area instead of showing your ignorance all the time.
Long history of Australian rules football pre-federation, brought by Victorian expatriates that really halted during the wars.

Only thing that really happened magnificent was Saints hosting 3 games in Wellington, that sparked some reaction, then it really faded away as soon they pulled out.

Western Sydney is a challange but there's one factor that differentiates between the two. It's a domestic market in a fast growing region, and a team already being fielded in the state.

Even if I am ignorant, see almost no one, especially New Zealanders that are heavily pushing the idea.

I'd only be for moving into new Zealand after the giants are at the swans current level and the suns are well established too. Meaning Australia is mostly tied up with strong teams everywhere. They'd be biting off too much going there at the moment.

I also have concerns about the kiwi publics disdain for Australian things.

Long history of Australian rules football pre-federation, brought by Victorian expatriates that really halted during the wars.

Long history of Australian Football pre-federation, brought by various colonists that really halted during the wars
and clubs decimated by the deaths of players. North Freemantle lost 19 players in WWI to cease to exist.

Only thing that really happened magnificent was Saints hosting 3 games in Wellington,

One thing that really happened magnificent was Saints hosting 3 games in Wellington
along with increase in Australian Football to 35,000.

that sparked some reaction,

The initial game drew a crowd of 25,000 in Wellington, a city of 400,000.
pretty damn impressive.
Even if I am ignorant, see almost no one,

The ignorant cannot see. that's the meaning of ignorance.
N.Z. is halted because of a stadium issue that doesn't seemed to be resolved anytime soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

20th AFL Team

Back